What Moz songs did you hate at first and then came to love?

Best Friend On The Payroll

Southpaw Grammar was such a disappointment after V&I. In retrospect, I’ve come to appreciate it more.

i was hugely disappointed with Southpaw when it came out but I listen to it more than anything else he’s done. The title track is absolutely towering, one of my favourite songs by anyone, ever. Swap Reader Meet Author and Do Your Best for Nobody Loves Us and You Should Have Been Nice to me and it’s in a different league. An early example of the duff track listing that’s hampered him ever since, most notably on World Peace which could have been a 9/10 album

I loved Teachers from the start. It is a great dramatic statement with which to open your album. Okay, 11 minutes is too much, 7--8 would definitely have been enough, but still. I love also Reader Meet Author and like Boy Racer, but then the album just collapses for me. Bookending your album with two 10-minute songs is a ballsy move, but the six songs sandwiched between them hint to me that he didn't ahve enough material at the time. Leaving Nobody Loves You out borders on the insane.

Well I have the legacy version (2009), so I have Nobody Loves Us, so I guess you're referring to the '95 version.
Just checked, yes, I see you're missing:
  • Honey, You Know Where to Find Me
  • Fantastic Bird
  • You Should Have Been Nice to Me
  • Nobody Loves Us

Well I have the legacy version (2009), so I have Nobody Loves Us, so I guess you're referring to the '95 version.
  • Fantastic Bird
  • Nobody Loves Us
I think their point was that leaving out Nobody Loves Us from the original release borders on the insane. And they're right because it's better than 80% of the songs that did make the cut.

(And Fantastic Bird is not from the Southpaw Grammar sessions so it shouldn't be on any version of that album. But we already discussed that in another thread.)

I think their point was that leaving out Nobody Loves Us from the original release borders on the insane. And they're right because it's better than 80% of the songs that did make the cut.

(And Fantastic Bird is not from the Southpaw Grammar sessions so it shouldn't be on any version of that album. But we already discussed that in another thread.)

Yep I get it, but I don't actually have the original '95 version so had to go google & find out for my myself.

Best Friend On The Payroll

Southpaw Grammar was such a disappointment after V&I. In retrospect, I’ve come to appreciate it more.

I am still not very fond of Best Friend.
But I had the same reaction to Southpaw Grammar as you had at the time. Too much of a disappointment after V&I.

Years later on, I would admit that the album has a place in Morrissey's discography. It is a bald album, not perfectly executed and plagued by some weaker tracks, like the above-mentioned.

My pick is Dagenham Dave, its first single that seemed so pointless at first listen.

Southpaw. Initially I thought it was just an overlong mess on an album, that runs out of good enough material after three songs. Nowadays I appreciate it a lot -- but still think the album is just half there. The Operation, Dagenham Dave, Best Friend On The Payroll and Do Your Best are all well below par.
I'll respectfully disagree. It's one of his best albums and the (almost) title track is easily in his top 10 solo songs.

• Fantastic Bird
  • Nobody Loves Us

Yep, I refer to the original 8-track album. I can't take the legacy albums seriously, nice as they are, since they try to rewrite history. Anyway, the track listing in 2009 version makes no sense when the 10-minute tracks are in the middle of the album and not bookending it.

Yep, I refer to the original 8-track album. I can't take the legacy albums seriously, nice as they are, since they try to rewrite history. Anyway, the track listing in 2009 version makes no sense when the 10-minute tracks are in the middle of the album and not bookending it.
Agreed.

Southpaw Grammar, legacy version: Teachers first song. Southpaw last song. Replace Fantastic bird with You must please remember, rearrange the order as you prefer, and you have a great album.

Southpaw Grammar, legacy version: Teachers first song. Southpaw last song. Replace Fantastic bird with You must please remember, rearrange the order as you prefer, and you have a great album.

Just put the thing on shuffle...many albums then out of the same album.

Just put the thing on shuffle...many albums then out of the same album.
Sorry Mozmar I'm not sure I understand what you mean… I just meant that the 2 longest songs are okay at first and last places in the sequence. And You must be please remember should be added instead of fantastic bird. I love Southpaw Grammar and I think this way it is a very good album...

Back
Top Bottom