A Happy St.Georges Day

lucky lisp

somebody has to be me
St Georges Day is somewhat low key in England .It is the one day of the year to celebrate Englishness but the reality is most of us prefer instead to celebrate St Patricks day .It may be because the Irish saints day is more fun given its association with the booze .Or maybe that we simply arent proud to be English .
I think the time has come to celebrate our Englishness and St Georges day should be a national holiday in keeping with other countrys saints day .
A Happy St Georges Day To You All!
:)

it's starting to pick up these days, quite a few things are happening in London. It's just a shame I'm stuck at work. :(

[youtube]S5YeIz-gR3o&feature=related[/youtube]

what is that shit?​

i don't know, but the kid appears to have just lost his virginity to that turkey.

let's face it, though, he was never gonna get a winnie cooper.

wonder_paul.jpg

i bought that d.v.d. recently, but haven't watched it yet. any good, sir?

Would peta approve?

well, i can't honestly see why they'd object, sir. it's about time that fowl were finally emancipated from the chains of sexual repression they've endured at the hands of men who live to enslave them (although, i've heard that some birds get off on that).

it's hard to believe in the 21st century, but some turkeys have never even had an orgasm.

yes, it is. The best film of last year in my opinion.

then i will look forward to it even more. thank you.

Yes happy st George's day.

I find it amazing how quickly a happy St George's Day post turns into sex with fowl.....is a reflection on society or just the minds inhabitating Solo?;)

Thanks!

Today in Catalonia it's a very important and traditional date. "Sant Jordi" is also the patron saint of Catalonia. There are a lot of cultural and festive activities all over the country during all day.

St. George's Day in Catalonia

La Diada de Sant Jordi, also known as el dia de la rosa (The Day of the Rose) or el dia del llibre (The Day of the Book) is a Catalan holiday celebrated on April 23 similar to Valentine's Day with some unique twists that show the ancient practice of this day. The main event is the exchange of gifts between sweethearts, loved ones and respected ones. Historically, men gave their girlfriends and wives roses, and women gave their boyfriends and husbands a book to celebrate the occasion. In modern times, the mutual exchange of books is customary. Roses have been associated with this day since medieval times, but the giving of books is a more recent tradition. In 1923, a bookseller started to promote the holiday as a way to honour the nearly simultaneous deaths of Miguel Cervantes and William Shakespeare on April 23, 1616. Barcelona is the publishing capital in both Catalan and Spanish and this heady one-two punch of love and literacy was quickly adopted.

On Barcelona's most visited street, La Rambla, and all over Catalonia, thousands of stands of roses and makeshift bookstalls are hastily set up for the occasion. By the end of the day, some four million roses and 400,000 books would have been purchased in the name of love. You will be hard-pressed to find a woman without a rose in hand, and half of the total yearly book sales in Catalonia take place on this occasion.

The sardana, the national dance of Catalonia, will be performed throughout the day in the Plaça Sant Jaume. And many book stores and cafes host readings by noted authors (look out for 24-hour marathon readings of Cervantes' "Don Quixote"). And there will be a variety of street performers and musicians on hand to add a romantic ambience to nearly every public square and plaza.

Additionally, April 23rd is the only day of the year when the Palau de la Generalitat, Barcelona's principal government building, is open to the public. Inside this Gothic architectural masterpiece you'll see huge displays of roses created to honour Saint George.

Catalonia has exported this tradition of the book and the rose to the rest of the world. In 1995, the UNESCO adopted April 23rd as World Book.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/St_George's_Day

Happy St.George's day to all of you who celebrated it as well ;)

Last edited:
and to you Mrs.

yes it is terrible, isn't it! btw how is your sex life?

I'm not entirely sure....as i think the OH has taken to drugging me so my memory on that subject is a bit glazed.:rolleyes:

Bloody hell, I've just called my father when reading this thread (cause his name is George) and he reminded me that St George's day in Hungary was on the 24th. :o

They must be serious musicians; two of them have beards!

Big day!

dragonsmoreausaintgeorgnw4.jpg

Gustav Moreau
grgestic2lgv6.jpg

15th cen, unknown artist

And as it's not just St. George's Day (the saint for whom my father was named), but also the day that Shakespeare's birthday is observed, I'll be having a bit of a beach party later! I do hope it storms.

mirandatm3.jpg

Full fathom five thy father lies;
Of his bones are coral made;
Those are pearls that were his eyes:
Nothing of him that doth fade
But doth suffer a sea-change
Into something rich and strange.
Sea-nymphs hourly ring his knell:
Ding-dong.
Hark! now I hear them, ding-dong, bell.

--The Tempest, 1. 2​

I made a painting of St. George too when i was 14; he was smoking hot and blond, and I think it stayed in school after the exhibition :( Or someone bought it, I can't remember. I wish I had kept it.

I made a painting of St. George too when i was 14; he was smoking hot and blond, and I think it stayed in school after the exhibition :( Or someone bought it, I can't remember. I wish I had kept it.

I'm tempted to ask you if it was a nude, but you were only 14. :eek: Do you still paint?

I'm tempted to ask you if it was a nude, but you were only 14. :eek: Do you still paint?

He was wearing his armour, and stuff :p No, I'm not creative any more...

(I did draw a nude when I was 17 though. It was a man trapped inside a transparent cube. My mama put it on her wall, she liked it :eek:)

If it wasn't for hearing an article about it on Newsround ( :cool: ) this morning, I wouldn't have known about it. I saw no flags or anything else to suggest St Georges Day was being celebrated. It just doesn't seem a big deal to most people. Its not to me either...but thats probably because I haven't been brought up celebrating it year after year. A nationwide big patriotic day would probably be a good idea..but I don't think us English are very good at all that kinda thing. Theres definitely a lot of people who feel awkward about boasting about their Englishness. Much easier to celebrate the teeny little drop of Irish Blood that everyone seems to acquire on St Patricks Day.

That happened to me too (though I didnt do a painting of St George). There was a lot of my art work that I did at school, which I was proud of, that went missing. :rolleyes:

They must be serious musicians; two of them have beards!

Big day!

dragonsmoreausaintgeorgnw4.jpg

Gustav Moreau
grgestic2lgv6.jpg

15th cen, unknown artist

And as it's not just St. George's Day (the saint for whom my father was named), but also the day that Shakespeare's birthday is observed, I'll be having a bit of a beach party later! I do hope it storms.

mirandatm3.jpg

Full fathom five thy father lies;
Of his bones are coral made;
Those are pearls that were his eyes:
Nothing of him that doth fade
But doth suffer a sea-change
Into something rich and strange.
Sea-nymphs hourly ring his knell:
Ding-dong.
Hark! now I hear them, ding-dong, bell.

--The Tempest, 1. 2​

So many amazing paintings portray St. George slaying the dragon. I love the image. So I guess I love the day too. A good number of said paintings can be found at the National Gallery in London :)

Back
Top Bottom