Article: Daddy (James Franco's band) to release Smiths-inspired album "Let me Get What I Want"; feat

Re: Actor James Franco to release Smiths-inspired album, featuring Andy Rourke on bass

His poetry collection was roundly panned by the critics and general reader also his singing voice or whoever is singing is toneless.

On the plus side the music is good.

The thing that I find the most galling is the use of the title 'This Charming man', yet again Andy Rourke shows that he doesn't understand what the Smiths were or what using that title would mean.

Re: Actor James Franco to release Smiths-inspired album, featuring Andy Rourke on bass

Franco is singing in the video? His singing voice sounds crazy similar to Johnny Marr's.

I'm annoyed at myself for not hating this. I really, really want to hate it.

The thing that I find the most galling is the use of the title 'This Charming man', yet again Andy Rourke shows that he doesn't understand what the Smiths were or what using that title would mean.

Yeah. I think that's why I want to hate it. I'm having a hard time processing this whole thing, which I guess is probably part of Franco's intent.

An anonymous person posts the link:

James Franco's Art School Duo Daddy Prep Smiths-Inspired Album
- Rolling Stone
Original Smiths bassist Andy Rourke will appear on every track

Another anonymous person posts the link with the video premiere:

Watch the Newest Meta Music Video by James Franco's Band, Daddy - Vice

Excerpt:

We've got the exclusive premiere of "This Charming Man," the mind-bending new music video by James Franco and Tim O'Keefe's conceptual art school band, Daddy. The song is just a teaser for their upcoming full-length album, Let me Get What I Want, which set to drop in 2015. The new album, their third release since Franco and O'Keefe and started making music together as MFA students at the Rhode Island School of Design, is based off of Franco's book of verses, Directing Herbert White: Poems.

"We took a ten-poem sequence called 'The Best of the Smiths: Side A and Side B,'" Franco explained. "I originally wrote this sequence as a way to use one medium (music) to influence another one (poetry). The Smiths' songs provided inspiration for the poems, lending tone and situation. Once I had the sequence, Tim and I took the material one step further and turned the poems inspired by songs, back into songs of their own."

Last edited by a moderator:
Re: Article: Daddy (James Franco's band) to release Smiths-inspired album "Let me Get What I Want";

Andy pissfarting about with this crap...
Johnny touring with his decent enough band, 1000 times better than Boz and co, but not managing to avoid the white elephant in the room (no Moz)...
Moz touring with the blandfest that is his current band dealing with low-rent lawsuits and alleged punchups...

What an utter waste of talent just there. :(

Re: Article: Daddy (James Franco's band) to release Smiths-inspired album "Let me Get What I Want";

:rofl:

Johnny touring with his decent enough band, 1000 times better than Boz and co, but not managing to avoid the white elephant in the room (no Moz)...
Moz touring with the blandfest that is his current band dealing with low-rent lawsuits and alleged punchups...

Well you've hit the nail on the head there but we have to work with what we've got. Songs like 'Istanbul' and 'This Tension' aren't half bad.

There is something very, very creepy about James Franco.

Pot kettle black ...

I just tell the truth about Morrissey's sharp decline. Franco looks like he skins children.

Bring Me the Head of James Franco, That I May Prepare a Savory Goulash in the Narrow and Misshapen Pot of His Skull

http://voices.suntimes.com/arts-ent...r-ian-belknap-wants-the-head-of-james-franco/

"My hatred is of the Franco phenomenon,” he wrote recently in response to a question about the project, “and is a three-headed viper:

a) Franco’s many side projects (‘serious’ pursuit of multiple advanced degrees with no interruption of his film career, publishing poetry and fiction, performance art, appearing on soap operas, etc) creates a growing body of half-assed, under-imagined work which would be born and die in total obscurity if he were not a movie star,

b) a slackly uncritical press that KEEPS putting ‘Franco = Renaissance Man’ articles onto a conveyor belt already stacked high with them, and

c) a stupid and reflexively celebrity-crazed culture willing to consume any Weak and Boring Turd touched by the hand of a movie actor.

Bring Me the Head of James Franco, That I May Prepare a Savory Goulash in the Narrow and Misshapen Pot of His Skull

http://voices.suntimes.com/arts-ent...r-ian-belknap-wants-the-head-of-james-franco/

"My hatred is of the Franco phenomenon,” he wrote recently in response to a question about the project, “and is a three-headed viper:

a) Franco’s many side projects (‘serious’ pursuit of multiple advanced degrees with no interruption of his film career, publishing poetry and fiction, performance art, appearing on soap operas, etc) creates a growing body of half-assed, under-imagined work which would be born and die in total obscurity if he were not a movie star,

b) a slackly uncritical press that KEEPS putting ‘Franco = Renaissance Man’ articles onto a conveyor belt already stacked high with them, and

c) a stupid and reflexively celebrity-crazed culture willing to consume any Weak and Boring Turd touched by the hand of a movie actor.

Fair enough!

I can't say I disagree with any of this, though I admit to finding him likeable most of the time. I've probably unfollowed and refollowed him on Instagram two dozen times for this exact reason.

Next...

Fair enough!

I can't say I disagree with any of this, though I admit to finding him likeable most of the time. I've probably unfollowed and refollowed him on Instagram two dozen times for this exact reason.

i for sure like most of his film roles

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom