American God Squad in Moston, Manchester

Jukebox Jury

Retired
Tonight, I went to my local off licence on Lightbowne Road, in Moston, and was greeted by these two blokes walking past outside. I thought one of them was asking me something like the time or for directions....
As I went through the door, I stopped (it was bloody freezing) and looked at him, wearing ID around his neck. He began to talk with an American accent about god.
I interupted him and said ''look, I'm a born again atheist so you are wasting your time with me.''

He began to laugh and asked ''born again atheist....how does that work?''
''Quiet easy'' I replied and stepped into the shop:lbf:
When I came out of the shop, the twats had gone!

Jukebox Jury

Last edited:
Tonight, I went to my local off licence on Lightbowne Road, in Moston, and was greeted by these two blokes walking past outside. I thought one of them was asking me something like the time or for directions....
As I went through the door, I stopped (it was bloody freezing) and looked at him, wearing ID around his neck. He began to talk with an American accent about god.
I interupted him and said ''look, I'm a born again atheist so you are wasting your time with me.''

Jukebox Jury

We're even now. This makes up for the English imbecile in a Born Again Atheist hat that told me how intelligent he was. :thumb: :D

Jukebox Jury

It's only fair, since your country brought religion to the states in the first place...

Jukebox Jury

Did they have rucksacks on too? Spot them mormons a mile off.....always American too...why is that? :confused:

They must be following me around - the other week I was coming back from Hebden Bridge on a bus (Sunday afternoon) and two of them got on near Littleborough, one sat next to me and the other next to an older bloke and started asking me what I thought of god etc. He soon got up off his seat! He waited for his mate to be given the brush off by the older bloke and then they got off the bus and waited at the stop for the next bus to come along:crazy:

Jukebox Jury

Jukebox Jury

Rock on Phill. I got on of those DARWIN walking fish symbols for my car. Nice.

Peter

Phill. They live in a large house down the road from me. Although they go by a Scandinavian name (which escapes me) they are always Americans, usually in their early twenties. They are given travel passes and go out in pairs. So all day long we see these very clean cut Evangelists with their little backpacks walking up and down the road.

Were they tall? They always seen to be tall?

Last edited:
What you do is go up to them and say, "God will never give you more than you can handle."

Then you punch them in the face.

They must be following me around - the other week I was coming back from Hebden Bridge on a bus (Sunday afternoon) and two of them got on near Littleborough, one sat next to me and the other next to an older bloke and started asking me what I thought of god etc. He soon got up off his seat! He waited for his mate to be given the brush off by the older bloke and then they got off the bus and waited at the stop for the next bus to come along:crazy:

Jukebox Jury

They are a bit stalkerish!! Years ago I had the same two turn up at my parent's house, my place of work and my sister's house within a fortnight!!

Jukebox Jury

What a terrible misconception you must have about Americans. Just to set the record straight, I assure you, if you had met these men in America, they would have been carrying automatic rifles, too.

What a terrible misconception you must have about Americans. Just to set the record straight, I assure you, if you had met these men in America, they would have been carrying automatic rifles, too.

I haven't got the time of day for Americans.....*
I actually asked the one on the bus where he was from, before he got off. He said 'Utah'.
I said 'I guessed that you would say that':D

Jukebox Jury
*except one:thumb:

Phill. They live in a large house down the road from me. Although they go by a Scandinavian name (which escapes me) they are always Americans, usually in their early twenties. They are given travel passes and go out in pairs. So all day long we see these very clean cut Evangelists with their little backpacks walking up and down the road.

Were they tall? They always seen to be tall?

They're Mormons, Latter Day Saints. Do they look frighteningly healthy and squeaky clean? Utah has the highest rate of antidepressant use by young married women. Just saying.

I ran into the Mormons when in I was in Cork, though yeah just what the Irish want the Mormons. Sure enough they approached me. Said I was an atheist, of course that pissed them off then I walked away. Just stay in Utah you freaks

Jukebox Jury

Well I'm not surprised as I can count 5 church's on Kenyon Lane alone, well one on Brendan Avenue, your surrounded :confused:
The only place worthy of worship is 'The Man City supporters club' :bow: also on Kenyon Lane....Is that still there btw?

I've not been to Moston in Yonks.

Never talk to Mormons whilst on an E.
They will forever be your "friends".

Nice polite chaps though.

Well I'm not surprised as I can count 5 church's on Kenyon Lane alone, well one on Brendan Avenue, your surrounded :confused:
The only place worthy of worship is 'The Man City supporters club' :bow: also on Kenyon Lane....Is that still there btw?

I've not been to Moston in Yonks.

Ha ha clearly you havent been to Kenyon Lane in Yonks.
The sports and social club was boarded up maybe 2/3 years ago and demolished a short while later.
Empty, unfinished apartments now sit on the site:rolleyes:
Had some good supporters club nights in there and also watching away games in there.

Jukebox Jury

There were two of them that must have been following me because I saw them several times. One night I was walking my dog and this car pulls in front of me and stopped in the street. It was like something from a movie. They got out, and I could see that they weren't scary looking. They wanted to talk about the book of Mormon, and I took a copy. I thought it might be interesting to see what they believe. (I also ordered a free koran, not from the same people, which I wrote about before. IT arrived in a ziplock bag, the envelope having been shredded. :eek: )

Anyway, they gave me the book but we didn't really talk about that. They asked about my dog and things like that, and then they took off. About a week later when I got home, I was told, "Your new friends were here". They had come to talk about the book I guess.

Then I saw the same two in town and they stopped again. I don't see them as a threat or bad people, and they are young and willing to discuss things. They are not as rigid as you would think, though I"m sure it's all about getting you to come to the church and then turning it up. Anyway, we had some kind of discussion I forget now, and they invited me to the church, and I said I didn't think I would be going, but that I would read the book.

I never read it though, or the Koran.

Having ideas forced on you is not pleasant, whether it's coming from Americans or Mormons or whoever. I know that. But I also think there is a cultural thing that makes it different for British people. There is nothing in the US comparable to the Church of England, and the Pope has never asked that the head of state of the US be disregarded as a legitimate authority or executed, as has happened in England. I think that Americans are more easygoing about it, because when we declared independence and became a free nation, we were able to sort of hit the reset button, and get rid of a lot of the history that causes your country to suffer so much religious intolerance.

I had no idea until recently just how different and strange Mormonism is from the rest of Christianity. That people become gods when they die, and inherit one of several kingdoms of glory: the Celestial Kingdom, the Terrestrial Kingdom or the Telestial Kingdom. There's more strangeness that I can't remember.

It's strange to me that some modern mortals decide they have the authority and information from God to make up new scripture and beliefs that don't seem to be in the bible, and other mortals decide to follow them and take their word as scripture while they're still living.

And then there's http://www.mormon-underwear.com

Why is making up something now different than believing something that was made up a long time ago? I think that the Mormon power-ups are tempting actually.

Tags
placeholders poor dave warlock shame
Back
Top Bottom