Anyone remember this?

Bluebirds

this can't be posted enough times.

really and truly beautiful in every way.

Absolutely gorgeous...Thanks for the memories. :)

To be honest I can't be bothered looking up links from the past (I'm not a moderator) but someone remarked on the veracity of the haircut, someone else (not me vicar) remembered the context of the broadcast and if you read Meetings With Morrissey by the unhappy Scouse (as of yesterday) Dickie Felton there's a great story about the Comme De Garcons jacket he wore for the performance!

Legalize it! :rolleyes: I think the cutaway to Velouria is interesting, whoever made the recording thought Moz trumped the Pixies. Beautiful singing.

Never seen this performance before on Jonathan Ross, but still The Smiths will always beat Morrissey solo.

Watching this I feel so old. And yet strangely young...
:confused:

I've changed my plea to guilty

Incidentally many thanks to mozmal, download link is available from here

sic: you mean The Day I Met Morrissey.

Meetings With Morrissey is the Len Brown book.

I stand corrected!!! I haven't read the Len Brown tome. I like your use of sic too.

I stand corrected!!! I haven't read the Len Brown tome. I like your use of sic too.

Thank you, sir.

The Len Brown tome is worth having. Good one-on-one interviews and some funny gossipy bits too. I think it's now in paperback so reasonably cheap.

And I remember the Jonathan Ross clip at the time. It was a weekday, on about tea-time. It was stunning because he was on there to promote Kill Uncle which was just being released and instead he played something brand new that wouldn't be released until later in the year. For about six months I had it in my head as "The Emotional Air Raid Song" until it came out as a B side.

I had it playing at a party when I heard someone say"It sounds like You'll never walk alone"...I was a bit miffed, but later I agreed.

Yes, I remember watching on tv the night it was originally broadcast. I wasn't expecting it to be on so didn't have a tape handy in the VCR (remember sitting with your finger on the pause button?);)

Yes, I remember watching on tv the night it was originally broadcast. I wasn't expecting it to be on so didn't have a tape handy in the VCR (remember sitting with your finger on the pause button?);)

tee hee, i still have half of this on VHS:p. I remember hearing JR mention Moz, rushing to the video, covering the broken seal with cellotape and forcing the video back into the machine... only missed a tad:thumb:. This is definitely my favourite Moz performance on UK TV:love:. It's just breathtaking!:flowers::flowers:

Thanks for the reminder;)

[YOUTUBE]<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/6y0wWE-TnCc&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/6y0wWE-TnCc&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>[/YOUTUBE]

I posted this before on an old thread about this topic. Nothing's changed:

I remember on the day (a miserable Monday, 10th of December 1990) listening to 'Steve Wright in the afternoon' on Radio 1, and for some reason he announced that misery-guts-Morrissey was a very last minute addition to that evenings 'Tonight with Jonathan Ross' on Channel 4. Clearly, even though he hated Moz the news was big enough to warrant a mention as M. just never did that kind of thing in those days. The consensus among Steve's 'posse' was that it was a wind-up, he would never appear. Then, in the little live trail on C4 in the ads before the show, Ross was sat next to a man with a brown paper bag on his head, dropping all sorts of hints about who the 'mystery singer' was. I still thought it could be a 'hilarious' joke right up until the moment the spotlight hit him in that cross-fade close-up...
Best Morrissey television performance EVAH, bar none. It's all good; the hair (what would you even call that style ~ EpilepticQuiff ? PsychoElvis?) immaculate sideburns, CdG bomber jacket, glam silver shirt, the song, the singing, the way he places the microphone on the studio floor at the end, waves awkwardly and walks away to the screams of the crowd and Vic'n'Bob. It even shut Jonathan Ross up momentarily. At the time you truly didn't know if this would be the last time you saw Moz, such was the fragile state of his 'career' position.
I was watching and taping with my dad in the room and his only comments were 'Ha, just looks like bloody Elvis!' and 'what's with the plaster?' I still can't answer that...
All the reasons why I love Morrissey can be boiled down to the one moment in this footage at 3:13; that look in his eyes just before he shuts them tight and belts out the final flourish. Watching it back then on that magnificent Monday night I just knew that, for good or ill, I was hooked.

I
Besd 'what's with the plaster?' I still can't answer that...
maybe a far stretch but i have read an article years ago(some female based mag sorts-could be cosmopolitan or glamour) about women wearing plasters when they are in an vulnerable emotional state -and cause you can show it to the outside how your inner feeling looks the plaster is a viewable sign:confused:
was news to me-i have never done that..but oh well...
with men though - well lets put the the typical gender roles which society applies to men or women aside for a moment

to think of it i recently saw a rerun of sex and the city where carrie does that too
(i like the show, minus the whole gucci/manolo etc stuff which i couldnt care less about its highly entertaining and funny)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom