American accents: what's yours?

Me too:

What American accent do you have?
Your Result: The Inland North

You may think you speak "Standard English straight out of the dictionary" but when you step away from the Great Lakes you get asked annoying questions like "Are you from Wisconsin?" or "Are you from Chicago?" Chances are you call carbonated drinks "pop."

Yup, that's right. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Inland_Northern_American_English

I'm in the Cleveland area.

Last edited:
I'm from the south jersey/philly area. I really don't think I have an accent though. alot of people around here pronounce water as "wooder", but I never did. thats a sure sign that you're from philly though.

I'm from the south jersey/philly area. I really don't think I have an accent though. alot of people around here pronounce water as "wooder", but I never did. thats a sure sign that you're from philly though.

Everyone has an accent.

I got 55% general, 35% Yankee, which is about right. I was raised by a Midwesterner who made a serious effort to speak General American so as not to say "worshcloth," and a native Bostonian who said "tonic" instead of pop or soda, had a house with a "cellar" and who drank from a "wottah bubblah" which is so extremely regional it wasn't even a choice on that quiz!

Growing up in the 'burbs, living just with my mom, I had a newscaster-ish non-accent. In high school and college I started to absorb the accent of my core group of friends, which was a sub-sub-set of the typically perceived "Boston" accent (Matt Damon--but not Ben Affleck--in Good Will Hunting; everyone in The Departed), which was not Boston, but Cambridge, and not the upper-crusty, Harvard part of Cambridge, but working-class East Cambridge. ("Whatta you, crackin'?" for "Are you pulling my leg [ie, cracking a joke]?" "I gotta bust," for "I'm leaving." "Dude, man!" where "dude" is a general exclamation like "Oh!" and "man" is the person being addresed.)

Now I live in a suburb of Boston (I can see Boston from the top of my hill--about 4 miles away), with mostly middle class (half blue-collar and half white-collar) people from "somewhere else". . .and my accent has actually gotten what my mother would consider "worse" but what I consider "more pronounced," particularly when I am speaking very casually, in conversation with locals who have a strong regional accent, or when I am irritated ("Oh, fuhcrySAKE!").

I tend to absorb the accent of whoever I am talking to, or speak with unaccented American English in all but the most casual situations. I enjoy my regionalisms, but I know they can sound. . .whatever. . .to some ears, so I tend not to use them in formal settings. I specifically avoided one of the four 1st grade teachers at my son's school, because of her absolutely ludicrous local accent. . .Like my mom did with me, I'm trying to teach my kids to speak without a regional accent.

This and the UK accents thread are very interesting!

ETA: LOL. . .the other quiz definitively says, "Boston." You definitely have a Boston accent, even if you think you don't. Of course, that doesn't mean you are from the Boston area, you may also be from New Hampshire or Maine.

--jeniphir

Last edited:
***Your Linguistic Profile:***

50% General American English

35% Dixie

15% Yankee

0% Midwestern

0% Upper Midwestern

-------------

Well, I do live in the (American) South! :)

45% General American English

35% Yankee

10% Dixie

5% Upper Midwestern

0% Midwestern

Interesting because that's not accurate. Dixie? Upper Midwester? Are you kidding me?
I come from New Jersey. That's a whole different accent.

I never knew Philly/South Jersey had an accent until I lived near Rowan University for awhile and came back home to Ocean County.
It's hard to explain, but Philly/South Jersey has a different way of using the "own" sound.

Example..the words own, phone, home, ect sound almost like valley girl.

I didn't know how much I stuck out like a sore thumb there until someone asked me why I kept putting W's in my words.
Mall-Mawl Coffee-Cawfee
I'm trying not to anymore, but it's hard because that's what I live around.

I am a linguistic chameleon. I've lived in too many places, with people from too many other places. Some days I sound like I'm from Oak Lawn or Bridgeport, Illinois (Chicago); some days I sound like I'm Canadian. I try to keep my speech free of accents unless I need to blend.

When I did the regional accent quiz, it first said I'm from Philadelphia. I've never even been there.

But I'm a midwesterner by blood, unless you go back too far... then God only knows what kind of accent would come out of me.

A friend from PA used to laugh at me for saying "palor".
He insists it's a "living room" or "tv room".

Does anyone else use "palor" or is my family weird?

Inland North.... Yep, I'm a Hoosier! The Mighty Midwest, I ain't afraid of no coast!

My Bostonian relatives (older ones, anyhow) said "Pahluh," as did my urban friends. I think that's a working-class Irish-American thing??? Around here, anyhow.

--jeniphir

Your family is weird :) Actually, though, isn't that a New England thing? I'm pretty sure that I've heard my North Boston coworker call it that.

My grandmother called a couch a "davenport," and I've never heard anyone else do the same. I remember once, at age 8 or so, she told me to take off my shirt & "trousers" for a bath, and I had no idea what "trousers" were. She thought that I was retarded. If she only knew...

I had no idea what "trousers" were. She thought that I was retarded. If she only knew...

HAHAHAHA! The Trousers vs Pants debate is hilarious, so many times I have completely made an idiot of myself confusing cross-over words. American words I did not know the correct meaning of until the age of 12 include...

faucet
pants
sneakers
buggy
Dixie
sidewalk
douche

:o

HAHAHAHA! The Trousers vs Pants debate is hilarious, so many times I have completely made an idiot of myself confusing cross-over words. American words I did not know the correct meaning of until the age of 12 include...

faucet
pants
sneakers
buggy
Dixie
sidewalk
douche

OK, I know the UK equivalents of all but the last two, and of those, I only care tolearn one.

Back
Top Bottom