"Back On The Chain Gang" official video via Rolling Stone interview

Morrissey Covers the Pretenders’ ‘Back on the Chain Gang,’ Talks ‘Pop Classic’ - Rolling Stone
“It’s a pop classic,” singer says. “Of the brain as well as the loins”
By Kory Grow

Excerpt:

"When Morrissey decided to cover the Pretenders’ “Back on the Chain Gang” for an upcoming double-vinyl reissue of his Low in High School album, he wanted to play it loose with the lyrics. “I didn’t ever see the lyrics correctly printed because I wanted to sing them as I had always thought they were,” he tells Rolling Stone via e-mail. “This is tricky with [Pretenders singer] Chrissie [Hynde] because sometimes she’ll sing into a misty wobble. So, I decided to wobble also.”

Other than a few switched-up words, though, it’s mostly a reverent cover. He croons Hynde’s lyrics, wobbling his voice, along with a jangly guitar line that sounds like a mix of his solo music and the Pretenders. He recorded it this past April at Sunset Sound in Los Angeles. The song will also be available as a 45 with cover art, out November 23rd, which features Gilbert O’Sullivan’s “I Didn’t Know What to Do” on the flip side. Morrissey proudly points out the single sleeve features writer and feminist Germaine Greer, with the expanded LP out December 7th."

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/...etenders-back-on-the-chain-gang-cover-748605/

Studio & video versions are different to the live arrangements.
Moz on guitar!
Rolling Stone got the scoop, then linked to by 'Official' with the pre-order advert for the deluxe:

MP3:
https://www.sendspace.com/file/pkc1ce

Regards,
FWD.

Related item:

Last edited:
Neither am I yet I know you goofy canuck :lbf:
well I know now that you forced me to think about it! it didn't occur to me that you wouldn't just say dollar shop. a pound shop could be anything! an animal shelter, a massage therapist...

now, why don't you make yourself useful and go vote in my IMPORTANT poll?

well I know now that you forced me to think about it! it didn't occur to me that you wouldn't just say dollar shop. a pound shop could be anything! an animal shelter, a massage therapist...

now, why don't you make yourself useful and go vote in my IMPORTANT poll?
Ummmm. ......... no.

Not sure I’ll be buying a record with *Quote* ‘A woman of taste is a pederast – boys rather than men’ Germaine Greer!

Why do people keep calling the girls bimbos. They seem to be fully dressed and aren't dancing very suggestively

it's just a click of the finger, darling! it's as easy as rating your posts 'troll', which is very VERY easy.
I'm afraid my fingers aren't as dexterous as they used to be ;-)

I love his version of this song. The video is quite egocentric and narcissist with of those posters of himself in the background. No surprise! Ha ha! The fake guitar playing by Morrissey brings some sense of humour to it. However, I can't stand the silly models dancing to the song (as I didn't stand the ones dancing to Spent The Day In Bed). Hideous!

I'm down with the sexy dancing go-go girls. Personally I think Morrissey should bring some of these hot chicks on tour, so they can stand at the side of the stage and suggestively gyrate to the strains of 'Everyday is Like Sunday' etc.

Hell, they might even be able to sex up 'Meat is Murder' a bit.

I love the video. He's obviously not playing but it was great to see him with a guitar, very funny, very cool too.
The cover sound really good, especially the last part.

I was kind of expecting to see Solomon in the video - but then, this sort of hearkens back to crediting Boz et al on the "My Love Life" single when they didn't really play on it. I certainly would've been surprised to see Roger Manning - perhaps Mikey, if M really wanted to include a keyboardist in the vid.

And the video for "My Love Life", where he pretended to drive a car!

I'm afraid my fingers aren't as dexterous as they used to be ;-)
Tonight on Police Ten 7 Bhops gets entangled with a canadian woman and the police are unable to do anything about it.

listening to it as the logical continuation of spent the day in bed. plus, morrissey looks very marriageable in this video :love: so my heart is beating in unison with the drums ...

Last edited by a moderator:
nothing could make us part moz, dont you worry about that. not even neil codlings cheekbones could come between us. and they're razor sharp, there isn't a lot they couldn't get between. you could probably open a letter with them. still you're the one for me mozzie bear. just thought you ought to know <3

In a family pub and there is a brat dancing to whatever comes on. She did well dancing to my Morrissey. Obviously she's too young to know what the lyrics mean. Bit sad about Nags Head. Rang him earlier, they renounced the licence for no reason. I told Tony how I felt a bit let down. He said he didn't know who I was and then I mentioned the falling over and he knew me straight away. I suppose it's a sense of freedom when people know you from your actions rather than how you look? Or am I making excuses.

Tags
back on the chain gang single

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom