Your favourite Morrissey moment

I'm feeling in the mood to sentimentalise and reminisce, and to read others doing so. Post your best, first, most special or favourite moment or period in time "with" Morrissey here. And in true GWTT style, I'll do mine at some unspecified point in the next few days. That's the way I roll. :D

During 'How Soon Is Now?' Coachella 2009:

♫And when you say it's gonna happen now
Well, when exactly do mean?
See I've already waited too long
AND LOOK AT THIS FACE!
Most of my life is GONE!♫

Followed by and epic drum solo.

There are quite a few for me, and at the risk of sounding terribly soppy, I'm going to list them. :)

-First hearing The Smiths (specifically HSIN and 'Nowhere Fast') on a BBC2 music doc in October 2008. A wonderful moment. It actually took me a few months to really delve into all of The Smiths' work, but it was a starting point at least.

-A few months after my discovery, I read a very long article about Morrissey's lyrics and persona. I knew little about him at that point, but as soon as I found out more my curiosity was peaked.

-Hearing FOTGTD when I first started exploring Morrissey's solo career. It's not one of my absolute favourites now, but at the time it completely stole my heart and had me hooked from then on. The line that particularly grabbed me was "And he stole from the rich, and the poor, and the not very rich, and the very poor".

-Introducing the music to one of my best friends over a period of about a month, and her actually completely getting the whole thing (if that makes sense). She subsequently has become a huge fan too.

-When I first bought YOR, my first 'proper' Moz album (Best Of-Suedehead had been the actual first). I'd been listening through downloads prior to this, but I was so blown away by Years Of Refusal that I became a complete devotee.

-Getting tickets for my first gig, and the excitement building up to it. Despite what happened on the night, the anticipation was still really amazing.

A rather limited list, due to my short tenure in Moz fandom and my lack of live experience- however, I still have high hopes for the future, and it's been great so far.

:o Ugh, I'm so sentimental on the internet, aren't I? I swear I'm not this sick-making irl. :p

Last edited:
Morrisseys 50th birthday night, absolutley quality

If I were to tell you I'd surely be fired from the tour.

When he looked me in the eye singing "there is no such thing in life as normal." And he really did look like he was thinking, "yup, you're crackers, woman."

Meeting Jesse and Boz and watching Jesse dance to "Hey Mickey".

Finally getting on stage with Morrissey, except it was actually that bloke Paul who does the tribute act.... :lbf:

its hard to pick one but I remember there used to be a music channel called VH2 on sky about 6 years ago and there was a show called "from the smiths to morrissey". it was basically just most of the videos for singles or live performances from his whole career. I hadn't heard anything from the smiths or morrissey before but I watched the whole thing and ever since I have been hooked and probibly always will be. The one that sticks in my mind the most was a video for what difference does it make. never been able to find it again though, he looked so cool.

Haha! Twat!

She'd love that anyway.

Isn't that one of your guys words? I'd google it but I gotta go use the loo and take the piss...or something. :p

Morrisseys 50th birthday night, absolutley quality

Agreed!

23rd May 2009 "Grey-Mare Lane, 1978'' before How Soon is Now?
Maybe because it was in Manchester and it's a place of total sentiment to Morrissey in those early days.

Snatch is another good word, and clunge. And muff.

I like snatch, it's sharp word.

Okay my Morrissey moment. When Mell and I saw him at the Craig Ferguson show we had some sort of luck on our side and landed front row, basically center. So he's standing on the stage waiting to sing or maybe it was between songs, though I think he wasn't in performing mode, he was just standing around waiting and the comedian guy who warms up the audience asked me a question, something farts or something. Oh I know, he was prepping us to laugh at all of Craig's jokes and said that people who don't laugh build up farts, that laughing relieves flatulance or some stupid thing. ANYWAY, so he got me talking about something i can't even remember because we were in the front row and totally accessible and I was embarrassed but whaddya gonna do? morrissey standing right there listening and I'm talking to some bozo about farts. So at one point the comedian hugs me and I think, I can't be sure because I think a lot of things about Morrissey, but it seemed that morrissey made a frowny face.

Made. My. Flippin'. Life.

Of course it could all be in my head, I've never met the man, why would he care that some fart-talker is hugging me but at least i imaged he did which is good enough for me. Like i looked at him for a second to ask if it was okay to hug this guy and I saw frowny face. Or he went in for the hug and I looked over and saw it. Bleh. All in my head.

Last edited:

Specifically... his eyes at the 3 minutes and 16 seconds mark.
The moment at which I knew I'd got him. Like a disease. For life.

Last edited by a moderator:
I like slit. And ditch.

Those are good, too.

Did you read Germaine Greer's article about how slang terms for female genitalia always employ passive, receptive imagery? It seems like something you'd enjoy.

Back
Top Bottom