are we talking about donuts.

Your Linguistic Profile:

60% General American English

15% Yankee

10% Upper Midwestern

5% Dixie

5% Midwestern

Your Result: The Inland North

You may think you speak "Standard English straight out of the dictionary" but when you step away from the Great Lakes you get asked annoying questions like "Are you from Wisconsin?" or "Are you from Chicago?" Chances are you call carbonated drinks "pop."

I always get asked if I'm from NYC. I don't think I sound east coast like but everyone else seems to think so. Have no idea where my accent comes from, but it's not Ohio.

70% General American English

15% Upper Midwestern

5% Dixie

5% Yankee

0% Midwestern

What American accent do you have?
Your Result: The West

Last edited:
55% General American English

25% Yankee

15% Dixie

0% Midwestern

0% Upper Midwestern

I have no accent, haha sadly. I wish I had a liittle bit of one at least, but I do not. ;]

Your Linguistic Profile:

40% General American English

25% Yankee

20% Dixie

5% Midwestern

5% Upper Midwestern

hahaha, I know I'm English but I thought it would be amusing....

A contraption that you push round a supermarket is neither a buggy or a cart or a carriage, it's a trolley :D

So, a Yorkshirewoman has to wonder...

Not all the questions were really Briton-friendly, e.g. not allowing for "shopping trolley" or "trainers" ( and what on earth is a "cruller?"), but here's what I might be in terms of a US accent:

40% General American English

30% Yankee

15% Dixie

5% Midwestern

5% Upper Midwestern

You comin' down t'chippeh, y'all? :D

Were there any questions you were totally lost on, Kate?

I had no idea what "cruller" was, none of the terms for 'an easy class' were anything I would use, and I've never said "tennis shoes" in my life but I took it to be more of a British equivalent than (shudder) "sneakers".

I remember reading Roald Dahl books when I was younger and seeing references to 'sneakers' and 'pants' and I thought they meant, respectively, jogging trousers and underwear :p

Were there any questions you were totally lost on, Kate?

I had no idea what "cruller" was, none of the terms for 'an easy class' were anything I would use, and I've never said "tennis shoes" in my life but I took it to be more of a British equivalent than (shudder) "sneakers".

I remember reading Roald Dahl books when I was younger and seeing references to 'sneakers' and 'pants' and I thought they meant, respectively, jogging trousers and underwear :p

Not totally lost, but the very idea of covering a house in loo roll was somewhat alien to me. Yes, I went for "tennis shoes" as a lesser of evils, too.

The pants thing causes some amusement, especially when US/Canadian writers ask me to "Brit-pick" the p.o.vs of British characters. I made a community for such purposes.

Last edited:
Not totally lost, but the very idea of covering a house in loo roll was somewhat alien to me. Yes, I went for "tennis shoes" as a lesser of evils, too.

It's a blast; you should try it sometime. Someone did this to us when I was 16 or so, and we never found out who did it. Here's a small example pic:
tp_tree_003-776158.jpg

You just have to remember to clean it all up before the next rain.

Forking is another fun one--sticking hundreds of plastic forks in someone's lawn.

Your Linguistic Profile:

general.jpg

25% Yankee

10% Dixie

0% Midwestern

0% Upper Midwestern

What Kind of American English Do You Speak?

http://www.blogthings.com/whatkindofamericanenglishdoyouspeakquiz/

Couple that should be but are not mentioned -
I hang my clothers on a hang-guh
I drink war-dah
And if you are requested to come close I say git-ovah-heer
But be sure to close da daw on the way.

Your Linguistic Profile:

general.jpg

25% Yankee

10% Dixie

0% Midwestern

0% Upper Midwestern

What Kind of American English Do You Speak?

http://www.blogthings.com/whatkindofamericanenglishdoyouspeakquiz/

Couple that should be but are not mentioned -
I hang my clothers on a hang-guh
I drink war-dah
And if you are requested to come close I say git-ovah-heer
But be sure to close da daw on the way.

That sounds like you're from New England, not NYC. I wish they'd had a question for "water" and "wash," too; "warsh," especially, seems to be common in pockets of the Midwest.

Another one that I get teased for at work here on the East Coast is the Midwestern habit of appending useless prepositions to questions: "Where are you at?" "Where are you going to?" I never even noticed that I did it.

That sounds like you're from New England, not NYC. I wish they'd had a question for "water" and "wash," too; "warsh," especially, seems to be common in pockets of the Midwest.

Another one that I get teased for at work here on the East Coast is the Midwestern habit of appending useless prepositions to questions: "Where are you at?" "Where are you going to?" I never even noticed that I did it.

My phonetic spelling may be off because the Bah-stin people say it with a "ah". It is common for here for a deeper sounding "or" "aw" sound.

***Your Linguistic Profile:***

50% General American English

30% Dixie

10% Yankee

5% Upper Midwestern

0% Midwestern

"You have a Midland accent" is just another way of saying "you don't have an accent." You probably are from the Midland (Pennsylvania, southern Ohio, southern Indiana, southern Illinois, and Missouri) but then for all we know you could be from Florida or Charleston or one of those big southern cities like Atlanta or Dallas. You have a good voice for TV and radio.

Oregon is Midland now.

55% General American English
15% Dixie
15% Yankee
10% Upper Midwestern
0% Midwestern

My parents are from Texas and NC but we moved around a lot, I pick up from where ever I happen to be. The other test says I have no accent. I'm half-mexican but learned spanish while living in Spain so I speak it with a Castillian accent. I'm linguistically confused.

Your Result: The Inland North

You may think you speak "Standard English straight out of the dictionary" but when you step away from the Great Lakes you get asked annoying questions like "Are you from Wisconsin?" or "Are you from Chicago?" Chances are you call carbonated drinks "pop."

Sounds about right.

Back
Top Bottom