Alain Whyte YT: "Mute Witness" acoustic (May 15, 2020)

20200515_075301.jpg

Regards,
FWD.

"William, It Was Really Nothing" was 2.09.

Which really doesn't make Found, Found, Found look any better...

William is a whole different kettle of fish to Found.
Instant love for the former.

A beautiful song. Though, in 1992 when I bought Kill Uncle, I was always confused as to why the witness wanted to wait for so long before reaching for pen and paper.
she might be illiterate in English...she only speaks sign language. WHAT I DONT KNOW and it has plagued me for decades now is why the hell she pointed to a frisbee...which frisbee? was there a fressbe on someone's desk at the police station? Am I missing something? Please help.

she might be illiterate in English...she only speaks sign language. WHAT I DONT KNOW and it has plagued me for decades now is why the hell she pointed to a frisbee...which frisbee? was there a fressbe on someone's desk at the police station? Am I missing something? Please help.
The song makes no sense at all, unless you assume she is illiterate, and really crap at drawing.

In defence of King Leer, I loved the line
“I tried to surprise you with vodka or Tizer”.
It’s brilliant. And I think it’s the only reference to Tizer in the history of popular music.

Last edited by a moderator:

You are missing a key detail in the mystery - the frisbee! Damn - it is as if you fell prey to the same calamity of those who interviewed the mute witness in the song.

Allow me -- Colonel Mustard in the library with the frisbee! Solved!

You are missing a key detail in the mystery - the frisbee! Damn - it is as if you fell prey to the same calamity of those who interviewed the mute witness in the song.

Allow me -- Colonel Mustard in the library with the frisbee! Solved!
Interesting reply, yes, I'm just as puzzled as the investigators...but is the reference real? Is there a frisbee in one of Mustard's stories?

The song makes no sense at all, unless you assume she is illiterate, and really crap at drawing.

It’s brilliant. And I think it’s the only reference to Tizer in the history of popular music.
as a Brazilian it took me some time to get to know what Tizer was.

It's such an odd, and specific scenario, that I can't help wondering if it was something else he lifted from an old film. (Possibly not the frisbee part, though).

It's such an odd, and specific scenario, that I can't help wondering if it was something else he lifted from an old film. (Possibly not the frisbee part, though).
There was definitely a film called Mute Witness that came after the song, and was probably inspired by the song. I’m going to have to watch it now—just to see if a frisbee features in it.

I’ve never seen this before, and yes it arguably shows how important Kill Uncle was—in steering him towards that, as yet, unmatched creative streak (1992-1997). Even the quiff, here, was a high point!

Each to their own, but I'm not sure that the years 95-97 could be included in a creative streak. They nearly killed Morrissey's career stone dead at the age of 38!

I thought Mute Witness was about a tiny child who didn't have the words to describe what terrible thing she saw on Clapham Common at 4am.

It does have a 1950s thriller ring to it.

I thought Mute Witness was about a tiny child who didn't have the words to describe what terrible thing she saw on Clapham Common at 4am.

It does...I have always felt profoundly empathetic towards the mute witness in the song...there she wwas in the spotlight , and yet, unable to help.

There was definitely a film called Mute Witness that came after the song, and was probably inspired by the song. I’m going to have to watch it now—just to see if a frisbee features in it.
This is cited as an inspiration for the song:

Tizer is still going strong in shops around this way :)
Regards,
FWD.

This is cited as an inspiration for the song:

Tizer is still going strong in shops around this way :)
Regards,
FWD.

Thank you; I’ve just looked on Amazon and it’s available on DVD. As are cans of Tizer. Unbelievable. I might have to order both.

Last edited by a moderator:

That would explain the ‘small arms’.

They stopped making it several years ago, but as a kid in Manchester it was the go to alternative to Coke—along with fizzy Vimto.
They're still making it. Unless they stopped and then brought it back. My great-grandma used to call it 'Trimer', which is still chortled about in the family.

I imagine the frisbee was a piece of evidence she was pointing at in the court room. I don't know why anyone would be playing frisbee at 4am in the morning. You have to be careful when you try to nail down something so specific and yet so abstract because there is always the possibility that it was simply a vivid dream Morrissey had about a frisbee! It may even have been an oblique attempt at humour, but I've yet to fathom what the joke is.
Frisbee is also quite a ridiculous word. He might have just thrown it in there (no pun intended) because he like the sound of it, and the incongruity - which is after all the kind of thing he does.

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom