"Autobiography" by Morrissey released (Oct 17, 2013 - UK and Europe)

Autobiography by Morrissey is out now in the UK and Europe on Penguin Classics.

Reviews:

autobiographymorrissey_lrg.jpg

Last edited:
I still believe, despite evidence to the contrary, that this is all some elaborate hoax.

Re: Article: "Autobiography" by Morrissey released (Oct 17, 2013 - UK and Europe)

The difference being he actually had talent which rescued him., whereas I am forever going to be stuck in this awful f***ing rut.

It gets easier. Stick with it.

- - - Updated - - -

His writing style reminds me of Anais Nin if she had a dark sense of humor. Maybe Anais Nin and Kurt Vonnegut's lovechild.

His style is certainly a lot nicer than he himself appears to be.

150 pages in. God damn, it's making me feeling f***ing depressed. Morrissey's music, contrary to popular opinion, actually makes me happy. But this book is making me really sad. I think it's because his early twenties sound exactly my life now. The difference being he actually had talent which rescued him., whereas I am forever going to be stuck in this awful f***ing rut.

Things will change. Hang in there x

Re: Article: "Autobiography" by Morrissey released (Oct 17, 2013 - UK and Europe)

Was it the prevailing opinion? My memory is foggy.
I do remember thinking it ridiculous that some believed that Two Jakes (pun intended) entered and exited Morrissey's life during the exact same period. And I guess they thought Jake Owen was taking the amateur pics (e.g. Now My Heart is Full cover, or mirror shots where they appear together) while Walters was taking the "professional" shots?

There is an anecdote in the autobiog where Jake flattens a mugger in L.A., so I guess he could handle himself.

- - - Updated - - -

Was it the prevailing opinion? My memory is foggy.
I do remember thinking it ridiculous that some believed that Two Jakes (pun intended) entered and exited Morrissey's life during the exact same period. And I guess they thought Jake Owen was taking the amateur pics (e.g. Now My Heart is Full cover, or mirror shots where they appear together) while Walters was taking the "professional" shots?

There is an anecdote in the autobiog where Jake flattens a mugger in L.A., so I guess he could handle himself.

I think that was part of the reasoning for why they were two people--no self-respecting professional photographer would take amateur photos like that. It doesn't help that the amateur ones were just credited to "Jake" and the more professional ones "Jake Walters"--which people took as further proof they were two people because no professional photographer would credit his photos merely "Jake." I guess that was really a stretch looking back on it, but to be honest while I was never sure of the whole thing I was somewhat persuaded by the two Jakes theory--though in hind sight it was pretty stupid. What can I say--I just assumed people who knew more about this subject than I did knew what they were talking about.

I take it there is no mention Peter Hogg in the book is there?

Meh. Much like all the other reviews they agree the first 150 pages is quite excellent. The reviewer lets the stuff about the court case and complaints about Rough Trade ruin the whole book in his mind. He also seems rather disgruntled about it's Penguin Classic status with constant melodramatic assertions that the entire Penguin brand is now ruined.

We already know that all the responses on this site will be variations on one of the following (in fact, I reckon a large number of people who post will have decided which of these approaches they're going to take even before they've read the book):

This ended with an adorable twist, was a tad angry in the beginning, are you softening up?

Meh. Much like all the other reviews they agree the first 150 pages is quite excellent. The reviewer lets the stuff about the court case and complaints about Rough Trade ruin the whole book in his mind. He also seems rather disgruntled about it's Penguin Classic status with constant melodramatic assertions that the entire Penguin brand is now ruined.

Check out the idiotic comments under the article. Imbeciles.

Page 390

"Departed guitarist Alain had curdled somewhat prior to YATQ when a legal letter arrived demanding that Alain's face appear on the cover artwork of the new - and every future - Morrissey album. Well, no......His lawyers also demanded that Alain be given the right to publish his own book detailing his life with Morrissey."

I find the first assertion to be laughably fanciful. Why, then, would he be asked back to contribute songs and play on ROTT and contribute songs to YOR? The second seems unlikely but it least somewhat passes the smell test.

(In the style of my mom.)

So...what does he say about that Kristeen Young? :p

I'm smug in my rightness now, but I very well may have wavered at the time (I'd have to check the archives). Generally I'm an Occam's razor user, though.

I joked in another thread that Hogg is one of the missing names in the book (along with the likes of Vini Reilly and Dean Butterworth).

I think that was part of the reasoning for why they were two people--no self-respecting professional photographer would take amateur photos like that. It doesn't help that the amateur ones were just credited to "Jake" and the more professional ones "Jake Walters"--which people took as further proof they were two people because no professional photographer would credit his photos merely "Jake." I guess that was really a stretch looking back on it, but to be honest while I was never sure of the whole thing I was somewhat persuaded by the two Jakes theory--though in hind sight it was pretty stupid. What can I say--I just assumed people who knew more about this subject than I did knew what they were talking about.

I take it there is no mention Peter Hogg in the book is there?

Figured Australia still wouldn't have caught up to the rest of the world, can't find a single bookshop in Melbourne that is stocking the book. Looks like it's time to order in!

No deals for publication have been made outside of Europe, remember? It's not Australia failing to catch up, but being barred from entering the race until a later date.

It was late yesterday afternoon when I got the chance to grab a copy, I first went in Waterstones in the Arndale to be told by a very nice man "Sorry, it sold out in minutes and the Deansgate shop have sold out too" :eek:

Decided to chance WHSmith, which to my relief there it was sitting on the shelves and for a knock down price of £4.49! thats a complete steal.

Just want Morrissey in Manchester to sign it now. Its got to happen, surely. Its where it all started. Just not next weekend though, as I have a date with Bryan Ferry at the Lowry :D

amazon germany told me the book will be delivered between december-january...what the f...
i thought he had a european deal? anybody from europe esp germany encounters the same problems?
i first pre- ordered it at a tiny bookstore,,,as they told me today its coming next week prob. so i canceled it.
i don think the tiny bookstore will be getting it next week and amazon in a couple of months?

C G - he says about KY what he's always said about her. You are nasty.

HTML:
So far I'm loving it.

The opening section about his childhood is beautifully written, I did not expect anything less. The imagery is so clear, I feel as though I am almost there.
His mentions of "Nannie" and frequent descriptions of Jackie are very interesting. I love hearing about his family and seeing the photographs! His mother looks very glam!

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom