BlackBook: "New Film ‘Shoplifters of the World’ is a Poignant Love Letter to The Smiths" (March 22, 2021)

Shoplifters-SOTW_PR-Still_11.jpg
Black Book - Ken Scrudato.

Excerpt:

"Literally no band ever represented said tribalism so monumentally as did The Smiths. And amongst the time-transporting, archival black & white footage woven into the Shoplifters… narrative is a scene of a half-dozen or so young boys biking about, probably somewhere in Manchester (Salford?) around 1984, and all dressed identically in the unmistakable Morrissey regalia – right down to the pompadour and studious spectacles. Then flashbacks to vintage interviews with Marr (“We wanted to ditch everything that people superficially thought was rock & roll.”) and Morrissey (“Do you have any friends?” “No, I don’t” “So The Smiths are your only friends?” “As far as I can see, yeah.”) make for a spine-tingling reminder of what vividly and brilliantly self-drawn characters they were (especially the latter, obviously) – and serve to decisively explicate all the hysteria swirling around them, from the North of England all the way to the suburbs of Denver."

Shoplifters-SOTW_PR-Still_5.jpg

Regards,
FWD.

"I f***ing hate Molly Ringwald."

OK, I'm outta here...

Also big lol @ the author for "betraying the past".

Last edited:
I've got my tickets already! I didn't know there was archival footage of our heroes - that's an extra bonus in addition to the music!

No one understands Morrissey or The Smiths the way I did. Because they were/are so good, every attempt they make to recreate that will ultimately fail. They have no idea of what makes Morrissey and The Smiths so unique. They have no notion that they shouldn't even try to represent what they meant. Leave them well alone unless you have the slightest inkling of what they stood for and what they meant. People try and they fail CONSTANTLY to come close to reproducing what Morrissey and The Smiths did. They never manage to do it. Because they can't.

Hey @Dale Wharfe!

I wouldn't try to make a film or portray The Smiths and Morrissey in a certain way. You can't do it. You kid yourself if you think you can. I'd make a film of live footage and videos with the consent of Morrissey and the other band members and push to have it shown on terrestrial TV. It's what's we've needed for years. I'm sick of other people's idea of Morrissey and The Smiths. I hate to be hard but time and again, they have missed the point. Time and again I'm seeing a watered down version of what Morrissey and The Smiths mean to me. Time and again people are getting it so wrong. People say Morrissey is ruining the legacy of The Smiths but I feel he was never given the legacy he deserved.... So why should he give a damn now? If he'd been acknowledged in his day and been afforded the appreciation he deserved at the time he might not be feeling so bitter now. The Smiths and Morrissey have been criminally disregarded by the general populous. Why should he care anymore? He writes for himself.

I'd like to see a movie about Morrissey in the form of a year by year montage of live concert performance, showing his development as a singer, performer (even though he hates that word) and lyricist, interspersed with interview footage or audio from the relevant year.

I'd like to see a movie about Morrissey in the form of a year by year montage of live concert performance, showing his development as a singer, performer (even though he hates that word) and lyricist, interspersed with interview footage or audio from the relevant year.
😂😂😂

More rubbish reviews for a rubbish “film” that only delusional extremists will think is needed.

Interview with actor/producer Joe Manganiello - talks briefly about pitching the script to both Morrissey and Marr camps for approval.

“Do you have any friends?”
“No, I don’t”
“So The Smiths are your only friends?”
“As far as I can see, yeah.”

Pretty much sums it up, doesn’t it? When you shit all over everyone who loves you and tries to help you, eventually you’ll end up alone. No wonder the well is dry and he can’t find a decent band, let alone a label. There’s no poetry in self-inflicted misery.

Fak Arf.

“Do you have any friends?”
“No, I don’t”
“So The Smiths are your only friends?”
“As far as I can see, yeah.”

Pretty much sums it up, doesn’t it? When you shit all over everyone who loves you and tries to help you, eventually you’ll end up alone. No wonder the well is dry and he can’t find a decent band, let alone a label. There’s no poetry in self-inflicted misery.

Fak Arf.

Morrissey's always liked to shock people by giving unexpected answers to certain questions.

Back then, Morrissey did have at least one good friend that we know of: Linder Sterling. And he might have had a few more besides her.

As we all know, Morrissey has a few long lasting frienships.

Morrissey has a very decent band, and seems to be quite satisfied with the music he's been making with them guys.

No label at the moment, but he will work it out.

And, Morrissey wrote lots of poetry out of misery. Self-inflicted or not.

Therefore, you can troll away as much as you like, and we, Morrissey fans, we'll keep loving him.

Morrissey's always liked to shock people by giving unexpected answers to certain questions.

Back then, Morrissey did have at least one good friend that we know of: Linder Sterling. And he might have had a few more besides her.

Morrissey has a very decent band, and seems to be quite satisfied with the music he's been making with them guys.

Therefore, you can troll away as much as you like, and we, Morrissey fans, we'll keep loving him.
Lovely words ...

These freaks have been Quiet all weekend, they seems to show them selves mid week for some unexplained reasons.....
it’s probably giro eve , so they’ll be excited....

Let’s get one thing straight, Sunshine. There’s no “trolling” in calling a shit-show human what (insert your favourite pronoun - or emoji) is. If any of you slugs actually cared about the man, you’d call him out for his whiny, toddleresque behaviour. You’d encourage him to write a lyric worthy of a song, get a band that can play, hire Stephen Street and make a proper record. ...but you’re all just a bunch of fawning enablers.

Present day Melvis fans are like junkies. They just want to be a part of the party/misery. Keep it going. Who cares if it’s cut to shit. They’re perfectly happy to let the man and his legacy erode to dust. ...and then dance on his grave.

SHAME!

f*** me. The only one that can save Morrissey’s career from himself and you lot, at this point, is Rick Ruben. ...and, like EVERYONE else - of note - he wouldn’t want a thing to do with complete and utter bullshit that comes along with it.

Tags
shoplifters movie

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom