Why not release a Smiths - B-sides album

everydayslikesunday

Currently listening to Suede - Sci-Fi Lullabies which for does who don't know is a compilation of Suede's b-sides from their first three albums. Some people argue it is Suede's greatest album, Personally I wouldn't go that far, but it is brilliant.

This got me thinking, why don't Rhino records (or whoever) release a Smiths b-sides album? Lets face facts, it would be an awesome collection of songs. It would probably appeal to casual fans as a source of tracks they might know about and obviously would appeal to the collectors, especially if it was released on vinyl. To give it some authenticity, Johnny Marr could re-master the tracks, just don't let Morrissey design the sleeve artwork (what was he thinking of with I Am Not A dog - pure embarrassing dog shite!)

Just a thought.

i will have a word.

I agree that the smiths had amazing b-sides but I would rather a comprehensive cd set that collected all their radio sessions and tv appearances,

Currently listening to Suede - Sci-Fi Lullabies which for does who don't know is a compilation of Suede's b-sides from their first three albums. Some people argue it is Suede's greatest album, Personally I wouldn't go that far, but it is brilliant.

This got me thinking, why don't Rhino records (or whoever) release a Smiths b-sides album? Lets face facts, it would be an awesome collection of songs. It would probably appeal to casual fans as a source of tracks they might know about and obviously would appeal to the collectors, especially if it was released on vinyl. To give it some authenticity, Johnny Marr could re-master the tracks, just don't let Morrissey design the sleeve artwork (what was he thinking of with I Am Not A dog - pure embarrassing dog shite!)

Just a thought.

Going by Low, he doesn't design the artwork, he doesn't even sign it off.

I think he's been having an extended mid-life self-image crisis.

Going by Low, he doesn't design the artwork, he doesn't even sign it off.

I think he's been having an extended mid-life self-image crisis.
These days I think Morrissey takes as much interest in his album covers as Stevie Wonder does with his.

There are a couple of interesting interpretations of dogs artwork floating around though

There are a couple of Spotify playlists of The Smith's B-sides. Here's one, there are others:

It doesn't look complete - there's no 'Accept Yourself' from the This Charming Man 12" for example - but it gives a flavour of what the album might sound like.

There are a couple of interesting interpretations of dogs artwork floating around though

Would you mind sharing some of them?

Here's a Spotify one I made awhile ago.

While Louder Than Bombs doesn't have everything, I think it's as perfect a non-LP compilation as you're going to get from The Smiths. Or any band.

Admittedly, Sci-Fi Lullabies is a close runner up.

capture-20200920-221431.jpg

Last edited:
Yess, the B-sides are some of their best songs. I love Wonderful Woman.

Here's a Spotify one I made awhile ago.

While Louder Than Bombs doesn't have everything, I think it's as perfect a non-LP compilation as you're going to get from The Smiths. Or any band.

Admittedly, Sci-Fi Lullabies is a close runner up.

View attachment 59174

Not keen at all on that 'orrible girl on the 'cover'.

I reckon a remake of "Ask" down at Sunset Sound with the California Son's guitar teacher John Frusciante playing guitar would be top ace fark arse mate. The California Son could add his real lyrics instead of lyrics written for him by a foreigner like Steve Street. I like the photo below for the cover in his backyard in Malibu chipper curry c*** fek'll tit twat inn nnnn nn n nn n it.

Spending warm winter days outdoors
Writing frightening recipes with extra garlic for my Italian restaurant I am opening in West Hollywood with my wife Nancy
ask me ask me ask me ask me ask me

steve cal son.jpg

I reckon a remake of "Ask" down at Sunset Sound with the California Son's guitar teacher John Frusciante playing guitar would be top ace fark arse mate. The California Son could add his real lyrics instead of lyrics written for him by a foreigner like Steve Street. I like the photo below for the cover in his backyard in Malibu chipper curry c*** fek'll tit twat inn nnnn nn n nn n it.

Spending warm winter days outdoors
Writing frightening recipes with extra garlic for my Italian restaurant I am opening in West Hollywood with my wife Nancy
ask me ask me ask me ask me ask me

View attachment 59234
Nancy, Nancy, Nancy....🎵
proxy-image

Back
Top Bottom