Article: "Kit" (full version) and "It's Hard To Walk Tall When You're Small" (different version) - m

Thanks very much for these.

Moz was recording a lot of interesting stuff during that Maladjusted era. Kit certainly should have made it onto the album proper and it is interesting to hear the Cobrin version of It's Hard to Walk Tall. It would have been a much stronger b-side than This is Not Your Country.

Re: Here's the treats

Skinny and everybody else, thank you so much for these.

Considering both songs sound 'finished' or at least near completion, it makes me wonder why Morrissey chose to never release them. I've heard that he wasn't impressed with his 'Kit' vocals (I imagine this is the "plead, pray, beg, and call upon you part") but they aren't awful and surely could have been corrected with an extra take.

Does anyone know when 'Hard to walk tall' would have been recorded? I'm not totally au fait with the court case but I always heard this song as a jab at Joyce. Was the court case 'on the horizon' when the song was recorded? Either way, it's a beautiful version with a more ambiguous feel than the Ringleader b-side, which is a little to direct for me. 'Hey Ringo/gringo' is surely a bit of a swipe at someone.

Apologies, Quarry b-side!

Skinny and everybody else, thank you so much for these.

Considering both songs sound 'finished' or at least near completion, it makes me wonder why Morrissey chose to never release them. I've heard that he wasn't impressed with his 'Kit' vocals (I imagine this is the "plead, pray, beg, and call upon you part") but they aren't awful and surely could have been corrected with an extra take.

Does anyone know when 'Hard to walk tall' would have been recorded? I'm not totally au fait with the court case but I always heard this song as a jab at Joyce. Was the court case 'on the horizon' when the song was recorded? Either way, it's a beautiful version with a more ambiguous feel than the Ringleader b-side, which is a little to direct for me. 'Hey Ringo/gringo' is surely a bit of a swipe at someone.

The demo of It's Hard to Walk Tall was recorded in 1997 after the court case and was considered as a possible b-side for Satan Rejected my Soul. Spencer Cobrin wrote music and the ending does sound similar to Lost.

I listened to Maladjusted for the first time in an age a couple of weeks ago, and it reminded me of how good an album it is, especially in the context of what came after the so-called wilderness years. It is a misunderstood and often maligned album. Even the unreleased stuff is very, very strong.

Thank you, Peter, and everyone else sharing this stuff. It's incredible and we're eternally grateful

Hard to Walk takes on an entirely new and more serious feeling in this version. Thanks for uploading!

Just listened to all the 'new' finds and I am totally enjoying them.
Despite the entitlement issued types, critics, loons, mental health types, 'I hate him, but I visit daily' types.. Or the universal ignore types...
The bootleg/download section of this site works beautifully and is worth hanging around for.
Thank you and kudos to all being kind.
Also to Mr. Reynolds - as I completely shared your view prior to your leaving - I'm glad you returned. I'm pleased Peter came back off a long walk somewhere scenic... Skylarker continued to collate everything in such a perfectly ocd way and the unknown benefactors continue to avoid Christmas ghosts.
Yes, sycophantic slag I,
FWD

Never thought I would hear 'Kit'. I first read about it in 2001. Wow. Thanks!

Please forgive my ignorance but wasn't this version of Kit already floating around? Either way, I am truly appreciative of everyone's generousity. Thanks!

Please forgive my ignorance but wasn't this version of Kit already floating around? Either way, I am truly appreciative of everyone's generousity. Thanks!

this one is the full, pristine and unmuffled version of the previously released cut, low quality and muffled leak! :)

Thanks so much for the full Kit and Walk Tall...
Forgive me.. I must be over looking it, but what show was the new Smiths instrumental soundcheck recorded?

Thanks to all for the real gems that have been shared here.....hugely appreciated by so many!

Usually lurk, but felt the need to log in for the first time in years to say thanks
Same here! Thanks a lot to the people who made this possible. So long in the making.... Don't want to bash the Mozzer's output since 2004 but this is the real stuff. Nothing else! "Kit" has some superb "early Suede" tremolo aka whammy bar work on it. So glad to get the full idea of the song. "Small" may be "Lost" and it's a fantastic proof how strong all of this "class of 97" material still is. Hope the goldmine won't shut it's doors anytime soon.

Last edited:
Can someone please provide these as downloads. I cannot find any link from Soundcloud to download....thanks!

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom