Article: 75% of The Smiths to re-unite at Coachella Festival 2013 according to Radcliffe and Maconie

UPDATE 5:30PM PT:

Response from Morrissey's rep:

'The Smiths will NEVER get back together,' says rep, despite new rumors - HitFix

This is what was just said on Radcliffe and Maconie on BBC6Music. The claim is that the next Coachella festival is to be meat free and 3 of the 4 Smiths will be playing there together.
The 1 missing was not named. You can listen to it online on BBc I-player, after 4 0 clock today when the show ends.
I hope it's true.

Other rumors at Holy Moly! (link posted by ToDieByYourSide):

The Smiths will reform in 2013 - confirmed by several sources with rumour of Glastonbury - Holy Moly!

Excerpt:

We’ve now heard from several credible sources that The Smiths have agreed to reform in 2013 for four UK shows. And despite such rumours turning out to be total balls in the past, this one has enough weight to it that we’re prepared to call it confirmed, and hang the consequences.

Related item:

Last edited by a moderator:
Re: Article: 75% of The Smiths to re-unite at Coachella Festival 2013 according to Ra

Wanna know how I know you have no idea what you're talking about?

1) The Smiths - he literally drove Marr out because he was such a diva and could not handle having a manager

Because that's totally what happened.

Reni said 2 weeks before Stone Roses announced that there was no chance. Part of the fun is the buzz that is generated by a suprise announcement.

But there are some signals that cannot be missed.

Morrissey has really slowed down his interest in a new album. The new songs are terrible...and signal to me that he is not interested in releasing another solo album.

His book would be huge if a reformed Smiths happened...literally #1 in the UK and maybe in the USA.

As much as artists talk about the art of it, the $$ would ensure that they would be secure until their dying days. The one variable is that Moz has no kids or ex wives to support like Ian Brown...

That you are comparing The Smiths' situation to The Stone Roses and that you believe there is ANY chance that Morrissey's autobiography could be a #1 best seller in the USA is evident of a painfully embarrassing error in judgment on your part. There is no one with anything near the spiteful and unforgiving personality and excessive self-pride of Morrissey in The Stone Roses. Furthermore, a significant amount of people on these forums have voiced interest in the handful of new songs we've been presented with and the promise surrounding the rest of the album that is written that your final say of "I think the songs are shit, so Moz probably isn't going to release another album" cannot be taken as a serious point in your argument. Obviously, if Morrissey landed a record deal tomorrow (which even at this point wouldn't be impossible if he but lowered his standards just a little bit), the majority of us would run out and buy the product. His audience is still strong enough - evident by the tour turnouts - that "lack of interest" isn't a concern to him, and the threat of such a notion wouldn't keep him from releasing an album.

Re: Article: 75% of The Smiths to re-unite at Coachella Festival 2013 according to Ra

I don't care what denials are given, I've still got a feelin' about Moz and Marr next year.

P.

you've been banging that particular drum for years, you are delusional

Never said there was a lack of interest.
Look, I wanted to like Ringleaders...1/2 of it was quite good.

I am not here to debate the quality of the songs. I have my opinion - you have yours.

All I am saying is if there EVER a chance...this is it.

The new songs are terrible...and signal to me that he is not interested in releasing another solo album.

My mistake in reading your post was that you thought that public opinion was that the songs were terrible - hence the lack of interest point. But now you're trying to fob off that he's not interested in releasing another solo album because he thinks the new songs are terrible? Of course, that's blatantly obvious by his decision to tour with them in the setlist and play them in his major television appearances...

I love moz fanatics. Anyway, you decide which songs sound better: New Marr or New Moz.

You're right - The Smiths are definitely getting back together.

I think something may have been lost in translation here. If it ever happens it'll be Morrissey, Marr, Rourke and drummer 'X'. I wouldn't necessarily dismiss these rumours out of hand here. There's something about it this time, can't quite put my finger on it...

P.

Well Morrissey had quite a lot drummers at hand in the last 25 Years, maybe Deano has spare time???? Honestly, i waited 10 years after thhe split for a reformation, but after that time it made no sense to me anymore. If I remember the otherwise brilliant Olympic Games Closing Ceremony, i don't want to see remains of The Smiths just like the figures that still call themselfes The Who or Queen...

I do prefer to quote the late Geroge Harrison who answered the question for a Beatles reunion with 'not as long as John is dead'.

I do prefer to quote the late Geroge Harrison who answered the question for a Beatles reunion with 'not as long as John is dead'.

Love that quote :D

Morrissey doesn't need to reform The Smiths anyway. But he definately needs a new band and new songwriters, otherwise he can say "ta-ta" to his solo career.

Love that quote :D

Morrissey doesn't need to reform The Smiths anyway. But he definately needs a new band and new songwriters, otherwise he can say "ta-ta" to his solo career.

This is why I sort of think its now or never. Morrissey is up against it. I know there is a small loyal fan base that think the new songs are amazing, but the majority of the world who were fans 10 years ago are leaving...

I fully expect Morrissey to want one last chance at mass stardom. He will use Marr and Rourke to make $$ then decide he hates them and dump them after achieving a few million for a few gigs.

Just a guess. Likely wrong.

Reasons that I put the odds slightly better than 50/50:
3) Moz's songs are no longer on the radio...nor are they very good

This month's airplay from http://comparemyradio.com/artists/Morrissey/tracks
1. EDILS (26)
2. First of the Gang (23 plays)
3. IBEH (21 plays)
4. More you ignore (13)
5. Last of famous (12)

He's getting just the same airplay as usual.

I know there is a small loyal fan base that think the new songs are amazing, but the majority of the world who were fans 10 years ago are leaving...

Yet another infantile assertion with zero evidence. In fact, in terms of ticket sales, all the "evidence" is the exact opposite. MEN Arena was full - and I was amazed and delighted to see a fabulously diverse audience - a LOT of teenagers there (no, not with their parents) as well as people in their 50s and 60s. And how quickly did the two Sydney gigs sell out...? Before you say "Oh, Australia is only selling quickly because he hasn't been there for ten years", don't forget that argument is invalid if, as you erroneously claim, "the majority of the world...is deserting him".

Why do so many posters here harbour such meanness of spirit? And do they think they can somehow bring about the end of his career with enough of these pompous, evidence-free assertions? I don't want to make you feel any more impotent, but you ain't gonna achieve anything.

This is why I sort of think its now or never. Morrissey is up against it. I know there is a small loyal fan base that think the new songs are amazing, but the majority of the world who were fans 10 years ago are leaving...

I fully expect Morrissey to want one last chance at mass stardom. He will use Marr and Rourke to make $$ then decide he hates them and dump them after achieving a few million for a few gigs.

Just a guess. Likely wrong.

What the hell are you talking about? He's sold out venues worldwide this year. 11k tickets in NYC alone, as just one example. That's not a small fanbase.

Theres more chance of Morrissey and Crystalgeezer getting married

Yeah but he'll have to reform The Smiths so he can afford my fairy tale wedding. I wanna arrive in a pumpkin carriage made out of a real pumpkin! That shit costs money! :lbf:

My god, if they reformed they could sell out football stadiums in every major city on Earth...

Here's question, apart from a few million quid for the participants, what would be the point of a reunion?

Last edited:

"If people continue to ask that question now — which they do, then they shall never stop, and they shall never stop because they don't understand the history of the band. Asking about a Smiths reformation is no different to driving into fog."

"The Smiths are NEVER getting back together ~ ever! "

~ from the thoroughbred's mouth, so to speak, this week ...

http://www.metro.us/newyork/entertainment/article/1153283--morrissey-says-there-will-be-no-smiths-reunion-at-glastonbury-or-anywhere

Last edited:

Which means there's some truth to it. Doubt that the Coachella folks would go spouting off about something unless they had some kind of truth to it.

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom