time to drop the smiths songs

"play some classics", The Smiths had classics too:eek: I would love him to play Speedway again too but wouldn't it be better to have a balance of classic smiths and Morrissey along with recent songs?

I don't like Morrissey doing 'How Soon is now' and 'There is a light that never goes out'. They are a Smiths Classic and shouldn't be performed unless Marr is on Guitar, Rourke on the bass, and Joyce on the drums and session musicians in the background. I like him doing Panic and Girlfriend in a Coma; I wouldn't want him to drop those from his set list because for someone as young as me to hear a few Smiths song is a wonderful experience and a magical few moments. It could also be worse, he could 'The Boy with a Thorn in his side' and other songs!

I would like to hear some of his older solo work though; I'm only seventeen and haven't had the chance to hear songs like "The Last of The Famous International Playboys". My favourite Morrissey song and probably my favourite song of any artist! It would give me a great feeling to hear that performed live.

^^ That's my favourite Morrissey song too :eek: If only he would play that... :rolleyes:

Well I don't think that the Smiths songs should be dropped alltogether. Some of the songs during this tour like 'Still Ill' 'William' and 'Panic' were great to hear live.

But I agree that the Morrissey back catalogue have some amazing songs, that really should be played live. During the last tour the highlights for me were hearing songs like "Now My Heart is Full and 'I Changed My Plea To Guilty' whereas some Smiths songs like 'How Soon is Now' and 'Girlfriend in a Coma' I heard too much.

^^ That's my favourite Morrissey song too :eek: If only he would play that... :rolleyes:

I presume you're talking to me I have gotten used to the ^^ yet! I've seen a live video clip from his concert in Dallas in 1991 and he performed it, I think it was a decent performance, but not great, he left some of the lyrics out and played with others! If he was to perform it again, I would love to hear it in it's full element! I want to hear the lines

In our lifetime those who kill The newsworld hands them stardom

I never wanted to kill
I am not naturally evil
Such things I do
Just to make myself
More attractive to you
Have I failed ?

These two sections of the song, show what a musical genius Morrissey truly is, how this song has no recognition of any type quite frankly leaves me sickened to my stomach!

Last date of setlist was:

five Smiths songs
eight ROTT plus one b-side
four old solo stuff
three YATQ plus one b-side

The setlist is well-balanced and possibly he could have less Smiths songs, but no need to drop them all.

I presume you're talking to me I have gotten used to the ^^ yet! I've seen a live video clip from his concert in Dallas in 1991 and he performed it, I think it was a decent performance, but not great, he left some of the lyrics out and played with others! If he was to perform it again, I would love to hear it in it's full element! I want to hear the lines

In our lifetime those who kill The newsworld hands them stardom

I never wanted to kill
I am not naturally evil
Such things I do
Just to make myself
More attractive to you
Have I failed ?

These two sections of the song, show what a musical genius Morrissey truly is, how this song has no recognition of any type quite frankly leaves me sickened to my stomach!

Life is never fair, Quicksand. And perhaps it is a good thing for most of us that it is not.

About 4/5 Smiths songs in an 18 or so song setlist is, I think, pretty spot on. His recent choices of Smiths songs I could argue with, but the amount is right.

I think that for both Morrissey and us that there is such a cathartic experience and that they are such an important part of the history that they have to be there and i always love to hear Morrissey singing Smiths songs

Alan

I don't mind hearing a few Smiths songs. I think he found a nice balance between smiths - old solo - new solo stuff. I agree he should drop "Girlfriend in a coma" because it'is - quite frankly - weak but I wouldn't mind hearing almost anything else coming from the Smiths back catalogue.

Life is never fair, Quicksand. And perhaps it is a good thing for most of us that it is not.

You're great! Welcome aboard, your witty insults have deeply and truly captivated me, please post more, oh mighty one. So I can pay homage to someone as great as yourself!

Everyone goes nuts when he does a Smiths song. Okay, he only ever does sort-of slightly predictable, overplayed ones (Coma, Panic, William, HSIN...) but even so. It's nice to have a few in there. He was speaking the words to 'I Want The One I Can't Have' on 22/12 and I was truly, truly disappointed they didn't play it. That sort of thing would be so cool to get dropped in occasionally!

I agree with whoever said it: what I'd rly like to hear is older and more obscure solo stuff. Honestly, my highlights of last Fri were National Front Disco, Disappointed and Daddy's Voice

I think he should still play the smiths songs, but rotate them. He could play for 6 hours with his back catalogue, and I would like to hear songs like Suedehead etc live, because I was only 2 yrs old when that was released, so didn't really get a chance to hear it live.

When he first started to play Smiths songs, I was a little bit uncomfertable with the idea, but I soon came round! It would be nice to havemore variety in the chioces though, I agree.

Back
Top Bottom