"Because This Is How I Am" - SER / Morrissey Central (24 May, 2019)

Because This Is How I Am. - Morrissey Central
May 24, 2019

full

BECAUSE THIS IS HOW I AM

"in early old age could I please express very sincere thanks to BBC Radio 2 for their broad-shouldered support given to "California Son", "Wedding Bell Blues" and "It's Over". Whatever the future brings, I will always remember Radio 2's steady support during these rocky weeks - especially from Jo Whiley.

I am sorry the UK print media's contorted interpretation of who and what I am has gone all wrong. In these days when most people are afraid to even whisper, the print media write as if someone is coming to get them. This aching nervousness brings on the vengeful and paranoid. Inventing Britain's doomsday is the preoccupation of the tabloids, and they can hate you for having lived.

I straighten up, and my position is one of hope. The march backwards is over, and life has begun again. With voice extended to breaking point, I call for the prosperity of free speech; the eradication of totalitarian control; I call for diversity of opinion; I call for the total abolition of the abattoir; I call for peace, above all; I call for civil society; I call for a so-far unknowable end to brutalities; "No" to Soviet Britain; prayers not to gods but to forces; an end to disingenuous media cluelessness; the people have the power; hatred and beheadings belong in the furnace of history; music might still be your only friend; for every shade and persuasion ... we shall always be alongside each other - everyone's culture of value; no more fashionable outrage; cows are friends to humans - don't kill them; beware of those who write in headlines; moral fiber means holding on ... to your friends; give up on inferior arguments; God gave you your life to enjoy - you will cry for your life in years to come ... death always answers back; do not be a nobody; you have survived this far in order to make the remainder peaceful and funny; your very survival proves that you have a right; ignore the cold eyes of fascism; your life is Art." #morrissey

24 May 2019

Thanks to Sam for sharing!

UPDATE May 25:

Also posted on Morrissey Official Facebook:

Media coverage:

Last edited by a moderator:
is this the extensive interview?

"God gave you your life to enjoy..." - I have zero interest in religion but bloody hell it would be interesting if Morrissey went through a religious phase, a la Dylan.

Also: he's kind of nuts, isn't he?

"God gave you your life to enjoy..." - I have zero interest in religion but bloody hell it would be interesting if Morrissey went through a religious phase, a la Dylan.

Also: he's kind of nuts, isn't he?
the cross has been ever present?

I have wept for less. His finest, most eloquent statement in years and years and years. For those who insist on scorning him, ridiculing him and calling him this that and the other: I pity you. Your boat has sailed and it ain’t never coming back.
And this: “for every shade and persuasion … we shall always be alongside each other - everyone's culture of value” surely puts an end to THAT tired old debate.
Viva Morrissey!

How about:
"Big apologies folks - I've been an absolute idiot. I've visibly and unequivocally supported a political party without even reading their manifesto. What a f***wit!
I now realise that, despite making encouraging noises about animal rights, sexuality and national identity, For Bigots are a proper right-wing party who couldn't give a shit about the natural environment, want to divert aid intended to help the world's most impoverished countries into spending more on military conflicts, and to reduce the taxes of the wealthiest people in society. This totally goes against everything I've ever stood for. I promise to either avoid all political commenting in the future, or I will educate myself about the complex and nuanced world of politics and international relations. I will never wear that pin, or voice my support again for that party, as long as I live."

Morrissey very conciliatory....take a bow

Great comment, made me feel happy buying California Son this morning.
I will never agree with For Britain, Morrissey has aligned himself with bullies and bigots, but with this new great album and this thoughtful and respectful quote, he still seems to have some sense, somewhere.

Read it. Then read it again.

Words as wallpaper. Pure flannel. He is saying absolutely nothing. This is not the Morrissey I know. He used to be direct and straight to the point. However, in defence of himself right now, he is mealy mouthed and makes absolutely no points at all. This is a cloak of cliches.

Because This Is How I Am. - Morrissey Central
May 24, 2019

full

BECAUSE THIS IS HOW I AM

"in early old age could I please express very sincere thanks to BBC Radio 2 for their broad-shouldered support given to "California Son", "Wedding Bell Blues" and "It's Over". Whatever the future brings, I will always remember Radio 2's steady support during these rocky weeks - especially from Jo Whiley.

I am sorry the UK print media's contorted interpretation of who and what I am has gone all wrong. In these days when most people are afraid to even whisper, the print media write as if someone is coming to get them. This aching nervousness brings on the vengeful and paranoid. Inventing Britain's doomsday is the preoccupation of the tabloids, and they can hate you for having lived.

I straighten up, and my position is one of hope. The march backwards is over, and life has begun again. With voice extended to breaking point, I call for the prosperity of free speech; the eradication of totalitarian control; I call for diversity of opinion; I call for the total abolition of the abattoir; I call for peace, above all; I call for civil society; I call for a so-far unknowable end to brutalities; "No" to Soviet Britain; prayers not to gods but to forces; an end to disingenuous media cluelessness; the people have the power; hatred and beheadings belong in the furnace of history; music might still be your only friend; for every shade and persuasion ... we shall always be alongside each other - everyone's culture of value; no more fashionable outrage; cows are friends to humans - don't kill them; beware of those who write in headlines; moral fiber means holding on ... to your friends; give up on inferior arguments; God gave you your life to enjoy - you will cry for your life in years to come ... death always answers back; do not be a nobody; you have survived this far in order to make the remainder peaceful and funny; your very survival proves that you have a right; ignore the cold eyes of fascism; your life is Art." #morrissey

24 May 2019

Thanks to Sam for sharing!

Is that morrissey thanking Sam, if so it's as I thought Sam is no more than another Julia, like a fan that happens to be related.
There is obviously no connection beyond that

Tags
california son info

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom