Adam Ant troubled by bipolar disorder - sectioned under the Mental Health Act

The Seeker of Good Songs

The former Adam & The Ants singer, who suffers from bipolar disorder, has been hospitalised and is currently receiving treatment in the Chelsea & Westminster Hospital. The news comes a week after the singer told a church congregation to 'f*** off' during charity gig argumenting the sudden outburst this way: "The show was shit. I wasn't told it was in a church hall." In a statement to his fans Ant says: "Ant fans - please send me postcards at the Chelsea & Westminster hospital, Fulham Road. Please don't come down here as it may upset the staff who have been really pleasant. I am having a well earned rest at Her Majesty's Pleasure and am painting and continuing being an art student. I have a great view and am considering gigs later in the year."

It's not the first time Ant, real name Stuart Leslie Goddard, gets sectioned. In 2003 he was also detained in hospital under the The Mental Health Act. This Act of the Parliament of the United Kingdom applies to people in England and Wales. It covers the reception, care and treatment of mentally disordered persons, the management of their property and other related matters. In particular, it provides the legislation by which people diagnosed with a mental disorder can be detained in hospital and have their disorder assessed or treated against their wishes, unofficially known as "sectioning". Its use is reviewed and regulated by the Care Quality Commission.

Adam Ant has suffered with major depression and bipolar disorder much of his life. He was diagnosed in the 1970s, and the diagnosis was made public after a run-in with the law in 2002. In 2003, "The Madness of Prince Charming" was aired on British television, documenting Ant's career and illness. Below is a fragment of that documentary.

[youtube]WSjwcoxqPK4&[/youtube]
The Madness of Prince Charming (Part 1 of 8)

from: http://www.side-line.com/news_comments.php?id=44649_0_2_0_C

I really feel for anyone with this condition depression is terrible. It's a real shame for the guy, not something you can rub a cream on.

ahhh darn it, he really seemed to be holding it together this year and there was hope for the future. this makes me very sad :mad:

He is getting better this year, he's done some ace appearences...but c'mon Adam Ant with a 100 year old Angie Bowie??? YUCK!

I'ma send him a postcard. :thumb:

from Simon Goddard
http://simongoddardwords.blogspot.com/2010/05/calling-all-antpeople.html

Calling All Antpeople

When I was 10 years-old there was only one pop star on the planet I cared about and his name was Adam Ant. (His real name was Stuart Goddard: we’re not related.)

I still retain tremendous affection for the man and his pop artistry. His lyrics are up there with the very best in British pop. There are those that laugh when I say that he was, to my generation of kids, our Marc Bolan. But then, as any Antperson knows, ridicule is nothing to be scared of, only idiots ignore the truth and you don’t need anything after an ice cream.

So I was very sad to hear that he’s back in hospital. He’s asked fans to send him a postcard if they wish. So I did. You can do the same by sending a card to the address below... (*I’ve only censored my message of good will because that’s for his eyes only).

Double drumkit Ant vibes to all! x

My ex is bipolar and i was very sympathetic till he started mixing his medication with a couple of bottles of vodka daily.:crazy:

Lovely piece from Mr G.

My favourite clip is this one...

P.

Last edited by a moderator:
My ex is bipolar and i was very sympathetic till he started mixing his medication with a couple of bottles of vodka daily.:crazy:
As one who has never had or known anyone with such troubles, and after watching the docu about him, I can sympathize, but still don't understand.
Why can't they just reason it out and say, "this is this and that is that, doing x, y, or z isn't going to change those things so, don't worry about it."
I'm not saying it isn't a problem, but hard to understand until one faces it personally. Is it based on a chemical imbalance of some sort?

As one who has never had or known anyone with such troubles, and after watching the docu about him, I can sympathize, but still don't understand.
Why can't they just reason it out and say, "this is this and that is that, doing x, y, or z isn't going to change those things so, don't worry about it."
I'm not saying it isn't a problem, but hard to understand until one faces it personally. Is it based on a chemical imbalance of some sort?

No its a mental illness,my sister has it.It used to be known as manic depression.Extreme highs and lows.
She was sectioned in the end
I think its quite a common illness,just some people have it in more extreme forms than others

Last edited:
Very sad. It's been a while since I read Adam's bio, but if I remember correctly, mental illness ran in his family. He had episodes in the 70s, attempted suicide and was sectioned at that time. I can't imagine how devistating this illness is for Adam, his family and his friends to deal with. I wish him peace and hope he has a steady recovery.

I like Adam Ant's music, but this guy really needs help gettin' his life back together. I feel sorry for the poor dude, but bi-polar depression can't be an excuse to say somethin' that is biased against Christians.:tears::tears::mad:

I like Adam Ant's music, but this guy really needs help gettin' his life back together. I feel sorry for the poor dude, but bi-polar depression can't be an excuse to say somethin' that is biased against Christians.:tears::tears::mad:

Yes it can.People suffering from it do some crazy things.

Thats why some get sectioned

Last edited:

It's not a case of just getting help and getting his life back together. He will probably never get his life back together. Many people suffering from bi-polar depression or other severe mental illnesses merely live from treatment to treatment in an attempt to function, not be manic, or out of control. Adam certainly wasn't rational when he made those comments. You can't take them as hateful remarks of a balanced individual. Making a link to his mental state and the outburst isn't making excuses. It's just putting things in perspective. The man is very ill.

I know a bloke who spends half his life thinking he's a character in the Bill... god knows what he's going to do now ITV have axed it.
The rest of the time he manages Hull City :)

He lives very happily in the community, receives a bit of support from a couple of local charities but hasn't (as far as I'm aware) been sectioned, or needed to be either.

Don't know why I'm telling you this. Other than to say that having poor mental health, even bi-polar, doesn't mean that someone automatically is dangerous and needs locking up.

I hope that Prince Charming gets some rest and gets well soon. :flowers:

Dave

from Simon Goddard
http://simongoddardwords.blogspot.com/2010/05/calling-all-antpeople.html

Calling All Antpeople

When I was 10 years-old there was only one pop star on the planet I cared about and his name was Adam Ant. (His real name was Stuart Goddard: we’re not related.)

I still retain tremendous affection for the man and his pop artistry. His lyrics are up there with the very best in British pop. There are those that laugh when I say that he was, to my generation of kids, our Marc Bolan. But then, as any Antperson knows, ridicule is nothing to be scared of, only idiots ignore the truth and you don’t need anything after an ice cream.

So I was very sad to hear that he’s back in hospital. He’s asked fans to send him a postcard if they wish. So I did. You can do the same by sending a card to the address below... (*I’ve only censored my message of good will because that’s for his eyes only).

Double drumkit Ant vibes to all! x

That's very sweet, and very appreciated, I'm sure. There's nothing worse than being ill and feeling alone. And scared. And vulnerable. Mental illness still has such a stigma, the embarrassment and shame adds to the pain. I pray for his healing. He's a wonderful artist!

Ive sent him a couple of postcards, i hope they at least amuse him. :blushing:

Thank you for posting this information.
I was dancing to Adam & the Ants in my bedroom at a young age. I think his music was the first I purchased with my own money.

I will definately be sending a postcard! Thank you

Back
Top Bottom