Years of Refusal released 11 years ago today

Thewlis

Very Senior Member
I think my least favourite Morrissey album.
I never clicked with songs like Black Cloud, Birthday, Sorry or OK.
The singles were pretty good, but two of them were already a year old when the album was released.

Your thoughts.

Better than Ringleader or anything since in my opinion. I can listen all the way through. It has a few I really like and none that I want to skip.

The singles were pretty good, but two of them were already a year old when the album was released.

Your thoughts.

I’d love to see you x

PS
Tour of Refusal/ Swords was the beginning of the end

I don’t really like the last four songs.
But the four singles, plus Mama and Carol are good enough to make it an enjoyable album still.

The last genuinely great Morrissey album - everything since has been average at best.

I don’t really like the last four songs.
But the four singles, plus Mama and Carol are good enough to make it an enjoyable album still.

last 3 albums have taken the same pattern. Played to death for 6 months, retired. They all get a run out when I go through my vinyl run. I always make sure I play a better album the last 3 to make me feel better:lbf:
By 3, I’m including CS, as I don’t see that as an album.
One song I do like from YOR area, is Poor Education. The rest, I’m not fused if they never got a gig live again.

Talking of which: these 4 gigs I sincerely hope are not new album heavy. Despite not hearing the new stuff, I just have that feeling: :straightface:

Your thoughts.
Totally agree with this. I think we had also been hearing the likes of ‘Paris, ‘Skull’, ‘Mama lay softly’ and one day goodbye will be farewell, live for a while before the album was released as well. So we’d already heard half the album.

I love Years Of Refusal. Huge improvement over Ringleader (my least favourite solo album, not counting California Son).
In my opinion there's not one mediocre song on it, the vocals are fantastic and Something Is Squeezing My Skull might be one of my top ten Morrissey songs.

Your thoughts.
birthday good,sorry was great live.11 years ago,i was a young 44.wheres my time machine.

I didn't like years of refusal when it came out, but Mama Lay Softly on the Riverbed is now one of my favourite songs he has ever written. I also really like All you need is me and It's not your birthday anymore. Only song I skip on a re-listen is That's how people grow up.

Something is squeezing my skull is the best opening to an album since You're gonna need someone on your side. Not to say other first songs on other albums aren't better (they are), but it's just a brilliant choice for an opener!

I don't know why this album is so unappreciated, especially since it's the spiritual sibling to Your Arsenal.
It rocks like a beast and only starts to lose steam (quality) on the penultimate track.
Morrissey's third best solo album behind Arsenal and Vauxhall in my opinion.

I thought the use of Jeff Beck on Black Cloud was a bit odd as you can't really tell he's even on the track - given he usually has a very pronounced style.
Here's Jeff's comments from the California Chronicle regarding said:

"During his career Beck has played with Rod Stewart, Eric Clapton, David Gilmour, Stevie Wonder, Brian May and ZZ Top. In 2009 he guested with Morrissey on the song Black Cloud on his album Year Of Refusal. "I met Morrissey in a hotel in Los Angeles and he put a note under my door saying, 'Would you like to play on my album?' That's how things are with me most of the time. I knew his work with The Smiths and knew he was iconic. I was also aware he was particular about how he liked to do certain things. That suited me because I'm a bit like that myself.

"I thought, what have I got to lose? I'm going to play with the great Morrissey. It was a real friendly gesture."

California Chronicle - 2010.

Regards,
FWD.

I thought the use of Jeff Beck on Black Cloud was a bit odd as you can't really tell he's even on the track - given he usually has a very pronounced style.
Here's Jeff's comments from the California Chronicle regarding said:

"During his career Beck has played with Rod Stewart, Eric Clapton, David Gilmour, Stevie Wonder, Brian May and ZZ Top. In 2009 he guested with Morrissey on the song Black Cloud on his album Year Of Refusal. "I met Morrissey in a hotel in Los Angeles and he put a note under my door saying, 'Would you like to play on my album?' That's how things are with me most of the time. I knew his work with The Smiths and knew he was iconic. I was also aware he was particular about how he liked to do certain things. That suited me because I'm a bit like that myself.

"I thought, what have I got to lose? I'm going to play with the great Morrissey. It was a real friendly gesture."

California Chronicle - 2010.

Regards,
FWD.

If anyone would know this, it's you FWD - do you also recall a quote from Chrissie Hynde about this? With Hynde, Morrissey, and Beck at a bar, something to the affect of Morrissey "being shy" and Hynde telling Beck that "he wants you to play on his album"? I know I remember this from somewhere...

If anyone would know this, it's you FWD - do you also recall a quote from Chrissie Hynde about this? With Hynde, Morrissey, and Beck at a bar, something to the affect of Morrissey "being shy" and Hynde telling Beck that "he wants you to play on his album"? I know I remember this from somewhere...
"The rumour was that he only talked to vegetarians! Well, I've been a vegetarian a f--king sight longer than he has!
Chrissie Hynde was the catalyst between us. I met them at the bar in the Sunset Marquis during cocktail hour: they were shitfaced. Morrissey leaned over to Chrissie and I thought he wanted to leave. Chrissie turned to me and said 'he's too shy to say it but he would like you to play on a track on his album'. The next day I found a cd under my door with a note from Morrissey saying 'It was really nice to meet you - would you play on this track?'. He was charming and I never thought he would give me the time of day."

Mojo, 2009.

Well remembered.
Regards,
FWD.

Your thoughts.
It's grown on me big time. The only song I hate is Sorry Doesn't Help. And I don't even hate it like I used to.

I posted a thread last year to wish it a happy tenth and no one seemed to care then. I should've waited one more year. The only song I don't like is Sorry Doesn't Help.

I wasn't keen at first, but like a lot of Morrissey's work, play it a couple of times & it becomes addictive.

Back
Top Bottom