American God Squad in Moston, Manchester

Why is making up something now different than believing something that was made up a long time ago? I think that the Mormon power-ups are tempting actually.

Other than Pastafarianism and Unitarianism, the other religion I feel some affection for (as much as an agnostic / atheist can) is Jehovah's Witness, because I feel like they have the most accurate interpretation of the bible, unadulterated by arbitrary changes injected by early popes for purely selfish reasons (like arbitrarily rescheduling the Sabbath and church services for Sunday). Unfortunately their Watchtower publication just makes them seem like your average religious lunatics, rather than intelligently presenting their case.

What Jehovah's Witness, you can't be serious? Those people are the biggest bunch of freaks. I work with one and I can't stand her, don't really need to hear that I'm evil because I celebrated my birthday or give Christmas presents to people. There is nothing intelligent about them.

Other than Pastafarianism and Unitarianism, the other religion I feel some affection for (as much as an agnostic / atheist can) is Jehovah's Witness, because I feel like they have the most accurate interpretation of the bible, unadulterated by arbitrary changes injected by early popes for purely selfish reasons (like arbitrarily rescheduling the Sabbath and church services for Sunday). Unfortunately their Watchtower publication just makes them seem like your average religious lunatics, rather than intelligently presenting their case.

The thing with that is, the Bible was written by men, not dropped out of the sky, so I really don't get how it could be unadulterated. It's been edited, rewritten and censored ever since it came to be. My in-laws are JW, so I've had my fill of the Watchtower:crazy:
What I found most shocking about them is how open they are about their complete intolerance of other Christian religions. And I always felt bad for the JW kids that had to go sit in the hall when we would have our Christmas parties at school.:(

I personally don't believe in the bible at all.

BUT, if people choose to be Christian, a belief structure heavily dependent on the bible as being the word of god, then it seems internally inconsistent in a number of ways for modern day humans, either believers or figureheads, to ignore, adapt or change the belief system away from what it says in the bible... e.g. by inventing new things like purgatory. It's hard to argue with Christianity, since it has defined itself as being a leap of faith rather than anything logical. But I think you can argue it on points where it is internally inconsistent with itself or with other biblical or christian tenets, like here.

That's what I mean by "unadulterated." I personally don't believe there was anything holy about the original apostles. But they lived a long time ago and have inherited a gravitas and obscurity of tangible details that is hard to logically argue with. I think it's easier to see and assert the foolishness of believing in the holiness of apostles and other spokespeople the closer they get to modern times and more details are known about their lives.

I read this title as, "American God Squad in Boston, Massachusetts".

I was like..."yeah, so the f*** what?". Now that I can read it correctly I'm like..."Yeah, so the f*** what?"

Does Moston still have those tower blocks called 'Jennifer' & 'Samantha' or whatever the names are?

I've ran into the Americo-Mank mormons a few times, I don't mind them to be honest. They got a bit stuck last time because the guy next to me did some buliding work on their church/temple & wouldn't let them leave before he'd told them all about it.

Does Moston still have those tower blocks called 'Jennifer' & 'Samantha' or whatever the names are?

:confused:Not in Moston:confused:

There are no tower blocks in Moston, except one (small one) on the Miners estate.
Do you mean the three tower blocks in Collyhurst named after the Pankhursts?
Sylvia, Emmeline and Christabel?

Jukebox Jury

Ha ha clearly you havent been to Kenyon Lane in Yonks.
The sports and social club was boarded up maybe 2/3 years ago and demolished a short while later.
Empty, unfinished apartments now sit on the site:rolleyes:
Had some good supporters club nights in there and also watching away games in there.

Jukebox Jury

:eek: The Social club has been demolished? well its been about 4 years since i passed down your way as my Mum was still living in Harpurhey, things were looking different even then on Moston Lane, had some good times in Moston & Harpurhey especially in the 'Farmyard' I don't think that is there anymore :rolleyes:

:eek: The Social club has been demolished? well its been about 4 years since i passed down your way as my Mum was still living in Harpurhey, things were looking different even then on Moston Lane, had some good times in Moston & Harpurhey especially in the 'Farmyard' I don't think that is there anymore :rolleyes:

The Museum - boarded up (not a bad thing:lbf:)
The Ben Brierley - was due to open as a community resource centre in August....still not opened yet
The Bricklayers (or is it The Loom?) - boarded up, in state of demolition due to fire once it was boarded up
The Moston - boarded up (shut after the judge branded it a wild west saloon bar:lbf:)
The Lightbowne - boarded up
The Kestral - boarded up

Jukebox Jury

The Ben Brierley - was due to open as a community resource centre in August....still not opened yet
The Bricklayers (or is it The Loom?) - boarded up, in state of demolition due to fire once it was boarded up
The Moston - boarded up (shut after the judge branded it a wild west saloon bar:lbf:)
The Kestral - boarded up

Jukebox Jury

Is there anything in Manchester that isn't boarded up? :p

:confused:Not in Moston:confused:

There are no tower blocks in Moston, except one (small one) on the Miners estate.
Do you mean the three tower blocks in Collyhurst named after the Pankhursts?
Sylvia, Emmeline and Christabel?

Jukebox Jury

They're the ones. Moston is up that way though innit?

Fair do's naming tower blocks after the Pankhursts but I don't think I could bring myself to live in building called Christabel with a big pink sign on top saying the same.

I once got some English Jehovah's Witnesses that came to my door. They kept asking for my "mommy"...I was 18. Then my Grandma came to the door and yelled, "I've got my own religion. I'm a Roman Catholic and I'm not shoving it down your throat so stop shoving yours down mine". Then she slammed the door. Then I said, "That's what she said" and we had a 20 minute coversation about who "she" is.

I think we're even.

The Kestral - boarded up

Jukebox Jury

The Bricklayers Arms. When I last went past (Christmas Day) it hardly had a roof. Is it possible to board up The Moston? From what I remember it didn't have many windows? In the 80's it became an Irish pub for a few years and actually managed to attract a decent crowd. I was once in for a wake and had Celtic on the football card that went round. I won and I let out the biggest "Yes!". I forgot that I was sat next to my aunt (the widow). Taxi for Stephen!

(like arbitrarily rescheduling the Sabbath and church services for Sunday).

The Gospel writers purposely reveal Jesus' resurrection and appearances were on Sunday. This is because Sunday had now become the most important day in the life of the Church.

Acts 20:7 shows the apostolic tradition of gathering together to celebrate the Eucharist on Sunday, the "first day of the week." Luke documents that the principle worship was on a Sunday because this was one of the departures from the Jewish form of worship.

Heb. 7:12 indicates that when there is a change in the priesthood, there is a change in the law as well. Because we have a new Priest and a new sacrifice, we also have a new day of worship, which is Sunday

See, nothing to do with the eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeevil Pope! It happened as soon as the early Church began. But of course the Pope is evil according to you so it was all part of his evil masterplan since day one. Are you mates with Dan Brown?:D

Last edited:
Other than Pastafarianism and Unitarianism, the other religion I feel some affection for (as much as an agnostic / atheist can) is Jehovah's Witness

Pastafarianism is definitely a religion I could go for. With pesto, parmesan and a nice Chianti.

Tags
placeholders poor dave warlock shame
Back
Top Bottom