Alain Whyte - what happened?

Amy

from the Ice Age to the dole age
I've wondered about this quite a lot in the past couple of years and I've never really found a genuine explanation, so I'll throw it out there again - does anyone know what happened with Alain? Did he leave or was he pushed? What were the circumstances? I got into Moz seriously around 2004/5 but didn't really follow the situation with his band, and there seems to have been an ever-increasing web of rumours springing up about Alain's departure since then. Was an official reason ever given?

In all likelyhood, somebody here will probably know. Let me just be the first to say that despite my love for good old Jesse, I'd really like to see Alain come back.

I've wondered about this quite a lot in the past couple of years and I've never really found a genuine explanation, so I'll throw it out there again - does anyone know what happened with Alain? Did he leave or was he pushed? What were the circumstances? I got into Moz seriously around 2004/5 but didn't really follow the situation with his band, and there seems to have been an ever-increasing web of rumours springing up about Alain's departure since then. Was an official reason ever given?

Alain was unwell. Boz mentioned this on his website but we were never told the nature of his affliction for example whether it was a physical or mental illness. We also know that Alain contributed to the songwriting on both Ringleader of the Tomatoes and Years of Refusal so there was obviously no (serious) bad blood between him and SP Morrissey, and they have both spoken positively of each other in interviews since he left the band. It must be v awkward for Morrissey to switch his musicians around when he finds a set-up that works which presumably he now feels is the case with Jesse and Martin.

I don't think I've ever heard an "offical reason" given about Alain's departure but the last concert he played with Morrissey in Dublin castle he said he was ill.So maybe he took a break for health reasons.Little Barrie filled in for a while before Jesse.
You can read some reviews of the gig here http://www.morrissey-solo.com/article.pl?sid=04/06/04/1515214 and there's a bit about Alain being ill too and very tearful and moved when taking his bow at the end of Shoplifters.
The concert itself was a cracker by the way.

I was told that he "couldn't wait" to do his own thing.

Ok, He left Morrissey's band, but he still writes songs to Morrissey and they are still friend and things aren't as bad as they seem to be.

I think the reasons are personal to Alain and I've never felt the need to pry too much.

From what I've learned he was ill.Mental not physical,and quite correctly in my opinion wanted a complete break from touring.

I think there was also the combination of him having a fair ammount of material rejected by Morrissey which he was then keen to release with his own band,and Morrissey being open to working with other musicians.

He's married now as well and let's face it that changes EVERYTHING :)

didnt it have to do with a hurt back of lains and on show he was cleary in big pain obvious to the fans?

Last edited:
Alain was unwell. Boz mentioned this on his website but we were never told the nature of his affliction for example whether it was a physical or mental illness. We also know that Alain contributed to the songwriting on both Ringleader of the Tomatoes and Years of Refusal so there was obviously no (serious) bad blood between him and SP Morrissey, and they have both spoken positively of each other in interviews since he left the band. It must be v awkward for Morrissey to switch his musicians around when he finds a set-up that works which presumably he now feels is the case with Jesse and Martin.

Sorry Maurice - "Ringleader of the Tomatoes" just cracks me up. :)

Tags
lovers' tiff
Back
Top Bottom