"And Goodbye To 2018" - Morrissey Central (December 27th)

JasonKing_sj3oeh.jpg
images-1_bza0os.jpg

Ken_Dodd_2_tda3wm.jpg Unknown-1_bocaig.jpg Unknown-3_d12eer.jpg a8ba7e2145f81cc90a3712e93ab1043f0b80d2f8_t9y2r6.jpg

(P. Wyngarde, L. Fraser, K. Dodd, P. Shelley, F. Fielding & B. Reynolds).

https://www.morrisseycentral.com/messagesfrommorrissey/and-goodbye-to-2018

A pictorial look at some of the losses in 2018.
Regards,
FWD.

Related item:

Last edited by a moderator:
How tall was Pete Shelley? He looks like a midget in that picture. I think he must've been pretty short, because he looks short in this group picture from the same shoot:

BUZZCOCKS-3_1250.jpg

Although, to be fair to the man, he is posed a step or two back from his fellow band members. Nevertheless. I don't know; he just looks pretty short. Nothing against shortness. Roman Polanski was short (presumably still is) and he was a great director. The Buzzocks were no The Smiths, of course. Morrissey was right to criticize Pete Shelley for licensing a song to a McDonald's ad. I liked it in Autobiography when he noted the death of Neil Aspinall: "well, that's what you get for being so nasty."

:lbf:

same size as:handpointright::guardsman::handpointleft: 5 foot 1 or at most 5 foot 2:fist:

5ft4 and full of crap.
Not even average. Poor singer who died a peasant.

Everyone’s entitled to an opinion but guess what, you knew of him, however he didn’t die a peasant and will always be remembered due to having a Wiki page, whereas you as a troll will certainly die a peasant, be chucked into an unmarked grave with nobody in attendance and remembered by no one. Well done on spending your time alive so full of bile and hate.

Last edited:
5'4" sounds right, judging from the picture. That's definitely short. I remember when Tori Amos bizarrely called Morrissey short. I wonder what she would've thought of Pete Shelley.

5'4" sounds right, judging from the picture. That's definitely short. I remember when Tori Amos bizarrely called Morrissey short. I wonder what she would've thought of Pete Shelley.

It is right, he was the same height as my wife and I mentioned it one night when they were stood side by side. I doubt whether Tori Amos would think anything about Pete as he was generally a very private person.

I meant, what she would've thought of his height. Because she's 5'2" and Morrissey's about 6' I believe, yet she described him as "this little short guy." If she thought Morrissey was short ...

I meant, what she would've thought of his height. Because she's 5'2" and Morrissey's about 6' I believe, yet she described him as "this little short guy." If she thought Morrissey was short ...

If she knew of him and his height and said what you say she said about Morrisseys height I assume she would have thought Pete was very short?

I thought Linder said that he was really depressed, popping anti-depressants because he really wanted to do it, but ultimately it was too much pressure. Anyone have that quote?

I don't know whether Linder said anything on this subject, but Jo Slee definitely did in an interview. Here's the quote you are looking for:
"He was very ill with depression," says Jo Slee. "He wasn't really fit to go on the road, although I didn't know how ill he was until he really began to come apart at the seams"
You can find the entire article (Manchester's answer to the H-bomb: how it all blew up on Morrisey and The Smiths" in the archives on this site:
https://www.morrissey-solo.com/articles/uncut0898b.htm

I had read it before, but reading it again, I shall say that it is still very relevant today. Very insightful.

Oops, I should have scrolled through the entire thread, but I was eager to look up that article again. Among many insightful comments, this one seems very pertinent:
Grant Showbiz: "I can imagine Morrissey bankrupting himself one day. He loves tragedy. He thinks the world's against him."

We have seen glimpses of these self-destructive forces in 2018.
At the same time, Morrissey is a relentless fighter, doesn't really give up easily.
It will be interesting to see what 2019 (and the years beyond) will bring.
Always hoping for the best, but not necessarily expecting it.

we can add june whitfield to this list,great comedy actress.

I don't know whether Linder said anything on this subject, but Jo Slee definitely did in an interview. Here's the quote you are looking for:
"He was very ill with depression," says Jo Slee. "He wasn't really fit to go on the road, although I didn't know how ill he was until he really began to come apart at the seams"
You can find the entire article (Manchester's answer to the H-bomb: how it all blew up on Morrisey and The Smiths" in the archives on this site:

I had read it before, but reading it again, I shall say that it is still very relevant today. Very insightful.
Morrissey was very clear about why he let the Bowie tour.

The excuse of depression was just a standard marketing ploy, much like how publicists claim that a certain embattled celebrity is going to rehab to escape the tabloids.

Many Morrissey fans have an almost child-like naivete when it comes to the subject of Morrissey. They think he's supernatural, and above petty ego battles.

I had read it before, but reading it again, I should say that it is still very relevant today. Very insightful.
It describes in clinical detail the elements of a personality disorder. To be fair, a personality disorder is not a mental illness, but it helps to explain the nature of a person's tendency toward dysfunctional relationships.

Also, I do believe that Morrissey's persona, and lyrics attract fans with personality disorders.

I'm not saying this as a condemnation, but as a means for some to help understand Morrissey, and themselves a bit more.

When it comes to personality disorders, a little self-awareness goes a long way to improving yourself. Everyone could use some self-awareness.

It describes in clinical detail the elements of a personality disorder. To be fair, a personality disorder is not a mental illness, but it helps to explain the nature of a person's tendency toward dysfunctional relationships.

Also, I do believe that Morrissey's persona, and lyrics attract fans with personality disorders.

I'm not saying this as a condemnation, but as a means for some to help understand Morrissey, and themselves a bit more.

When it comes to personality disorders, a little self-awareness goes a long way to improving yourself. Everyone could use some self-awareness.

The only problem here is that what gets termed "disordered" is the prerogative of the majority. Consensus rules, and as it happens, most people in this life have the compassion of a rock. Morrissey is the exceptional kind of person who actually thinks and feels, and because he can transmit that through his music, he appeals to other people who think and feel. There are, of course, casual Morrissey fans out there, but he inspires obsessiveness in his fans on a rare level because his sensitivity is so exceptional.

If Morrissey was well-adjusted according to the consensus, well, then he would've just been another Robbie Williams or someone, and the music would communicate nothing, neither insight nor hilarity. "Improving yourself" is for the dullards who buy Jordan Peterson self-help books. Anyway, Morrissey could never improve himself because, as I think he once said of his own hair, "you don't tamper with perfection."

Thank you for this info: "If anyone’s interested, Pete Shelley was buried in Estonia on Thursday 13th December 2018 with his family and close friends in attendance."

Was he buried in the Estonian capital Tallinn? Pete Shelley moved to Tallinn, Estonia, in 2012 with his second wife, Greta, an Estonian, preferring the less hectic pace there to life in London, England where he had been living previously. Pete Shelley died on Thursday 6th December 2018 at the age of 63.

Pete Shelley (born Peter Campbell McNeish; 17th April 1955 – 6th December 2018). Pete Shelley was born to Margaret and John McNeish at 48 Milton Street, in Leigh, Lancashire. His mother was an ex-mill worker in the town and his father was a fitter at Astley Green Colliery. He had a younger brother, Gary.

One of the most famous songs from the "Buzzcocks" is "Ever Fallen in Love (With Someone You Shouldn't've)". They also did "What Do I Get?". Morrissey covered the Pete Shelley composed Buzzcocks song, "You Say You Don't Love Me".
shelley must have had Scottish roots with names like campbel mcneish.

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom