Anonymous Users

David,

Could you reconsider the ability to post anonymously?
I don't think the problem is as much about trolling- as it is about it being so damn boring coming here to read anonymous post after anonymous post after anonymous post.

There's no emotional investment, no sense of community (good or bad), and in my opinion, no character.

Anyone got a brick wall Trubs can bash her head against?

If you don't want to read anonymous comments, you can hide them by doing the following:

Go to your account settings and add "Unregistered Users" to your ignore list.

David,

Could you reconsider the ability to post anonymously?
I don't think the problem is as much about trolling- as it is about it being so damn boring coming here to read anonymous post after anonymous post after anonymous post.

There's no emotional investment, no sense of community (good or bad), and in my opinion, no character.

If you don't want to read anonymous comments, you can hide them by doing the following:

Thanks- I know how to do that.
I've just never seen a forum with so many anonymous posters.

I'm glad that's possible, but it doesn't really address the problem. Those anonymous comments still appear as quoted text in amy replies that follow. That's the same reason I stopped adding users to my ignore list—there's no point.

The bigger issue is the one that troubleluvsme mentioned: All these anonymous comments make it very hard to make personal connections, or to get a sense of who is saying what. One of the things I like about message board-based communities is that over time you come to know what to expect from different members, and to start to consider their different perspectives and experiences. You don't get any of that with anonymous comments—like I said in another thread, it's like one person named Anonymous with 4000 different personalities.

OK, there's my 2¢.

anonymous users keep site traffic high I suppose :confused:
of course, they drive away registered users, not that anyone in power seems to care :cool:
so its a vicious cycle :crazy:
anyways, surely most of us have better things to do with our time anyhoo, so best get to it
leave-1_zps8ce65706.gif

That was a very good group of musicians to listen to, thank you.

as far as anon posters, i see what your are saying about not being able to counter points or engage a point. I see anon posters a statements only. Heck I think I am a statement kind of poster and very short with the convo, you guys don't know anything really about me. I would actually take the anon posters any day over the hate spewed drivel that is allowed between certain members. i try to be funny and light with my hardest post (and there is that context in them), but some of these reg posters really mean it, is that the community we are talking about here. i like reading the real convo's, but i feel they are more interrupted by regulars than anons. anon are moderated, reg's are not. Maybe the anon are that bad, I just skim through them mostly. Without clear directions and consequences for standards of conduct, this will not be a community. anarchy does not build community. rule of law is a foundation. there is no law here, and don't give me TOS, because TOS is what we have right now. It has to be subjective sometimes. but standards take work to uphold and he may not have the fortitude to be that strong and be up to that task anyway.

A message board forum that I use to visit would allow you 10 visits as a guest then after 10 you had to register to read posts. It worked as I didn't register and nor have I been back!. Is that something that could happen here?

This issue is addressed every 6 months or so. Some info on the decision to allow anonymous posts here:

http://www.morrissey-solo.com/content/1345-General-Posting-Policy

I'm glad that's possible, but it doesn't really address the problem. Those anonymous comments still appear as quoted text in amy replies that follow. That's the same reason I stopped adding users to my ignore list—there's no point.

The bigger issue is the one that troubleluvsme mentioned: All these anonymous comments make it very hard to make personal connections, or to get a sense of who is saying what. One of the things I like about message board-based communities is that over time you come to know what to expect from different members, and to start to consider their different perspectives and experiences. You don't get any of that with anonymous comments—like I said in another thread, it's like one person named Anonymous with 4000 different personalities.

OK, there's my 2¢.

Last edited:
That was a very good group of musicians to listen to, thank you.

as far as anon posters, i see what your are saying about not being able to counter points or engage a point. I see anon posters a statements only. Heck I think I am a statement kind of poster and very short with the convo, you guys don't know anything really about me. I would actually take the anon posters any day over the hate spewed drivel that is allowed between certain members. i try to be funny and light with my hardest post (and there is that context in them), but some of these reg posters really mean it, is that the community we are talking about here. i like reading the real convo's, but i feel they are more interrupted by regulars than anons. anon are moderated, reg's are not. Maybe the anon are that bad, I just skim through them mostly. Without clear directions and consequences for standards of conduct, this will not be a community. anarchy does not build community. rule of law is a foundation. there is no law here, and don't give me TOS, because TOS is what we have right now. It has to be subjective sometimes. but standards take work to uphold and he may not have the fortitude to be that strong and be up to that task anyway.

Believe me, this post DOES say a great deal about you. You are not as mysterious and elusive as you think. Not even close.

What is the alternative LoF?

Yep, already read it long ago. Since the policy hasn't changed, it's still a valid issue for discussion—right?

I like the alternative LoF suggested above. That makes an allowance for one-time questions/discussions and info-sharing.

I like as many people to visit and contribute as possible, how would this change improve the community? Real example URLs would help also as proof of concept.

A message board forum that I use to visit would allow you 10 visits as a guest then after 10 you had to register to read posts. It worked as I didn't register and nor have I been back!. Is that something that could happen here?

I like as many people to visit and contribute as possible, how would this change improve the community? Real example URLs would help also as proof of concept.

Understand that. What's really interesting is when you engage an anonymous poster and they answer back.

Before you can respond one or two more anonymous posters engage each other and after that I'm lost. Oh well....

Understand that. What's really interesting is when you engage an anonymous poster and they answer back.

Before you can respond one or two more anonymous posters engage each other and after that I'm lost. Oh well....

Exactly. That's the issue that I have as well.

So you'd rather not engage with that person to begin with? You can choose not to. It's likely they wouldn't be posting if it weren't for the ability to post anonymously.

Back
Top Bottom