Article: Universal says ‘no comment’ on claims Morrissey has been dropped; Warner/Chappell still pub

Universal says ‘no comment’ on claims Morrissey has been dropped by Andy Malt - Complete Music Update

Universal has declined to comment on claims made by Morrissey’s True To You fansite that the singer has been dropped by the Harvest imprint of the mega-major’s Capitol division.

It was widely reported over the weekend that the label had dropped Morrissey just three weeks after the release of his latest album, ‘World Peace Is None Of Your Business’. The news was based on claims made by his True To You fansite, which said on Saturday: “Three weeks after the release of Morrissey’s ‘World Peace Is None Of Your Business’ (#2 UK, #14 US), Capitol Records/Harvest have ended their relationship with Morrissey, as directed by label boss Steve Barnett. Morrissey is once again in search of a record label”.

The ‘dropped by Harvest’ claim followed mild criticism of the label by Morrissey for not producing a decent video for the album’s title track, while at the same time praising DIY efforts made by fans. Though if mild label-dissing was a reason for dropping artists, there wouldn’t be many still with record deals.

In June this year, True To You published a similar article to its latest claims, saying that Morrissey had ended his 30 year partnerships with Warner/Chappell and was seeking a new publishing deal.

At the time, Warner/Chappell also told CMU that it would not usually comment on such claims. However, given how widely they had been reported, a spokesperson did confirm that Warner/Chappell remains the publisher for Morrissey’s Smiths and solo songs, including his latest album.

Related items:

Last edited by a moderator:
Re: Article: Universal says ‘no comment’ on claims Morrissey has been dropped; Warner/Chappell still

I also heard the snippet on NPR. They talked more about how Harvest used to have a cohesive aesthetic in the sixties/seventies with Pink Floyd and Robert Wyatt, and how labels are trying that tact again. Funny thing is, I've seen the Harvest roster, and the only other band I know is Death Grips, who really couldn't be further away from what Moz does. Try 4AD in the 80's or Captured Tracks now if that appeals to you, but I don't know what Harvest is going on about!?!

I love all the bands you list, but I don't think that most of them are active. Ocean Blue is recording for Shelflife Records these days though (with a new EP out soon). They have a solid indie-pop roster - you should 'em it out!

Now that you mention it, I'd love to see Morrissey sign to 4AD, a label that has really resurrected itself in the last few years. That might seem smaller-scale than Morrissey would like, but it actually is appropriate for both his level of commercial success and his artistic sensibilities. An indie label would likely be much more supportive of him as an artist, and his sales figures would be impressive rather than disappointing in that context. Morrissey is not a mainstream pop/rock star in this country - sizable and loyal fan following aside, he is not and will never be such. As long as he and others continue to judge his work against a standard (mainstream music industry success) that is arguably not the right or appropriate one for an artist like Morrissey, then we will continue to see label woes such as this one (and really, the past 15 years have been almost nothing but label woes).

You'd think he would have figured this out by now. He keeps having these problems because he's trying to work within a mainstream music industry that is never going to value him according to its own standards. He should sign to one of the larger indies (such as 4AD) and realize that the indie world, rather than the mainstream Bieber/Perry/Beyonce pop world, is where he belongs.

Marred, Orson, Irish, and others are the antithesis of what Morrissey fans used to be. It's very sad to see, as Morrissey stumbles from one poor decision to another...

http://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/...hard-home-searched-police-sexual-abuse-claims

..., they are too busy running around with their fingers in their ears pretending it isn't happening.

Hmmm. That's given me an idea. Perhaps if I listened to World Peace again with my fingers in my ears it might sound better.

Re: Article: Universal says ‘no comment’ on claims Morrissey has been dropped; Warner/Chappell still

Is it just me or does anyone else see the irony of the name Harvest for this record company? They've planted a seed in crap soil and left it to fend for itself against the elements.

Their business model is absolute crop!

He's unlucky with record companies, isn't he? From Rough Trade to Harvest, almost every one has let him down.

Well at least Morrissey hasn't been accused of being a paedo.

Marred, Orson, Irish, and others are the antithesis of what Morrissey fans used to be. It's very sad to see, as Morrissey stumbles from one poor decision to another...

http://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/...hard-home-searched-police-sexual-abuse-claims

..., they are too busy running around with their fingers in their ears pretending it isn't happening.

Hmmm. That's given me an idea. Perhaps if I listened to World Peace again with my fingers in my ears it might sound better.

I find it fascinating that people feel that the $10 dollars they spend on Morrissey's cd/download entitles them to critique Morrissey's career and personal life.

It's Morrissey's life to ruin as he pleases.

The site has to many people who think they're sooo clever that they know what's best for Morrissey.

It's not that we have our fingers in our ears it's that we are adults and take what Morrissey says as entertainment. We also know that if we no longer enjoy him or his music we don't have to listen or follow him. We at least have an excuse of why we are here on this site, because we enjoy him as an artist. Whereas people like you are pathetic because you don't like him yet you continue to hang out on this site. Get a life, hobby or go give your boyfriend a blow job, but for what ever little dignity you have left go away!

I find it fascinating that people feel that the $10 dollars they spend on Morrissey's cd/download entitles them to critique Morrissey's career and personal life.

The site has to many people who think they're sooo clever that they know what's best for Morrissey.

It's not that we have our fingers in our ears it's that we are adults and take what Morrissey says as entertainment. We also know that if we no longer enjoy him or his music we don't have to listen or follow him. We at least have an excuse of why we are here on this site, because we enjoy him as an artist. Whereas people like you are pathetic because you don't like him yet you continue to hang out on this site. Get a life, hobby or go give your boyfriend a blow job, but for what ever little dignity you have left go away!

Awww. You're just upset you didn't get a mention because I've never heard of you.

Unless you are even stupider than you seem - yeah, I know - people have been discussing the merits of art since the first cave paintings were daubed by early hominids almost as hairy as your mother.

Your efforts to turn this place into a mouthpiece for your Lord and Master seem to be foundering. Perhaps it is you who should find somewhere else to kiss his increasingly voluminous arse.

Last edited:

Am I understanding your postion correctly?
You find it fascinating that people think they have a right to criticise a pop singer and his work?
Please tell me I've got it wrong otherwise tell me about your life in North Korea.

Last edited:

Awww. You're just upset you didn't get a mention because I've never heard of you.

Unless you are even stupider than you seem - yeah, I know - people have been discussing the merits of art since the first cave paintings were daubed by early hominids almost as hairy as your mother.

Your efforts to turn this place into a mouthpiece for your Lord and Master seem to be foundering. Perhaps it is you who should find somewhere else to kiss his increasingly voluminous arse.

Perhaps you should start your own site to save the world from Morrissey, Oh-Chosen-One.

Poor barleycorn, still living in the past, still wishing it was 1982, its quite sad really,he's to be pitied not hated

Seriously , you really think Morrissey has been dropped because of a few comments?

World peace Is a piece of shit. There are two songs which are remotely good but that's the form these days. I'm glad I haven't bought it and my god only 28 people have bothered even recording a comment on YouTube where you can listen to it for free.

Morrissey really had the chance to refresh with new accomplished musicians and songwriters but no , he sticks with this bunch of ham fisted pile of crap......surely he can't be shocked to learn he's been dropped? If so , he's living in cuckoo land.

The only option for him now is to go down the DIY route and sell via his own Webstore/website.......if he has that much confidence in his own material Is he willing to stump up his own cash for production , promos etc. he has his management to send out promos to radio stations and even they have stopped playing his stuff.

I said it some time ago , enjoy these albums because they will be the last.

Disappointed.

The only option for him now is to go down the DIY route and sell via his own Webstore/website.......if he has that much confidence in his own material Is he willing to stump up his own cash for production , promos etc. he has his management to send out promos to radio stations and even they have stopped playing his stuff.
Disappointed.

Every time it's come up in the past, he said he has no interest in the DIY route. Wonder if he's more open to it now? If he could get over this obsession with chart positions, it really could be an empowering option for him. However, it does remove a huge layer of accountability on his end. The buck would stop with him and there's no finger pointing.

I can't help but think that it is "fans" like you, Irish, and Orson who have been in some small way instrumental in Morrissey latest disaster and the years of refuse he has been producing.

He has no career. It is in tatters. He might find a promoter willing to put up with his latest bullshit and let him back on the tofu in a basket greatest hits tour, but keep pretending everything in the garden is rosy, please.

Meanwhile World Peace has fallen out of the top ten and off the radar in a month, and sold 58,000 worldwide where his previous album sold that in the UK alone.

If that's success what do you cretins think constitutes a disaster?

With due respect, you lose all credibility when you compare album sales. The music industry in 2009 v. today is pretty much nite & day, so while your diagnosis of Moz's career has some merit, resting it on sales figures, in an era where there's pretty much no record stores anymore, makes it lose all focus.

Seriously , you really think Morrissey has been dropped because of a few comments?

World peace Is a piece of shit. There are two songs which are remotely good but that's the form these days. I'm glad I haven't bought it and my god only 28 people have bothered even recording a comment on YouTube where you can listen to it for free.

Morrissey really had the chance to refresh with new accomplished musicians and songwriters but no , he sticks with this bunch of ham fisted pile of crap......surely he can't be shocked to learn he's been dropped? If so , he's living in cuckoo land.

Disappointed.

Easy on the opinion as stated fact. At least half the reviews of this record call it a banger, & I've seen a veritable ton of positive notices from fans. And unless Morrissey is an out & out liar, he said Barnett, Capitol record chief himself, said he loved the record (if Moz misquoted him about this & Barnett actually hates it, well, hello dropped-from-label).

So your position is Morrissey was dropped because of a poor album. This is almost demonstrably false---he could be dropped for a poor chart showing, which again, #14 (when his previous high was #11) & #2 in the UK = "we're happy we have a high profile artist in our fold". No, something happened, as we all know Moz is about as irascible as it gets.

And I'm almost sure record labels still fund projects on a loan basis---i.e., Morrissey & crew won't see any profits till Harvest/Capitol makes their bank back. So yeah, the answer does seem to be, fund it yourself, Moz---& avoid any rancor & travails.

Every time it's come up in the past, he said he has no interest in the DIY route. Wonder if he's more open to it now? If he could get over this obsession with chart positions, it really could be an empowering option for him. However, it does remove a huge layer of accountability on his end. The buck would stop with him and there's no finger pointing.

Honestly , I think this is the only option for him now. I just don't see any other avenue for him , for christs sake he has just been dropped by a small record company when he had no deal for 5 years.

Not wanting to return to the good old days , but for gods sake consider Steve lillywhite or Steven street to producer or even promote boz to production duties and get a new 3 piece band. Grab hold of the artwork , I mean , swords , maladjusted and world peace sleeves are shocking. I've seen some cracking sleeves done by fans which knock the official covers into fits......here's a thought , why not get fans to submit their sleeve designs?

I don't know , it's like he just doesn't care anymore but being a multi millionaire do you need to care?

Last edited:

Easy on the opinion as stated fact. At least half the reviews of this record call it a banger, & I've seen a veritable ton of positive notices from fans. And unless Morrissey is an out & out liar, he said Barnett, Capitol record chief himself, said he loved the record (if Moz misquoted him about this & Barnett actually hates it, well, hello dropped-from-label).

So your position is Morrissey was dropped because of a poor album. This is almost demonstrably false---he could be dropped for a poor chart showing, which again, #14 (when his previous high was #11) & #2 in the UK = "we're happy we have a high profile artist in our fold". No, something happened, as we all know Moz is about as irascible as it gets.

And I'm almost sure record labels still fund projects on a loan basis---i.e., Morrissey & crew won't see any profits till Harvest/Capitol makes their bank back. So yeah, the answer does seem to be, fund it yourself, Moz---& avoid any rancor & travails.

Ok well consider this. We have been waiting 5 years for a new album etc so the expectation and frothing at the mouth will be quite evident don't you think?

I would love to see the album sales figures for this record after people have taken it home and listened to it a few times then realised , that this is the best his band can come up with during a 5 year hiatus? Opinion quickly spreads about how good this album is and I'll bet everything I own that the sales of the album have plummeted faster than anyone predicted and that's why harvest have dropped him.

Of course this is only my opinion.

Every time it's come up in the past, he said he has no interest in the DIY route. Wonder if he's more open to it now? If he could get over this obsession with chart positions, it really could be an empowering option for him.

Sadly, 'Autobiography' shows he is still totally obsessed with chart position. I wish he could get over it, and just be happy putting out great albums because they are great works of art in their own right. He doesn't need the money. He doesn't need acclaim from the mindless masses, or applause and adulation from the tweens who are responsible for most of the chart sales. It's like he is constantly seeking this chart/mainstream approval that he is never going to get. Get over it Morrissey. Just be happy with who you are.

Disappointed.

To call it a piece of a shit is a bit too much, dont you think so? Yes , I do enjoy some of the songs more than others but...this happens with every single Album , I suppose....

Cheers Moz

To call it a piece of a shit is a bit too much, dont you think so? Yes , I do enjoy some of the songs more than others but...this happens with every single Album , I suppose....

Cheers Moz

Bud , I think some people are listening to this album through rose tinted ear pieces and I assume it is because we have had to endure another 5 year gap between albums and people were desperate and went with the flow.

This album is bad , very very poor. I have been a fan for far too many years ( yes I am that old ) and I think that gives me permission to comment and compare.

This is the best this 'band' of his can come up with during this 5 year period? Then that should be the warning signal.

What on earth was he thinking by dropping Alain. My god , he was the closest thing to johnny marr he will ever have. Alain came up with some of the best created songs I've ever heard.....yes , even better than johnny on some occasions....pigsty for instance.

Last edited:

I'll do the same with your posts but with a blindfold. Thanks for the tip :)

always entertaining corn.

Last edited:

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom