TTY: New Morrissey T-shirt

- OLink from an anonymous person:

New Morrissey T-shirt - true-to-you.net
15 March 2017

39758_baldwin_tshirt.jpg

Available at forthcoming Morrissey shows in North America.
Also available on Mporium.

Media coverage:

Related item:

Last edited:
Aaah, the modern way...call something 'racist' / 'problematic' without actually being able or willing to explain just why the apparel is such. Knee-jerks, etc.

Aaah, the modern way...call something 'racist' / 'problematic' without actually being able or willing to explain just why the apparel is such. Knee-jerks, etc.

On this occasion I agree with you. I'm looking at it, and trying to find the racism. I reported the links, because I just got back in the country and it was literally the first thing I saw. It may or may not be a horrible t-shirt, but to be really honest with you, I can't see the big deal here. What if Martin Luther King was on there? Malcolm X? Snoop Dogg? Help me understand here, because I don't see the overt racism others see. I am an anti-racist, and I have been all my life, but cut the guy a bit of slack here - I just don't see it.

Quite simply, the issue is that it's just not Morrissey's place to wield 'blackness' as a prop through which to (at best) augment/underline his own identity and (at worst) sell merchandise.

Imagining Morrissey attempting to explain why he feels "Black on the inside" within this context is so laughably tone-deaf, it further proves that his racial naivete knows no bounds and that once again must be without a manager.

Help me understand here, because I don't see the overt racism others see. I am an anti-racist, and I have been all my life, but cut the guy a bit of slack here - I just don't see it.

I've got a feeling it may be because this shirt will end up being bought and worn largely by the pasty-looking white folks who make up most of Morrissey's audience, who will then be wandering around with T-shirts saying they feel 'black on the inside'. I don't think it's racist with a big R, but I can see how some people would find that idea offensive.

Well.....

oNcdvN0.jpg

I don't give a shit about this "Factless" website or Claire "The Moron" Slobberfeld trying to snag her autistic 15 minutes. Never heard of the website or her until now. Won't click on it and will never hear of her or the website again after today. Morrissey on the other hand, will LAST forever. There is absolutely nothing wrong with the shirt or Morrissey. †

I agree with joe and don't see any racism. It's not offensive to black people and isn't disparaging to any race. All it does is allude to race in a neutral coincidental way which isn't racist. It maybe alludes to the idea that you can't hide who you are and how you feel, or at least morrissey can't, if it has any serious meaning at all besides his love of Baldwin

Calm down everyone, he is just making a link between himself and his idol James Baldwin. I think this is image of the pin he wheres often.
The USA could all use a bit of James Baldwin right now. Times are bleak, only SNL has the guts to make fun of Trump and call him out. How weird is that.

It just feels moronic on Morrissey's part. Wearing black could signal a certain type of belonging to certain post-punk sensibilities in the eighties. It was done by a mostly white, middle class audience in the US who wanted an alternative to suburban blandness of Top 40 radio in Reagan's America.

Baldwin wrote the violence of racist America which tries to destroy and imprison black people. This is a blackness that you can't take on and off when you go to the alternative club on Friday night. You can't take it off in part because a racial hierarchy that keeps reminding you of your place in the ladder. So, yeah, it's problematic.

When a Latino man like myself puts on a Morrissey shirt there will be articles and documentaries about how ironic and cute it is that a Latino will want to belong to a club previously occupied by white suburbanites. But a white man (like Morrissey) saying he feels black on the inside (like Baldwin?) is supposed to be an acceptable artistic statement? Please.

Good ol' Moz knows how to make headlines - I'm tempted to buy a few of these before it gets pulled and becomes a rare collector's item!

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom