The Smiths on Conan

Nice. Great how he slips in The Smiths reference considering the average age of this american watchers is probably late 20s to mid 30s . They are probably going "Smiths - ?????? " Conan is just trying to bring new fans to the greatness of the The Smiths ............. and Mozzy !

Did anyone else catch this when it aired?

Last edited by a moderator:
Nice. Great how he slips in The Smiths reference considering the average age of this american watchers is probably late 20s to mid 30s . They are probably going "Smiths - ?????? " Conan is just trying to bring new fans to the greatness of the The Smiths ............. and Mozzy !

Newsflash. The Smiths have been popular again since, like, 2005. Have you not stepped foot in a bar or coffee shop anytime in the last decade?

David, you are the clever one . What made you pick 2005 as a year ? Is that when you were in school ? Do you live in the UK ? Please step outside your circle of friends and ask anyone you work with if they heard of The Smiths . I did and struck out any times. I tried to put the odds in my favor and asked people who I knew listened to music that was simular even playing Smith music for them ..... again no luck . I love The Smiths but many , many people do not know them. I have a picture of Moz and several Smiths album covers (pictures) on my desk at work and very rarely does someone say "Wow , The Smiths ? " In the USA they just weren't that big

Last edited:
The Smiths were never big in the US. The Cure and Depeche Mode were and even New Order "made it".

The only single that charted barely into the top 40 in the states was "How Soon Is Now?" (and that was on the dance singles chart, not even the pop or rock chart!) and most Americans know that only through the intro to the TV show Charmed, and even that was a cover.

There has been a resurgence in US Smiths knowledge in the past few years because of the films "500 Days Of Summer" and "The Perks Of Being A Wallflower", as well as celebs on twitter and cool kids on tumblr posting Smiths stuff.

I would actually say the name Morrissey would ring a bell to the average US citizen way before The Smiths would. And I would wager that percentile would be less than 20% of people aged 16 to 50.

There has been a resurgence in US Smiths knowledge in the past few years because of the films "500 Days Of Summer" and "The Perks Of Being A Wallflower", as well as celebs on twitter and cool kids on tumblr posting Smiths stuff.

Hate those f***ers.

I was at a bicycle shop about 6 months ago looking at new Mt bikes for my kids. My wife and I had decided the model we were probably going to get them. A kid, about 19-20, was very helpful in assessing the model, money we wanted to spend and type of use it would get. We were not going to buy that day but think about it overnight as we generally do. Right when we were wrapping up, This Charming Man plays throughout the store on whatever music channel they had playing. I hum it in my head and get pretty happy. I tell the kid, if you can tell me what band is playing, we will buy these bikes this afternoon. The kid thinks for a second then says, "Morrissey, The Smiths". With a big grin I said ring me up. The kids rode those bikes all afternoon.

Mind you this kid was not even born when I first heard this song. The smiths are known, even with today's youth.

Nice story No1uno . I was in my local small town doing some shopping in downtown area when I heard a Smith's song drifting in the air. I started wondering about to see if i could track it down. Finally in front of a small vintage record store (called Endangered Species) the owner had set a small speaker out on the sidewalk and was playing the whole album "The Queen is Dead" . I went in and ended up buying the CD 'World of Morrissey' ............. I had to give support to anyone willing to play The Smiths !!!!!!!!!!

Guernie, I would have probably bought a cd to. The power of morrissey can have some pretty cool moments. Thanks for sharing yours.

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom