Billie Joe Armstrong on recording with Morrissey

In an interview promoting Green Day's new album "Father of All Motherf***ers"...

full

Article here... https://www.theguardian.com/music/2...knroll-helps-you-dance-through-the-apocalypse

Excerpt:

This year the band will turn 34. No punk band has made it this far. The Sex Pistols lasted three years, the Clash 10, the Ramones 22. Green Day are writing the blueprint while living it, so it is no surprise that they have sometimes made mistakes. Last year Armstrong duetted with Morrissey on his covers album California Son – a terrible look in the wake of Morrissey’s vocal support for far-right organisations and individuals.

“I wasn’t aware until the song came out,” says Armstrong. “We do the song, and he was very lovely, and then the song comes out and a lot of Brits were like: what the hell are you doing? I really did not have a clue … ” Bewitched by the singer’s status as an 80s indie godhead, he simply failed in his due diligence. Cool pipes up, giggling: “Hey, we’ve all got our Ted Nugents, right?” – a reference to the US rocker and gun enthusiast.

Related item:

Last edited by a moderator:
Did he really say those words or did The Guardian just make 'em up?
Having read the Guardian for over 35 years, I can assure you that they didn't "make 'em up." Why is it so difficult for people like you to accept the fact that many people dislike Morrissey's espousal of a far-right political party?

Did he really say those words or did The Guardian just make 'em up?
They definitely did. Just like when they questioned all those other CS-collaborators just prior to that album's release about Morrissey's politics... Soviet Britain.

Having read the Guardian for over 35 years, I can assure you that they didn't "make 'em up." Why is it so difficult for people like you to accept the fact that many people dislike Morrissey's espousal of a far-right political party?

My comment was marinaded in a delicious vat of facetiousness before I typed it out.

Why?

The Guardian have a hard-on for Morrissey and Morrissey doesn't want us to read about any of his deeds:

I Am Not A Dog On A Chain” (“I use my own brain…I do not read newspapers/They are mischief makers/Listen to what’s not shown/And there you will find the truth”)

My comment was marinaded in a delicious vat of facetiousness before I typed it out.

Why?

The Guardian have a hard-on for Morrissey and Morrissey doesn't want us to read about any of his deeds:

I Am Not A Dog On A Chain” (“I use my own brain…I do not read newspapers/They are mischief makers/Listen to what’s not shown/And there you will find the truth”)

"Listen to what’s not shown/And there you will find the truth” < Absolute bollocks btw!

In an interview promoting Green Day's new album "Father of All Motherf***ers"...

DAcEqgM.jpg

Article here... https://www.theguardian.com/music/2...knroll-helps-you-dance-through-the-apocalypse

Skinny, a grown man of 52, allegedly. Here again showing himself up as someone who repeatedly self harms on negative Moz stories, and seeks them out with the utmost of zeal.
I have no pity for this skinny, it's laughable, but quite pathetic to watch how he conducts himself.
People with lesser afflictions are locked away somewhere.

Skinny, a grown man of 52, allegedly. Here again showing himself up as someone who repeatedly self harms on negative Moz stories, and seeks them out with the utmost of zeal.
I have no pity for this skinny, it's laughable, but quite pathetic to watch how he conducts himself.
People with lesser afflictions are locked away somewhere.

Man? You are joking, surely?

Lol, look at what you are doing, abusing and offending complete strangers on a forum dedicated to a singer you cannot stand :lbf:
Sicko. Thicko.

God almighty the Guardian is soooo tiresome in its one-dimensional world-view and relentless pursuit of the Woke dollar.

It's more sneaky journalism here. The actual quote they have from Billie Joe Armstrong is: "I wasn't aware until the song came out...a lot of Brits were like: what the hell are you doing? I really did not have a clue." And then around that they've plumped it up as much as they possibly can: "made mistakes"..."a terrible look"..."bewitched"..."failed in his due diligence".

It would be equally possible to have written this story as "Billie Joe Armstrong was unaware of Morrissey's political views when he worked with him last year, but still thought he was lovely in person."

And then around that they've plumped it up as much as they possibly can: "made mistakes"..."a terrible look"..."bewitched"..."failed in his due diligence".
How do you know that those phrases don't simply sum up other things that were said in the interview but which weren't quoted verbatim?

How do you know that those phrases don't simply sum up other things that BJA said in the interview but which weren't quoted verbatim?

First answer: I don't know, fair point.

Second answer: f*** me, are you that naïve? If the Guardian had a quote from BJA saying anything more about how he now hates Morrissey because of his extreme views, or anything like that...they would have used those quotes. Right?!

First answer: I don't know, fair point.

Second answer: f*** me, are you that naïve? If the Guardian had a quote from BJA saying anything more about how he now hates Morrissey because of his extreme views, or anything like that...they would have used those quotes. Right?!
No, not necessarily. In interviews where multiple people are being interviewed (as is apparent in this one) sometimes you get people saying things to each other, saying things over the top of each other, finishing each others' sentence etc, which are difficult to quote directly so may be glossed.
The fact of the matter is, as indicated in your first answer, you don't have the first clue so you launched a tedious, lazy attack on the messenger. Presumably because that is easier than actually engaging with the inescapable fact that many people now dislike Morrissey because of his far-right political views, and some (like BJA) regret ever working with him.

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom