Article: "In publishing Morrissey's autobiography as a classic, Penguin has destroyed its own reputa

In publishing Morrissey's autobiography as a classic, Penguin has destroyed its own reputation - The Telegraph
by Brendan O'Neill

Excerpt:

But it isn't Morrissey we should be slating here; it's Penguin. In agreeing to publish Moz's apparently revealing life story as a classic, Penguin has unwittingly set fire to its own reputation. It has shown itself willing to cave in spectacularly to cultural relativism, to embrace the modern fashion for eschewing judgment in favour of squawking: "Everything is equally valid."

Also similarly, link posted by mozzeriansaroundtheworld / Tumblr:

Boyd Tonkin: Morrissey gets what he wants, and Penguin Classics sinks in the Ship Canal - The Independent

Excerpt:

This they don't teach you at business school. How do you wreck overnight the reputation of a global brand that, since 1946, has built up its worldwide trust on the basis of consistent excellence, expert selection and a commitment to pick and sell only the very best? Easy, really. You chuck 67 years of editorial rigour and learning out of the corporate window and kowtow to the whims of a petulant pop icon.

Last edited by a moderator:
Um, well... thanks.

I should probably keep in mind that there are English journalists who seem to have built their careers around slagging Morrissey.

You can't strongarm a publisher or threaten them to do anything. They would not have agreed to use this imprint if they were not 100% on board.

Re: Article: "In publishing Morrissey's autobiography as a classic, Penguin has destroyed its own re

Amazing how few people still get camp (which is what the use of the imprint is). It's a common note in glam, too, such as when glam-worshiping Lawrence titled a Felt complication "Absolute Classic Masterpieces."

And finally there are ties with English humor in general, for example Spike Mulligan's memoir being titled "Adolf Hitler: My Part in His Downfall."

Especially in the first two instances, it's the outsider challenging the rest of the world to a fight via outlandish overconfidence. Classically Wildean. People who don't get it don't get Morrissey. Cue Mark Simpson to explain it to you all yet again...

Re: Article: "In publishing Morrissey's autobiography as a classic, Penguin has destroyed its own re

Well put! That's how I see it too. Why are these journalists acting like Penguin made a bad move? As if the directors at Penguin aren't business savvy capitalist controlling shareholders who don't know what they are doing? And did the people really declare all those books to be classics in the first place? Not totally. The government tells students what to read. Before that the publishers had to say yes and do some marketing. Nothing is totally chosen by the people, except maybe submission.

Interesting Libertarian/Anti-Government slant on it! Thanks!

It's only a matter of time. It's the new Godwin's Law.

You really, truly have to admire Morrissey: he always succeeds in throwing a wrench into the works. Now he's "destabilizing" the venerated Penguin Books and upending the notion of the literary cannon. He's redefining "classic."

I happen to have a bit of sympathy with those who see this as a cheap stunt. Were it any other pop star's scribblings I'd roll my eyes. But, as Pregs and King Leer point out, this is Morrissey - the man who raised pop lyrics and "performance" to a high art. He's not the only lyrical genius of the last 30 years, but he's the one who sang "there's more to life than books you know, but not much more." He's the one who wore those prophylactic spectacles and had himself photographed surrounded by books and hugging typewriters. He's one of the Great Geek Generation, and proud of it.

I hope that there's a bit of Mozmania on the way, enough to distract from his recent (mostly self-imposed) trials and tribulations. Morrissey is a man of massive, glaring contradictions, but he was one of the bookish tribe back in the day and he made sure everyone knew it. We admired him for being the geek who left his bedroom and showed the world that smart was sexy, introverted was intriguing, and bookish was beautiful.

Penguin will weather this storm. What started out as a bit of a joke on Morrissey's part may end up being a bit more profound. It will be fascinating to not only read the book, but to see how it all shakes out. It may fizzle or it may pop. Whatever the case, people will be talking.

Last edited:

You really, truly have to admire Morrissey: he always succeeds in throwing a wrench into the works. Now he's "destabilizing" the venerated Penguin Books and upending the notion of the literary cannon. He's redefining "classic."

I happen to have a bit of sympathy with those who see this as a cheap stunt. Were it any other pop star's scribblings I'd roll my eyes. But, as Pregs and King Leer point out, this is Morrissey - the man who raised pop lyrics and "performance" to a high art. He's not the only lyrical genius of the last 30 years, but he's the one who sang "there's more to life than books you know, but not much more." He's the one who wore those prophylactic spectacles and had himself photographed surrounded by books and hugging typewriters. He's one of the Great Geek Generation, and proud of it.

I hope that there's a bit of Mozmania on the way, enough to distract from his recent (mostly self-imposed) trials and tribulations. Morrissey is a man of massive, glaring contradictions, but he was one of the bookish tribe back in the day and he made sure everyone knew it. We admired him for being the geek who left his bedroom and showed the world that smart was sexy, introverted was intriguing, and bookish was beautiful.

Penguin will weather this storm. What started out as a bit of a joke on Morrissey's part may end up being a bit more profound. It will be fascinating to not only read the book, but to see how it all shakes out. It may fizzle or it may pop. Whatever the case, people will be talking.

Well said.

Reading the sycophantic posts on here is worrying. Moz can do no wrong and walks on water. Why doesn't he just go all the way and have it published as one of the Gospels? Moz has descended into psychotic megalomania. Penguin haven't or wouldn't do this for anyone else because no artist has been so grandiose to issue such a ridiculous ultimatum. It may well be a classic. It may be 500 pages of ranting and rambling. Let the reader decide...

And how the f*** would you know there even was an ultimatum? You think Morrissey has some photos of Mr Penguin in the nude and he's blackmailing them?

Morrissey is in the ideal position as no blame ever could be attributed to him, the vitriol is quite rightly being directed at Penguin and no one else.

Bowie would certainly be a coup. But despite some phenomenal lyrics in his back catalogue, he's never been seen as a "wordsmith" the way Morrissey has. Mick Jagger, too, has shown a lot of wit over the decades with more than enough stunning lyrics, and yet...
Oh, Mick Jagger, that'd be an interesting read too! :)
also, lots of other good posts in this thread now, but too many for a hungry man like me to quote all of :thumb:
however, notions like the "literary canon" well, they really are laughable, I mean its 2013 :rolleyes:
its just a sophisticated? form of branding in which many simply old books make it on the list, never to be taken off, no matter how dated they read now :cool:
so yeah, if one company calling Moz's autobio a "classic" b4 its even out makes more people read it, then mission accomplished :guitar:

Last edited:

I was thinking about this yesterday. "Camp" is too strong IMO but Wilde certainly came to mind. The classics tag is Morrissey's "I have nothing to declare but my own genius."

And rather than strong arming Penguin, I imagine it transpired more like Louis C.K. and cable channel FX's negotiations over "Louie". When they'd disagree with a stipulation he'd simply say "Okay, let's not do it."

Amazing how few people still get camp (which is what the use of the imprint is). It's a common note in glam, too, such as when glam-worshiping Lawrence titled a Felt complication "Absolute Classic Masterpieces."

And finally there are ties with English humor in general, for example Spike Mulligan's memoir being titled "Adolf Hitler: My Part in His Downfall."

Especially in the first two instances, it's the outsider challenging the rest of the world to a fight via outlandish overconfidence. Classically Wildean. People who don't get it don't get Morrissey. Cue Mark Simpson to explain it to you all yet again...

Last edited:

That FIBF pic

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    262.2 KB · Views: 9

morrissey rustling journos jimmies again :)

can't wait for the book

as an aside, saw and met Johnny Marr at his gig Saturday night. Someone cheekily asked him after if he'd ordered moz's book :D he just laughed. Meeting Johnny just confirmed what a top top bloke he is and I really hope Moz isn't scathing of his once best friend.........now we wait

What a prissy prat you are! I doubt you know very much about publishing at all, you certainly know nothing about Literature and Art given your atrocious comment history on this site. Oh, dear!

Anyroads, I was in the HSBC Hospitality Tent at the Cheltenham Literary Festival last night, closing night: it's been a great week and.....

*thinking*

sorry, amnesia again!

"Morrissey?...name rings a bell....Moseley?...no, it's gone...never mind...more wine?"

[smirks]

regards

"BrummieBoy"

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b03bsw9p

however, notions like the "literary canon" well, they really are laughable, I mean its 2013 :rolleyes:
its just a sophisticated? form of branding in which many simply old books make it on the list, never to be taken off, no matter how dated they read now :cool:
so yeah, if one company calling Moz's autobio a "classic" b4 its even out makes more people read it, then mission accomplished :guitar:

Whoa there Robby: those books get on that list not by virtue of their age, but by virtue of their virtue. There are certain texts that have shaped our common cultural history; that fact is unchanging, and those books will remain. Part of the point of the literary canon, however, is that it constantly changes; certain books that do not stand the test of time are discarded, and newer books take their place. Still, there are books that are eternal, that made us who we are, and we forget them at our peril.

You can mess with the idea of history, but you cannot mess with the fact of history. In the early naughts, when the second Iraq war broke out, Americans all over the country turned to Aristophanes' Lysistrata to make sense of a senseless time. That play is thousands of years old, but it is as relevant, tragic and funny today as the day in the 5th century BCE when it was first performed. That is a great, transcendent work of art.

Good luck to Morrissey's Autobiography. May it be another Moveable Feast.

Randy Penguin isn't stupid enough to publish this book as a 'Penguin Classic' if it doesn't fit the billing. They have read the manuscript and it is good. They know some will say it isn't a 'classic', but there's enough in it for them to be able to argue the case that it is, indeed, a classic. I am expecting a 'classic' and I feel sure that the publisher's name is appropriate, and in any case much better than 'Little Brown' Lovely cover picture here: http://www.penguinclassics.co.uk/ I can't imagine that there are many autobiogs published where the cover photo features the subject with eyes closed. More genius!

*rollseyes* FFS! Talk about desperate attempt to save your sunk investment. People are *talking* about Miley Cyrus and Rihanna too, also face time attention whores who think they are "destabilizing" pop culture when it's their minds that are heading for the cliff.

I wonder how many books he's actually read from cover to cover rather than a critical synopsis. Anyone can pretend to be educated and well-read so long as they never submit to any probing interview other than through the fluffers at 80s NME.

No doubt most will apply the same time-saving logic to his forthcoming comedy classic. It will be *quite good* or so I hear on the grapevine, but a "Penguin Classic"? That brand is now firmly in the shitter, let's see if this booky-wookie gets flushed down the pan in a week as well. Frank Ocean has achieved more than Morrissey with a mix-tape and a CD. His blog and video are genuine Art not lumpen thud recycled Dad-rock riffs from the jurassic era.

Let's not forget that Ian McCullough debunking of the pretentious pseudy one:

"I thought he was very nice but I quickly learnt it was a (French word I can't translate "tocard"). At one point to display his literary skill he talked of a chassam (chasm). You only need to open a dictionary to know you don't pronounce it like that. Contrary to him I never read books, but I've known how to pronounce that word since I was six years old."

http://www.morrissey-solo.com/news/1999/243.shtml

Nothing wrong with being ill-prepared for the literary life becuz of my poor edukation, but there's more, much more since, up to the absolute car-crash press release statements of the last few years which I'm sure he doesn't intend as ironic pastiche of Jerry Sadowtiz in full flow.

I have high hopes for utter lulzfestz from whatever dog's dinner of a final text has emerged from the smoking cauldron of his mind. I put the odds on truth vs dare at 20%, a bit more than my posts and persona, but I doubt there'll be any real BIG REVEAL, certainly about 'who', 'what' and 'where' his early incandescent offerings were forged.

People will be talking about how Penguin have made arses of themselves, but I doubt many will be reading the book to the end, beyond the inbred cult here, of course. If he could write prose, it would have been evident by now. He's a minor poet, and a magpie who cherry picked the great and the obscure. In other words, he's like any other remix cultural curator on a blog, youtube, or social media. It's all great fun, and he did it well with fonts and cover stars in an era when most people weren't hip to postmodernism, but anyone who imagines he's a "serious writer" is a cultural philistine. We shall soon know if Morrissey was the boy least likely to reveal his light hidden under a bushel, or just another cultural appropriating chancer who got lucky.

I'm sure most of the zombies wandering around Cheltenham will love it as he's a part of the scenery now. The only really scandalous thing he could do now is to tell the truth. But, like me, he won't. Maybe he, too, is leaving The Big Reveal for "Posthumous".

Make sure you all wear winter socks and have a flask of soup when waiting in line for midnight like Apple fan boys/girls. Same thing, really, delusional cult of personality. But Jobs actually did change the world for good or ill. Unlike Morrissey who was/is/always will be 'almost famous' but doesn't understand that Nick Drake will be remembered as long as the River Avon flows whilst Morrissey will be a laughing stock footnote. How the promising trip up whilst some big nose who knows....knows what? *thinking*...*amnesia* Sorry, never met the guy, can't remember any of his tunes, is he any good?

regards
"B.B"..allegedly..

http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-e...classics-sinks-in-the-ship-canal-8871847.html

Last edited:

*rollseyes* FFS! Talk about desperate attempt to save your sunk investment. People are *talking* about Miley Cyrus and Rihanna too, also face time attention whores who think they are "destabilizing" pop culture when it's their minds that are heading for the cliff.

I wonder how many books he's actually read from cover to cover rather than a critical synopsis. Anyone can pretend to be educated and well-read so long as they never submit to any probing interview other than through the fluffers at 80s NME.

No doubt most will apply the same time-saving logic to his forthcoming comedy classic. It will be *quite good* or so I hear on the grapevine, but a "Penguin Classic"? That brand is now firmly in the shitter, let's see if this booky-wookie gets flushed down the pan in a week as well. Frank Ocean has achieved more than Morrissey with a mix-tape and a CD. His blog and video are genuine Art not lumpen thud recycled Dad-rock riffs from the jurassic era.

Let's not forget that Ian McCullough debunking of the pretentious pseudy one:

"I thought he was very nice but I quickly learnt it was a (French word I can't translate "tocard"). At one point to display his literary skill he talked of a chassam (chasm). You only need to open a dictionary to know you don't pronounce it like that. Contrary to him I never read books, but I've known how to pronounce that word since I was six years old."

http://www.morrissey-solo.com/news/1999/243.shtml

Nothing wrong with being ill-prepared for the literary life becuz of my poor edukation, but there's more, much more since, up to the absolute car-crash press release statements of the last few years which I'm sure he doesn't intend as ironic pastiche of Jerry Sadowtiz in full flow.

Indeed, people are certainly talking about Miley Cyrus these days. She's perfectly in tune with her times: America is in a shambles, and we get the graceless, twerking pop star we deserve.

As to Morrissey's intellectual bona fides: that is a bit of a puzzle, I agree. You are obviously as obsessed as anyone else on this site - you can pick and choose the relevant quotes. I do recall one fairly recent story of a fan who encountered Morrissey in a VIP area at some big festival or other, and he testified that Morrissey had his nose deep in a book of Jazz poetry.

I believe that Morrissey read voraciously in his younger years - it comes naturally to the smart ones, and he's certainly an intelligent enough fellow. I disagree with you entirely on another point: not everyone can pretend to be educated and well-read (I'm in the media - believe me, I know). You have to have a certain amount of sophistication and character to pull that off and if you're fairly sophisticated, chances are you've read some decent books.

Morrissey's recent PR gaffes do point to a rather coarse and unsophisticated character. It's remarkably out of keeping with the man's image (and actual work). One cannot hide in an autobiography, though. Unless it's ghost written, we'll all have some answers soon enough.

People will be talking about how Penguin have made arses of themselves, but I doubt many will be reading the book to the end, beyond the inbred cult here, of course. If he could write prose, it would have been evident by now. He's a minor poet, and a magpie who cherry picked the great and the obscure. In other words, he's like any other remix cultural curator on a blog, youtube, or social meida. It's all great fun, and he did it well with fonts and cover stars in an era when most people weren't hip to postmodernism, but anyone who imagines he's a "serious writer" is a cultural philistine. We shall soon know if Morrissey was the boy least likely to reveal his light hidden under a bushel, or just another cultural appropriater chancer who got lucky.

He is a champion magpie, to be sure, but we all stand on the shoulders of giants (who said that? ;)). As for the dogged determination of so many posters here to denigrate his achievements: the man is one of the greatest lyricists in pop history, and pop is modern poetry. At his best he's a very serious artist. No one knows whether he's a serious writer or not. His one short story was meandering, overwritten and badly in need of editing, but not awful.

Is Morrissey a great pretender? We'll soon find out.

Just three sleeps left.

We all know of Morrissey's famous mispronunciations: the "annals" of history, which may or may not have been a bit of a piss-take, but it's more likely they're the hallmark of an autodidact--which he most certainly is. They indicate nothing about his actual intellectual abilities or accomplishments. He grew up in a vacuum. He is not the only one who did.

Again, if Penguin's editors did not feel his book was worthy, it would not be in print under their imprint. That's all you need to know.

Indeed, people are certainly talking about Miley Cyrus these days. She's perfectly in tune with her times: America is in a shambles, and we get the graceless, twerking pop star we deserve.

As to Morrissey's intellectual bona fides: that is a bit of a puzzle, I agree. You are obviously as obsessed as anyone else on this site - you can pick and choose the relevant quotes. I do recall one fairly recent story of a fan who encountered Morrissey in a VIP area at some big festival or other, and he testified that Morrissey had his nose deep in a book of Jazz poetry.

I believe that Morrissey read voraciously in his younger years - it comes naturally to the smart ones, and he's certainly an intelligent enough fellow. I disagree with you entirely on another point: not everyone can pretend to be educated and well-read (I'm in the media - believe me, I know). You have to have a certain amount of sophistication and character to pull that off and if you're fairly sophisticated, chances are you've read some decent books.

Morrissey's recent PR gaffes do point to a rather coarse and unsophisticated character. It's remarkably out of keeping with the man's image (and actual work). One cannot hide in an autobiography, though. Unless it's ghost written, we'll all have some answers soon enough.

He is a champion magpie, to be sure, but we all stand on the shoulders of giants (who said that? ;)). As for the dogged determination of so many posters here to denigrate his achievements: the man is one of the greatest lyricists in pop history, and pop is modern poetry. At his best he's a very serious artist. No one knows whether he's a serious writer or not. His one short story was meandering, overwritten and badly in need of editing, but not awful.

Is Morrissey a great pretender? We'll soon find out.
If I may add my penn'orth.
The problem with Morrissey, for me, is not when he's regarded as what he is, a Pop singer (and I do not mean that as denigration, there have been great pop stars).
He's been a great pop singer and I love the records.
It is when people start talking about him as some kind of icon and due the worshipful respect of us all.
Ofcourse these days, he hardly even a pop start which is a shame.
I'd buy a new album in a thrice (much quicker than a book).
Oh, and I must disagree about his lyrics being poetry.
They're not, they're song words.
Does anybody, even the fans here, actually sit down and read the lyrics as poetry?

He is a champion magpie, to be sure, but we all stand on the shoulders of giants (who said that? ;)

Ah. Probably some silly dude who never tried standing on the shoulders of dwarves, unaware you usually get a better view...

“I have a realistic grasp of my own strengths and weaknesses. My mind is my weapon. My brother has his sword, King Robert has his warhammer, and I have my mind… and a mind needs books as a sword needs a whetstone, if it is to keep its edge. That’s why I read so much, Jon Snow.”

;)

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom