When Did Your Morrissey/Smiths fandom begin?

In 1988 (or maybe early '89), when I was 16 or 17, I was just starting to move away from R.E.M. and into "edgier" music. I checked out "Viva Hate" from the library (which I still can't believe they had; it must've been donated) and ABSOLUTELY HATED IT. Instead, I borrowed "Strangeways" from the school indie kid, and was blown away. I played it in the car to and from a date where I had my first real kiss. My fandom has never been rabid; more along the lines of simply buying each new CD as it was released. Lately, though, I've started to tackle filling in the gaps in my collections, i.e. singles, b-sides, promo versions, etc.

I'd heard The Smiths on John Peel and even seen them on things like Top Of The Pops when I was young, while they were still out. I had very early developed music tastes. I had taped copies of all The Smiths albums given to me when I was 16, but already knew all the words, so I don't know how that happened, must have just seeped into my conciousness. I also used to listen to Dr Fox on Capitol FM (sorry, but I was young and I thought he was good at the time) and he used to use "How Soon is Now" as the bed for the chart show and I loved the guitar on it. That was my Smiths obsession begun. Morrissey adoration followed in the late 1990's, but really developed this year as I finally had the time and money to complete my collection and go see him.

I agree.. lies are an inherent part of society and a lot of people accept them because they can't do anything about them. The media go insane about politicians lying but they're the worst liars themselves... so we have no one to trust. A lot of people don't like the truth and that's why a lot of people don't like Morrissey. They're interested in escapism but I don't really get it, what makes me happier is knowing the truth not trying to hide from it.

I like to see it when parents bring their kids along to Moz gigs.. in a way Moz is a curse on my life that is impossible to escape but at the same time I wouldn't get rid of it.

Couldn't agree more with what you said. Morrissey is also a curse of my life. He showed me tons of possibilities I never evenimagined were there to begin with. There possibilities work for me but others find them pointless, weird, dumb...which isolates me at times..and when people don't get what I'm saying or where I'm coming from, I just can't be around them...I find it to be a voluntary lonelyness, sort of like Morrissey's. He could have so many people around him if he wanted to, he just chooses to be alone.

People are weak, Morrissey's not. People are passive, he's not. Passionate, outspoken people are always supressed and ridiculed by the faceless mass of drones. If there's one thing that annoys me the most it is people who insult and laugh at other people's passions. These are usually people who don't get excited about anything in life, don't have any ideas and don't stand behind any radical views, who are affraid and expect others to make changes for them....and are usually people who dislike Morrissey.

15 and Quarry-era. Took me half a year to realize Morrissey once fronted a band.

15 and Quarry-era. Took me half a year to realize Morrissey once fronted a band.

hmm, i helped create that story 'for another'
ill never forget when she found my Smith's music
and said
'Wow, its like Morrissey, but with better music!'
:D

ps:she was 'legal', unlike thee!
:eek:

hmm, i helped create that story 'for another'
ill never forget when she found my Smith's music
and said
'Wow, its like Morrissey, but with better music!'
:D

ps:she was 'legal', unlike thee!
:eek:

That is the best story EVER told on Morrissey-solo!

Your parents won't love you less ;)

in 1987.....then the buggers split up:mad:

They always say that relationships leave their mark on you, and it's true. I was dating this girl, H, back in 2003, and her ex had got her into the Smiths. At first I said I hated them because of this (how petty), but one day she played There is a Light.... and I was hooked. Bought the entire smiths back catalogue in the space of a week, and Moz's soon after. The Quarry Tour and album was my life.
I'm 21, and a lot of my friends who are 'indie' (grrrr) don't get the obsession at first, but they're all fans now and goin on the 23rd!

Back
Top Bottom