Article: "The Smiths -- Complete" Super Deluxe Collectors Box from Rhino, limited to 3000 (estimated

Update (July 27, 9:10AM PT):
Link is back up with additional details and images. Info on the CD and vinyl boxsets have been posted also.

24563_large.jpg

The Smiths Complete (CD Boxset), Mon 26 Sep 2011 - £34.99
The Smiths Complete (Vinyl Boxset), Mon 03 Oct 2011 - £149.99

Update (July 27, 7:35AM PT):
As noted by several in the comments section, the links to the item have been removed from the Rhino site.

Sorry if this has been talked about/posted already. I received this little nugget today from a friend, looks very interesting, but the price (£249) scares me away:

http://www.rhino.co.uk/thesmithscomplete.htm

thesmithsrhinosplashpage.jpg

Also listed in the ad are vinyl boxsets (limited to 1000) and CD boxsets

Link posted by The Seeker of Good Songs (original post):
‘The Smiths — Complete’ box set: 8 albums on vinyl, CD; plus 25 7-inch singles, DVD - Slicing Up Eyeballs

Last edited by a moderator:
I agree with you about the remastering. I have to admit the original CDs are a bit tinny, at least the Sires in the US are. They should really remix the Smiths catalog in 5.1 for blu-ray. You could then release it with both the original mix and new surround sound mix in DTS HD Master Audio. Maybe test the water with The Queen is Dead at some point. Reissuing it on LPs and MP3s is a moot point now. I'm more interested in having the material in the best possible quality.

Some of us are old enough to remember the advertising campaign for the original Warner Brothers releases in the early 90's. Remember the slogan for the 10 inch vinyl releases in the NME? "The last time Smiths albums will ever be released on vinyl"

What a con.

:mad:

She's so fine. She creates her own rules. She is never in the mood for compromise. She would absolutely shun fame. THINKS THE SMITHS ARE COMPLETELY OBNOXIOUS. My sister. Broke the mould when they made her.f*** you-who think you can tame her. She sees clearly, nakedly, magically.Unconnected to Morrissey/Marr. Get the message- there's no love story with you two f***ing pricks.She is always a mess. She is completely lovely. I love her dearly.

Re: Article: "The Smiths -- Complete" Super Deluxe Collectors Box from Rhino, limited

She's so fine. She creates her own rules. She is never in the mood for compromise. She would absolutely shun fame. THINKS THE SMITHS ARE COMPLETELY OBNOXIOUS. My sister. Broke the mould when they made her.f*** you-who think you can tame her. She sees clearly, nakedly, magically.Unconnected to Morrissey/Marr. Get the message- there's no love story with you two f***ing pricks.She is always a mess. She is completely lovely. I love her dearly.
your sister sounds erm interesting...maybe start talking through yourself though!

Holy crap at the cost............ seriously? And not a single thing new other than the "remaster".

Re: Article: "The Smiths -- Complete" Super Deluxe Collectors Box from Rhino, limited

you don't actually have a sister. do you?

http://www.artrocker.tv/news/article/johnny-marr-remasters-the-smiths-catalogue

Eight albums by The Smiths have been remastered by guitarist Johnny Marr and are set for release on 26 September, as a package called Complete.

The collection includes all four of the band's studio albums – The Smiths (1984), Meat Is Murder (1985), The Queen Is Dead (1986), Strangeways, Here We Come (1987) and their sole live album Rank (1988) as well as the compilations Hatful Of Hollow (1984), The World Won’t Listen (1987) and Louder Than Bombs (1987).

Thus spoke Johnny Marr: "I'm very happy that the remastered versions of The Smiths albums are finally coming out. I wanted to get them sounding right and remove any processing so that they now sound as they did when they were originally made. I'm pleased with the results.”

what we need is the CD-singles 12" box 2
(they only released the first 10 on the first CD-singles box)

Just had a look on Amazon - £318.99.
Got all the albums and singles on vinyl anyway , all original releases , so........thanks very much but i'm out !

Thus spoke Johnny Marr: "I'm very happy that the remastered versions of The Smiths albums are finally coming out. I wanted to get them sounding right and remove any processing so that they now sound as they did when they were originally made. I'm pleased with the results.”

It's great that Johnny is enthused about this project but I'd feel much better had he let an experienced and respected sound engineer take sole responsibility of the remastering. Someone like Bob Ludwig or Doug Sax could really make these songs sing and give them the treatment they so rightfully deserve. Besides, I'm not a fan of any musician "remastering" or remixing their own music when they get older because their hearing is mostly shot from years and years of live playing. Just look at the Cure's shitty "Entreat Plus" 2009 remaster for that.

Reissuing it on LPs and MP3s is a moot point now. I'm more interested in having the material in the best possible quality.

Alot of people still only listen to cds. More than those that listen to Blue Rays, LPs, DVD-A's, SACDs, etc.

Alot of people still only listen to cds. More than those that listen to Blue Rays, LPs, DVD-A's, SACDs, etc.

A LOT of people listen to their iPods & laptops, not CDs. Nobody wants CDs anymore. And I'm not talking about SACD & DVDA, Blu Ray and DVD is where the biggest market (people who still buy physical product) is or will be in a year or so.

poor people really bother me wheter they are for Norway or NOT

Guys,

THE SMITHS COMPLETE (CD BOXSET)
- 8 x CD albums (Mini vinyl LP replicas)
- All albums newly remastered for 2011 by Johnny Marr
- Housed in a clamshell box
- New Liner notes
£34.99.

THE SMITHS COMPLETE (VINYL BOXSET)
- 8 x Vinyl LP (5 singles, 3 doubles)
- 12" booklet feat. expanded liner notesr
- 36" x 24" Poster of cover artwork
£ 149.00

in case you want to buy just cd or just vinyl sets, unless of course you want the whole set for £ 249.00.
it says it at the bottom but i don't think many people are seeing that. if i had the money, i'd buy all 3 sets, just for my collection.....but that's just me....maybe.

£222.61 now on Amazon with free delivery. Worth noting that Amazon always sell at the lowest pre order price from the date you order it so this could go up or hopefully down even more.

Insanely expensive and redundant. Johnny Marr must be an egomaniac.

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom