Tim's Twitter Listening Party - "The Queen is Dead" with Mike Joyce (Sep. 12, 2020)

• Thread starter Deleted member 29235
  • Start date
On Saturday September 12th at 9pm, Tim Burgess's #TimsTwitterListeningParty will feature 'The Queen is Dead,' with commentary by Mike Joyce.

Posted by Nobody of importance:

Not sure if this has been posted yet, but here is a replay of the listening party in case you missed it live and want to read the tweets as you listen to the record.

Last edited by a moderator:
Why does Haslam have to chime in every few minutes, and where was John Robb? Has Haslam got him locked in a cupboard, so he doesn't steal his thunder? As for Mick Middles, he'd probably struggle to work out how to use Twitter.

Yeah, that one caught my eye too. I always heard it as "Weird lover Wilde" as well.

Also, the thought of "smurf Moz" trying to communicate with the others while they're pissing themselves laughing is too cute.

Yes listening to it, and thinking it may be one of those ear trick things, but by golly!

I think Joyce is ..... :paranoid: .... right!

Never thought you’d hear me say that!
now did ya?

:lbf::)

Yes listening to it, and thinking it may be one of those ear trick things, but by golly!

I think Joyce is ..... :paranoid: .... right!

Never thought you’d hear me say that!
now did ya?

:lbf::)

I knew it was in your heart, waiting to be teased out.

I've scrolled through most of the tweets around this listening party, and there's a bit less anti-Morrissey sentiment than I would have expected. Don't think we can read anything into that, except to say (obviously!) that these songs meant - and continue to mean - sooo much to a lot of people.

The one thing that made me laugh was Mike Joyce's comment about hearing Morrissey sing "I Know It's Over" for the first time, and that making him concerned about M's mental health. Like: it really hadn't struck you at any time before that moment, Mike?!

If you've worked on an album for weeks or months, you KNOW it, you don't have to listen back to it. Johnny's said the same thing.
Not really... he never heard the vocals until the end

Lovely.

I love this dig at "multi-talented people" from a February 1987 radio interview with Dave Fanning. So shortly before the split, when multi-talented wunderkind Johnny left to work with other multi-talented people and to stick his multi-talented finger into other people's... pies... or something.

"I don’t want to venture outside the garden gate and be this multi-talented finger in every pie. I don’t like multi-talented people.”

does anybody has this interview? It is not on youtube :(

Not really... he never heard the vocals until the end

The recording of the vocals is not the end of recording. In the Smiths, after Morrissey did the vocals, Johnny added more guitar and keyboard parts, percussion, whatever. After recording is the mixing process when you listen to the song over and over to get levels right and edit parts in or out, etc. The band is most likely in the studio for most of this. When you record an album, you hear it many, many, many times.

And the big reveal is... drum roll please.................whale blubber. Sweet.

What a beatiful an juicy yarn dedicated to M and M !!
To think that these two living myths are repressed....and they do not speak
What an absurd waste!!! Oh God!!😥😥😖😖😥😥❤❤

What a beatiful an juicy yarn dedicated to M and M !!
To think that these two living myths are repressed....and they do not speak
What an absurd waste!!! Oh God!!😥😥😖😖😥😥❤❤
As it happens, last night didn’t seem as bad as I’d anticipated. But there is nothing surer to kill the magic of music than to have its authors dissecting it on a slab.

Long may Morrissey and Marr’s silence last.

Do
As it happens, last night didn’t seem as bad as I’d anticipated. But there is nothing surer to kill the magic of music than to have its authors dissecting it on a slab.

Long may Morrissey and Marr’s silence last.
Do you mean that their silence feeds the myth, or is it the feud that does the trick?

I've always heard it as 'whale blubber Wilde', so I've never understood where this 'weird lover Wilde' bollocks came from. People must have wax in their ears. Nice to hear it confirmed by someone who was there.

Tags
#timstwitterlisteningparty mike joyce the queen is dead

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom