When Did Your Morrissey/Smiths fandom begin?

Amy

from the Ice Age to the dole age
Hi

I'm curious to know how old you were when you got into Morrissey/The Smiths? I'm sick of hearing from detractors that the Smiths were a teen angst band and nothing else, or that every fan is an intellectually-challenged, middle-aged male homosexual. I''ve been listening to Morrissey since I was 7 (tortured childhood..methinks not :p ). So, what about you guys?

Last edited:
THIS THREAD HAS BEEN DONE OMGZZZZZZ.....just kidding, well...it has been but that's okay..it's a fun thread

mine started right before you are the quarry came out. the first moz cd i heard was vauxhall and i which i randomly downloaded from direct connect. needless to say i fell in love and here i am

Good Thread !

I was 15 when i first heard "The boy with the thorn in his side" back in '85 so i'm guessing im one of the older members of this site. Looking back though I was very defiently the stereotyped lonely depressed teenager Smiths fan I'm afraid though. Ever since that autumn evening my love of Mozs musical output has never wavered.

I first got into them when I was only nine. I attended my first concert when I was nine, along with my mom and pops. My Dad waved gladioli, my momma had her fringe styled into a quiff. Them were the days.

I am one of the middle aged male homos*! Though I didn't really know that in 1983!

First time I heard The Smiths, I knew they were special. Oddly enough, lying in bed, listening to John Peel on a very distorted Medium Wave signal.... it was This Charming Man.

And I became a tad obsessed. Followed Morrissey for his first two albums, life led me a different way, but stillbuy his records, still listen to The Smiths.

John Peel and The Smiths made me what I am today.* ;)

As mark above, The Great John Peel led me down a path and there were The Smiths . 1983 . I am now 47 same as Moz same month god im doomed . Music quite simply changed after that , never missed a tour since , was at the Tube as I live in Newcastle . My wife also heavly into Smiths and Morrissey and we have been happily misserable since 84 :D :D

excactly 18 months ago actually. I was looking for a singer that tells the truth. I was sick of being lied to. And when Morrissey said that being in the Smiths was like revealing his private diary to the public...I fell in love. That was what I needed. No more lies!
Quite a contrast to Bob Dylan who tells people his songs mean nothing and that smoking marijuana makes you write a bunch of nonsense that people just think has a deep hidden abstract message....oh how naive I was! There is no message...it's just a coincidence!

I was brought up on them but they faded away for a long time as my Dad stopped listening to them. Didn't really hear anything from Viva Hate onwards after I was a small child. About three years ago I found a dusty copy of Hatful of Hollow when we moved house and stuck it on my mp3 player.. A few months later Irish Blood, English Heart exploded all over MTV2, VH2, Virgin Radio etc, I watched Jonathan Ross, bought Quarry, and within a month or two had every single album..

I was looking for a singer that tells the truth. I was sick of being lied to. And when Morrissey said that being in the Smiths was like revealing his private diary to the public...I fell in love. That was what I needed. No more lies!

It's true.. sometimes I listen to a band and wonder what they're talking about and why... if they're even talking about anything relevant at all. And more often than not, they're not. And I can't understand the mindset of a lyricist not wanting to be honest or a lyricist that doesn't say anything, and what's even more baffling is why people lap it all up..

I got into him just a couple of months ago, Septemberish. I am a huge fan of The Decemberists and their lead singer, Colin Meloy did a EP of Morrissey covers, so that turned me on and now I am obsessed. I also went through a rough break-up at that time and his honesty and misery gave me something to relate to.

I got into him just a couple of months ago, Septemberish. I am a huge fan of The Decemberists and their lead singer, Colin Meloy did a EP of Morrissey covers, so that turned me on and now I am obsessed. I also went through a rough break-up at that time and his honesty and misery gave me something to relate to.

I wasnt really impressed with that EP
it was just sorta flat to me

It's true.. sometimes I listen to a band and wonder what they're talking about and why... if they're even talking about anything relevant at all. And more often than not, they're not. And I can't understand the mindset of a lyricist not wanting to be honest or a lyricist that doesn't say anything, and what's even more baffling is why people lap it all up..

I think people take all of that because we've been taught to believe in lies. The entire world is based on lies and especially in the North American society, there's very little truth served anywhere. So when people like politicians lie constantly, and people buy it, no wonder they are going to buy lyrics with no soul...
like that whole emo trend. i really don't get it. i don't like having emotional attachment to words and songs written by two blokes in a room who intend to make lots of money and shagg every girl there is because they're "so deep" when in fact they're not and there's nothing to it than a bucnh of cliches and false feelings.
you know what makes me really sad? when i hear kids singing those lyrics. i feel terrible for them. words that mean to them have no innital meaning, no purpose and no direction. it's disgusing.
thank god we like morrissey.
even if people smirk at us and call us lame, depressed, all other cookie cutter definitions...

I agree.. lies are an inherent part of society and a lot of people accept them because they can't do anything about them. The media go insane about politicians lying but they're the worst liars themselves... so we have no one to trust. A lot of people don't like the truth and that's why a lot of people don't like Morrissey. They're interested in escapism but I don't really get it, what makes me happier is knowing the truth not trying to hide from it.

I like to see it when parents bring their kids along to Moz gigs.. in a way Moz is a curse on my life that is impossible to escape but at the same time I wouldn't get rid of it.

I agree.. lies are an inherent part of society and a lot of people accept them because they can't do anything about them. The media go insane about politicians lying but they're the worst liars themselves... so we have no one to trust. A lot of people don't like the truth and that's why a lot of people don't like Morrissey. They're interested in escapism but I don't really get it, what makes me happier is knowing the truth not trying to hide from it.

I like to see it when parents bring their kids along to Moz gigs.. in a way Moz is a curse on my life that is impossible to escape but at the same time I wouldn't get rid of it.

a lot of people don't like him because his lyrics are too emotional for them. People don't like to go too deep into their hearts and minds and so they turn against morrissey's voice and lyrics (unlike his Latino fanbase for example). U.S. of America has more of this insecurity problem which is why he is less famous here than in the UK. How afflicted society is with this disease of the heart and mind varies from time to time. It depends what trends 'they' decide to market and promote. But it's been downhill since the mid to late 90's here in the US. Will there be hope? a glorious day of cultural and personal revolution? a diamond in the ashes? I'm sure...

This "Moment of Wisdom" message brought to you by PUDDLE FOR 'POSTER OF THE YEAR' campaign.
Puddle approves this message. :cool: :cool: :cool:

It was 1984. I can remember so little from that time (I was 16) but I remember quite clearly listening to the radio (after midnight on CBC when they played that sort of thing). Next day I bought "The Smiths" and never looked back (until ROTT when the love affair ended).

Back
Top Bottom