Article: "In publishing Morrissey's autobiography as a classic, Penguin has destroyed its own reputa

In publishing Morrissey's autobiography as a classic, Penguin has destroyed its own reputation - The Telegraph
by Brendan O'Neill

Excerpt:

But it isn't Morrissey we should be slating here; it's Penguin. In agreeing to publish Moz's apparently revealing life story as a classic, Penguin has unwittingly set fire to its own reputation. It has shown itself willing to cave in spectacularly to cultural relativism, to embrace the modern fashion for eschewing judgment in favour of squawking: "Everything is equally valid."

Also similarly, link posted by mozzeriansaroundtheworld / Tumblr:

Boyd Tonkin: Morrissey gets what he wants, and Penguin Classics sinks in the Ship Canal - The Independent

Excerpt:

This they don't teach you at business school. How do you wreck overnight the reputation of a global brand that, since 1946, has built up its worldwide trust on the basis of consistent excellence, expert selection and a commitment to pick and sell only the very best? Easy, really. You chuck 67 years of editorial rigour and learning out of the corporate window and kowtow to the whims of a petulant pop icon.

Last edited by a moderator:
Re: Article: "In publishing Morrissey's autobiography as a classic, Penguin has destroyed its own re

His one short story was meandering, overwritten and badly in need of editing, but not awful.

Is Morrissey a great pretender? We'll soon find out.

Has anyone mentioned who edited his book yet?

Re: Article: "In publishing Morrissey's autobiography as a classic, Penguin has destroyed its own re

If I may add my penn'orth.
The problem with Morrissey, for me, is not when he's regarded as what he is, a Pop singer (and I do not mean that as denigration, there have been great pop stars).
He's been a great pop singer and I love the records.
It is when people start talking about him as some kind of icon and due the worshipful respect of us all.
Ofcourse these days, he hardly even a pop start which is a shame.
I'd buy a new album in a thrice (much quicker than a book).
Oh, and I must disagree about his lyrics being poetry.
They're not, they're song words.
Does anybody, even the fans here, actually sit down and read the lyrics as poetry?

Indeed, they are not poetry. Witty, incisive lyrics - but they are not comparable to the experiments of poetry.
That is not what we should be commending anyway - his lyrics as poetry. Morrissey is a literate, intelligent man who sang some great songs. And is a cultural reference point for the age in which he sang.

Bit daft of him to call it a classic if his book turns out to be a pile of dogshit, he's gonna feel like a right silly sausage if that's the case.

Your face is a pile of dogshit.

Go suck an AIDS cock you f***ing, fat mongrel.

Wow. I'm starting to lose my faith in human intelligence. Is it really adults writing this stuff?

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom