"Back On The Chain Gang" official video via Rolling Stone interview

Morrissey Covers the Pretenders’ ‘Back on the Chain Gang,’ Talks ‘Pop Classic’ - Rolling Stone
“It’s a pop classic,” singer says. “Of the brain as well as the loins”
By Kory Grow

Excerpt:

"When Morrissey decided to cover the Pretenders’ “Back on the Chain Gang” for an upcoming double-vinyl reissue of his Low in High School album, he wanted to play it loose with the lyrics. “I didn’t ever see the lyrics correctly printed because I wanted to sing them as I had always thought they were,” he tells Rolling Stone via e-mail. “This is tricky with [Pretenders singer] Chrissie [Hynde] because sometimes she’ll sing into a misty wobble. So, I decided to wobble also.”

Other than a few switched-up words, though, it’s mostly a reverent cover. He croons Hynde’s lyrics, wobbling his voice, along with a jangly guitar line that sounds like a mix of his solo music and the Pretenders. He recorded it this past April at Sunset Sound in Los Angeles. The song will also be available as a 45 with cover art, out November 23rd, which features Gilbert O’Sullivan’s “I Didn’t Know What to Do” on the flip side. Morrissey proudly points out the single sleeve features writer and feminist Germaine Greer, with the expanded LP out December 7th."

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/...etenders-back-on-the-chain-gang-cover-748605/

Studio & video versions are different to the live arrangements.
Moz on guitar!
Rolling Stone got the scoop, then linked to by 'Official' with the pre-order advert for the deluxe:

MP3:
https://www.sendspace.com/file/pkc1ce

Regards,
FWD.

Related item:

Last edited:
Moz's vocal sounds pretty good but I don't like the arrangement - the guitar work sounds off/flat in places. Nice go-go girls anyway...

brett who? neil who? oh, moz, you're the only one who can relieve me of my tortures over those dreamy suede boys. the ONLY one. die einzige endlich.

bravo, moz!! love it!

I wonder if Morrissey playing guitar is a jokey reference to/inversion of Johnny singing.
I thought the same thing. I think Johnny is a decent singer. I doubt Morrissey thinks JM is terrible at it so if it is in fact a playful reference to Johnny it's my opinion it's a positive one.

I thought the same thing. I think Johnny is a decent singer. I doubt Morrissey thinks JM is terrible at it so if it is in fact a playful reference to Johnny it's my opinion it's a positive one.

If he really wanted to be a bastard, he should've released this on Johnny's birthday yesterday :lbf:

"...a dramatically lighted backdrop of Morrissey posters..."

Have all of those been available? I don't recognize some of the images.

The rhythm guitar is love for Chrissy. Morrissey has no messages for Johnny. Sadly. Sorry Johnny.

I wonder if Morrissey playing guitar is a jokey reference to/inversion of Johnny singing.

Nah, he’s playing the guitar to show that there’s
nothing wrong with playing the guitar, that one shouldn’t be embarrassed if that’s all one can do. It’s like when he wore the hearing aid on tv
to show people that there’s no shame in having to wear a hearing aid.

;) :)

Forgot to add: the lack of Solomon Walker & Roger Manning in the video is a respectful nod to the missing band members perhaps?

Were Manning and Walker there for the April session or for the California Son sessions? I don't remember.

Nah, he’s playing the guitar to show that there’s
nothing wrong with playing the guitar, that one shouldn’t be embarrassed if that’s all one can do. It’s like when he wore the hearing aid on tv
to show people that there’s no shame in having to wear a hearing aid.

;) :)
It was in fact a gesture to a boy who wrote him a letter about being bullied at school for wearing a hearing aid.

I saw many of you saying that Moz on guitar could maybe something to do with Johnny and some you saying that him on guitar could not be more wrong. Well, my humble opinion is that the fact he is holding a guitar and PRETENDING he is playing it has to do with Chrissie Hynde that also plays guitar and sings on Pretenders, so it is like him "impersonating" Chrissie... simple like that.

I’m sure it’s been mentioned but I haven’t read through the comments entirely, the back vocal that says ‘chain gang’ in an odd voice at the end of Moz singing ‘....back on the chain gang’ - just why?! Ruins it slightly for me, and as someone else said, shame there’s not the ‘uhh ahh’ as with the original. It’s near identical musically to the original, so maybe that’s all a half hearted attempt at making it his own? Having said that, I will listen and watch another 10 times at which point I will love the recording, and pre order multiple copies. God I f***ing love Morrissey. #vivamoz

Just shows what Moz can do when he has a good song. He looks great. His voice is great. And he fake plays guitar better than his band does.
He needs to move on and get a new band. They've made some great music together but its now or never. I assume it will be never.
So where is Boz?

Tags
back on the chain gang single

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom