When Did Your Morrissey/Smiths fandom begin?

Such an embarrassing story!!

I first got into the Smiths when I was about 22 (I'm now 27). I was a big fan of the TV series Charmed at the time, and loved the theme tune. I googled the show to find out what the theme tune was - it turned out to be a cover of How Soon is Now by a group called Love Spit Love. Then a little while late, I was watching something on VH1 called 100 Top Male Pop Stars or some such title, and suddenly, I heard How Soon is Now and recognised it. Went upstairs, googled the Smiths, bought Hatful of Hollow and the rest is history!

Morrissey has, quite literally, saved my life. I suffer from depression, and about three years ago, I had it very badly indeed. I was determined to end it all, I knew when, where and how and everything. Then one day, I was listening to the Viva Hate album, and I suddenly heard Moz say "angel, don't take your life tonight..." and it was almost as though he was speaking directly to me. I swear - and I know how melodramatic it sounds, but it's true - if it wasn't for that song, I wouldn't be here today.

Thanks Moz. See you on Saturday. :)

that's not melodramatic at all - the songs do touch you like that and it is very personal. I'll be at the front Saturday showing my love and my thanks, so see you there x

1984 When I was 15 and I am female, not a 'middle aged homosexual'. Why when you pass 30 do people assume your music tastes disappear and you should spend the rest of your life listening to Cliff Richard.
I saw The Smiths in 1985, something you will never do.

1984 When I was 15 and I am female, not a 'middle aged homosexual'. Why when you pass 30 do people assume your music tastes disappear and you should spend the rest of your life listening to Cliff Richard.
I saw The Smiths in 1985, something you will never do.

No, you got it wrong, the stereotype is "middle aged hetrosexual males whose homoerotic side get's unlocked by Morrissey". :D

I envy you, I wish I was older, I would of loved to have seen The Smiths, how was it?

i'm 20, i was a bit into moz as a kid but really got into him when i was 18.

Hi

I'm curious to know how old you were when you got into Morrissey/The Smiths? I'm sick of hearing from detractors that the Smiths were a teen angst band and nothing else, or that every fan is an intellectually-challenged, middle-aged male homosexual. I'm 18 (obviously female) and i've been listening to Morrissey since I was 7 (tortured childhood..methinks not :p ). So, what about you guys?

Am I the only "middle aged male homosexual" that is mildy offended by this?? I'm really not sure where the intellectually challenged part comes in.

I'm 37 and started listening to the Smiths when I was 16. Strangely enough it wasn't until YATQ that became mildly obsessed with him. I think it's partly becuase I've always gone for older guys, and in Moz's middle age I find him even more attractive than I did years ago. And just the sheer tenacity of his his music, his spirit, to keep me hooked and interested in his music for all these years, it's just incredible.

I think I was 15 (so, about two years ago). I was in an FYE store in Ann Arbor when I spotted "You Are the Quarry." I had a little money to spend, so I bought the Deluxe Edition because I liked the cover. I went home, popped in the CD, and immediately began hating "America is Not the World." Skipped to "First of the Gang to Die," at which point I discovered that there was, in fact, a world outside of They Might Be Giants, my favorite band at the time (well, I was 15, what could I know?:p ). Went back to FYE and bought "Louder Than Bombs" and "Strangeways." Loved them both, even "Golden Lights."

Since then, I have become slightly obsessed (Something that the other seniors at my high school cannot possibly comprehend. They spend their time listening to whiny suburbanites screaming about, well, something. Can't understand them. But I digress...). I am anxiously awaiting his next US tour, which hopefully will come in February/March. I'd love to see him a couple of times if he's close enought to where I live, which is the middle of nowhere.

Viva Moz!

Incidentally, I am neither middle-aged, intellectually challenged, nor a homosexual. I'm doing what I can to defeat this nasty stereotype.

Last edited:
The May of 2003, Heard "We Hate It When..." and "Alsatian Cousin" and I really liked them and then I tripped over "Meat Is Murder" and now here I am.

Cheers

I've been listening to a small number of Smiths songs since I was 12. My best friend played HSIN? for me, explained to me who Morrissey was, and what the word celibate meant all in one memorable conversation during the summer of 1984. ;) But, I never really branched out beyond a few Smiths songs and a few songs from Viva Hate until Quarry came out. I loved it instantly and was inspired to actually buy Viva Hate so I could listen to the rest of it, which I also immediately loved. However, although I listened to Quarry, Viva Hate, and the one Smiths CD I had nonstop I still didn't get it yet. I didn't even see Morrissey when he sang at the Ryman in Nashville for the Quarry tour. A couple of friends even asked me to go with them, but I didn't. One of the reasons why was b/c I was worried about how he would be treated in Nashville. As it turns out my worries were unfounded and I regretted not going starting about 2 hours after I knew the show was over.

When I bought Ringleader that's what really did it for me. I think I listened to it all the way through almost every single day this summer. I went to the Chicago show in November after 6 months of thinking I had missed my only chance and I might not ever get to see Morrissey. I spent those 6 months watching videos downloaded here and listening to bootlegs from every 2006 show I could get my hands on. All that intense anticipation, and the climax of finally being there for everything I had seen and heard and imagined, was an amazing experience. I now feel honored and grateful that my first show I got to go to was that one because it felt like everyone there, Morrissey and the band included, was as excited and happy as I was. It was literally the most fun I've ever had, and the happiest night of my life. I will never ever forget it.

So, since it's Christmas Eve and writing this is making me feel all warm and fuzzy and also rather cheesy, thanks to this board for helping me along once I woke up and realized I needed to find every interview, video, bootleg, etc. in existence if at all possible. And although I don't talk much, I read just about everything you guys have to say about all things Moz related and a few trolls aside, I've enjoyed every minute of it. :D

Of course, just in case.... endless thanks to Morrissey for being you. You've made me a happier person and thanks to you I will remember 2006 as one of my best years ever, and even a life-changing one.

When my bessie mate/partner in crime/drinking buddy/Mozzer gig companion/soul sister played me Heaven Knows I'm Miserable Now

Twas round the release of YATQ and that sealed the deal :)

Back
Top Bottom