BBC North West ''Inside Out'' - 9-minute feature on Morrissey fan culture (Nov. 19, 7.30pm)

Re: Article: BBC North West ''Inside Out'' - 9-minute feature on Morrissey fan cultur

Thank you for posting. Nice to see a range of age groups at that gig. I did think that American girl at 3.32 was rather cute. It's also good to see that that horrible green fence has been partly removed around the Salford Lads Club. When I went there it was across the front entrance. Ruined the photo somewhat.

When there is an event on, they open the gates fully. Otherwise, it's locked for a good reason!

Re: Article: BBC North West ''Inside Out'' - 9-minute feature on Morrissey fan cultur

I'm confused. Where is all the usual bitching about the 'fan elite'?

I'm confused. Where is all the usual bitching about the 'fan elite'?

Not really concerned with the 'fan elite', but I think TV segments like this parade Morrissey fans around like 21st Century freak shows. It's "Take a look at these nutters!" glossed over with a pretence of seriousness. Can anyone genuinely watch grown adults still dressing up like 1984-Morrissey and not cringe? Or watch a man who is almost 40 salivating over a shirt? The Beeb are just laughing at them and embarrassing the rest of us.

Last edited:

Hi Amy

I was the film editor on this piece. I can't speak for 'the Beeb', but both myself and the producer are huge Morrissey fans and it was not our intention to create a freak show.

We were trying to show how Morrissey can inspire an incredible level of fan worship, which does include tattoos, shirt-ripping and giving up of jobs to follow him around the world.
The fans we interviewed were honest, candid and very open about the extent of their obsession and we are grateful for their contribution.

I'm really pleased that Morrissey continues to inspire some people in this way - I'm sure Chris Rea, for example, doesn't. Of course, Morrissey can't choose his fans or their level of fandom. And neither can other fans, regardless of how embarrassed they may feel.

Hi Amy

I was the film editor on this piece. I can't speak for 'the Beeb', but both myself and the producer are huge Morrissey fans and it was not our intention to create a freak show.

We were trying to show how Morrissey can inspire an incredible level of fan worship, which does include tattoos, shirt-ripping and giving up of jobs to follow him around the world.
The fans we interviewed were honest, candid and very open about the extent of their obsession and we are grateful for their contribution.

I'm really pleased that Morrissey continues to inspire some people in this way - I'm sure Chris Rea, for example, doesn't. Of course, Morrissey can't choose his fans or their level of fandom. And neither can other fans, regardless of how embarrassed they may feel.

Great to read your response , as the creator , to the various thoughts expressed here .

Hi Amy

"This is being recorded by the jolly BBC so if anybody has anything clever to say, say it now and it'll go down in history" Does any of you lot remember hearing that ? Or am I to old ?

Hi Amy

I enjoyed the piece - and the candid views of the fans; they made for a warm, honest feature. Nice one.

Done just about an hour ago...

62588327.jpg
[/URL] Uploaded with ImageShack.us[/IMG]

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom