Book of Condolence Thread

A friend of my dads', George.... aged 91 and a Chelsea Pensioner, died Xmas Eve but I only found out today
I'm sure my dad will have bumped into you by now:guitar:

Jukebox Jury

rowland s.howard who was a member of the birthday party and crime and the city solution
:tears:
he died of liver cancer on the 30th of december 2009. i just heard it toda<
birtday party

crime and the city solution performing in the film wings of desire

watch that film(wings of desire/der himmel über berlin
ts amazing one of my long time faves.
very poetic film unfortunately hollywood lay their hands on it it and the remake(city of angels) was horrible and does lack the poetry and beauty of the orginal
also feaures nick cave and the bad seeds performing
http://movies.nytimes.com/movie/54797/Wings-of-Desire/trailers

RowlandSHoward.jpg

rowland100x200.jpg

and last:a lovely pic of rowland and nick cuddling in bed
(i cant copy it for some strange reason)
http://morgansmusings.files.wordpress.com/2008/06/nickrowland-bed.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Willie Mitchell (1928 - 2010)

Willie Mitchell (born January 3, 1928) is an American soul, R&B, rock and roll, pop and funk music producer and arranger who runs Royal Recording in Memphis, Tennessee. He is best known for his Hi Records label of the 1970s, which released albums by a large stable of popular Memphis soul artists, including Mitchell himself, Al Green, Syl Johnson and Ann Peebles.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Willie_Mitchell_(musician)

143b1506-46e4-432f-8ee1-f45f95891e6a_mn.jpg

SpaghettiOs Creator Donald Goerke Dies at 83

Donald Goerke, Campbell Soup executive behind SpaghettiOs and Chunky soups, dies at 83

The Campbell Soup Co. executive who was behind the enduring brands SpaghettiOs and Chunky Soup has died.
Donald Goerke (GUHR'-kee) was 83. A Campbell spokesman confirmed that Goerke died of heart failure Sunday at his home in Delran in southern New Jersey.
Goerke was marketing research director of Campbell's Franco-American line in the early 1960s when his group started dreaming up pasta in shapes that would appeal to kids. He chose the o's. They were marketed with the unforgettable tagline, "Uh-oh, SpaghettiOs."

Later, he helped introduce Chunky Soup, a hearty ready-to-serve soup that stood out from the company's traditional line of condensed soups.
The Waukesha, Wis., native worked for Camden-based Campbell for 35 years, retiring in 1990.
http://abcnews.go.com/Business/wireStory?id=9553277

RIP Jay Reatard. Only 29 years old... Live fast, die young I guess!

From NME.com:
Jay Reatard dies aged 29

Memphis rocker found dead at his home

Jay Reatard has died at the age of 29.

The Memphis garage rocker - real name Jimmy Jay Lindsey Jr. - was found dead at his Midtown home this morning (January 13), reports Go Memphis.

A cause of death is yet to be confirmed.

Meanwhile, Lindsey's record label Matador Records have released the following statement:

"We are devastated by the death of Jimmy Lee Lindsey Jr., aka Jay Reatard. Jay was as full of life as anyone we've ever met, and responsible for so many memorable moments as a person and artist."

They added: "We're honored to have known and worked with him, and we will miss him terribly."

Lindsey, whose band quit mid-tour in October, had put together a new line-up and had only last month, finished a tour of the US.

Soul Singer Teddy Pendergrass Dead At 59
January 14, 2010

Philadelphia Soul singer Teddy Pendergrass passed away yesterday at the age of 59 after a challenging recovery from colon cancer surgery. He died at Bryn Mawr Hospital, where he had been hospitalized since August. He underwent colon cancer surgery eight months ago, and his son said the singer, who had been paralyzed from the waist down after a 1982 car accident, had "a difficult recovery."

"To all his fans who loved his music, thank you," Teddy Pendergrass II told the Philadelphia Inquirer. "He will live on through his music."

Pendergrass was known for hits like "The Love I Lost" and "If You Don't Know Me By Now" when he was lead singer of Harold Melvin & the Blue Notes in the 1970s. After he left the group in 1976, he forged an influential solo career as a seductive Soul crooner with hits like "Love T.K.O.," "Feel the Fire, "Close the Door," "Come Go With Me," "Turn off the Lights" and "It's Time for Love." Even after the car accident that left him paralyzed, he returned to recording the next year with the album Love Language, and played at the Live Aid concert in 1985, performing from his wheelchair. He continued to record sporadically throughout the 1980s and '90s, and he founded the Teddy Pendergrass Alliance to
help people with spinal cord injuries achieve their maximum potential in education, employment, productivity and independence.

His most recent performance was at a June 2007 Philadelphia tribute concert, Teddy 25 – A Celebration of Life, Hope and Possibilities, marking the anniversary of his life-altering car accident. At the concert, Pendergrass announced that "instead of being saddened by this milestone," he was "deeply overwhelmed with a sense of gratitude to all the people who have helped me overcome the many fears and difficulties I would ultimately encounter as a disabled person."

Like many Philly Soul singers, Pendergrass' hits were written and produced by the legendary team of Kenny Gamble and Leon Huff. In a joint statement, Gamble and Huff said, "Teddy Pendergrass was one of the greatest artists that the music industry has ever known, and there hasn’t been another one since. We’ve lost our voice and we’ve lost our best friend, but we’re thankful for what we had. It was beautiful. He was one of the best."

The official public viewing for Pendergrass will be held Friday, January 22 at 10 a.m. at Enon Tabernacle Baptist Church in Philadelphia. The funeral will be held Saturday, January 23 at 10 a.m., also at Enon Tabernacle Baptist Church. Internment will follow at West Laurel Hill Cemetery. The family is asking that in lieu of flowers, donations be sent to The Joan & Teddy Pendergrass Memorial, P.O. Box 382, Gladwyne, PA 19035.

Juzabro Futaba (1910 - 2009)
Originally he translated US detective novels.
Very sad that we lost the oldest Japanese film critic.

Isamu Tanonaka (1932 - 2010)
A Japanese actor whos provided the voice of Eyeball dad of catoon series Ge-ge-ge no Kitaro.

kitaro00.gif

RIP.

Last edited:
director and novelist eric rohmer died aged 89 on the 11th of january
edit for those who dont know him:
Eric Rohmer (4 April 1920 – 11 January 2010) was a French film director, film critic, journalist, novelist, screenwriter, and teacher. A key figure in the post-war New Wave cinema, he was a former editor of influential French film journal Cahiers du cinéma.

Rohmer was the last of the French New Wave directors to become established. He worked as the editor of the Cahiers du cinéma periodical from 1957 to 1963, while most of his Cahiers colleagues, among them Jean-Luc Godard and François Truffaut, were beginning their careers and gaining international attention. René Schérer, philosopher, is his brother and René Monzat, a journalist, is his son.
his films/works
Contes moraux (Six Moral Tales):

1963 #1 La Boulangère de Monceau (The Bakery Girl of Monceau) — short, not released theatrically
1963 #2 La Carrière de Suzanne (Suzanne's Career) — short, not released theatrically
1967 #4 La Collectionneuse (The Collector)
1969 #3 Ma nuit chez Maud (My Night at Maud's) — although planned as the third moral tale, its production was delayed due to the unavailability of actor Jean-Louis Trintignant. It was released after the fourth tale.
1970 #5 Le Genou de Claire (Claire's Knee)
1972 #6 L'Amour l'après-midi (Love in the Afternoon/Chloe in the Afternoon)
Comédies et Proverbes (Comedies and Proverbs):

1981 La Femme de l'aviateur (The Aviator's Wife) — "It is impossible to think about nothing."
1982 Le Beau mariage (A Good Marriage) — "Can anyone refrain from building castles in Spain?"
1983 Pauline à la plage (Pauline at the Beach) — "He who talks too much will hurt himself."
1984 Les Nuits de la pleine lune (Full Moon in Paris) — "He who has two women loses his soul, he who has two houses loses his mind."
1986 Le Rayon vert (The Green Ray/Summer) — "Ah, for the days/that set our hearts ablaze,"
1987 L'Ami de mon amie (My Girlfriend's Boyfriend/Boyfriends and Girlfriends) — "My friends' friends are my friends."
Contes des quatre saisons (Tales of the Four Seasons):

1990 Conte de printemps (A Tale of Springtime)
1992 Conte d'hiver (A Winter's Tale/A Tale of Winter)
1996 Conte d'été (A Tale of Summer)
1998 Conte d'automne (A Tale of Autumn)
Non-series

1959 Le Signe du lion
1976 La Marquise d'O... (The Marquise of O...)
1978 Perceval le Gallois
1979 Catherine de Heilbronn
1987 Le trio en si bémol
1987 Quatre Aventures de Reinette et Mirabelle (Four Adventures of Reinette and Mirabelle)
1993 L'Arbre, le maire et la médiathèque (The Tree, The Mayor, and the Mediatheque)
1995 Les Rendez-vous de Paris (Rendezvous in Paris)
2000 L'Anglaise et le duc (The Lady and the Duke)
2004 Triple Agent
2007 Les Amours d'Astrée et de Céladon
[edit] Short films
1950 Journal d'un scélérat
1952 Les Petites filles modèles (unfinished)
1954 Bérénice
1956 La Sonate à Kreutzer
1958 Véronique et son cancre
1960 Présentation ou Charlotte et son steak
1963 see above, Contes moraux (Six Moral Tales)
1964 Nadja à Paris
1965 "Place de l'Étoile" from Paris Vu Par... (Six in Paris)
1966 Une Étudiante d'aujourd'hui
1983 Loup y es-tu? (Wolf, Are You There?)
1986 Bois ton café (Drink your coffee it's getting cold!) (music video)
1997 Fermière à Montfaucon
1997 Un dentiste exemplaire
1999 Une histoire qui se dessine
2004 Le canapé rouge
[edit] Works for television
Episodes for En profil dans le texte

1963 Paysages urbains
1964 Les cabinets de physique, la vie de société au XVIIIe siècle
1964 Les métamorphoses du paysage, l'ère industrielle
1964 Les salons de Diderot
1964 Perceval ou le conte du Graal
1965 Don Quichotte de Cervantes
1965 Les histoires extraordinaires d'Edgar Poe
1965 Les caractères de La Bruyère
1965 Entretien sur Pascal
1966 Victor Hugo, les contemplations
1968 Entretien avec Mallarmé
1968 Nancy au XVIIIe siècle
1969 Victor Hugo architecte
1969 La sorcière de Michelet
1969 Le béton dans la ville
1970 Le français langue vivante?
Episodes for Cinéastes de notre temps

1965 Carl Th. Dreyer
1966 Le celluloïd et le marbre
Episodes for Aller au cinéma

1968 Post-face à l'Atalante
1968 Louis Lumière
1968 Post-face à Boudu sauvé des eaux
Ville nouvelle (1975, four-part miniseries)

Épisode 1: L'enfance d'une ville
Épisode 2: La diversité du paysage urbain
Épisode 3: La forme de la ville
Épisode 4: Le logement à la demande
Episode for Histoire de la vie privée

1989 Les Jeux de société
non-series

1967 L'homme et la machine
1967 L'homme et les images
1968 L'homme et les frontières
1968 L'homme et les gouvernements

Last edited:
director Eric Rohmer died aged 89 on 11th January 2009
His films:
La Collectionneuse (1967)
My Night at Maud's (1969)
Claire's Knee (1970) and Love in the Afternoon (1972).
The 1980s brought "Comedies and Proverbs," with films like Pauline at the Beach (1983), Le Rayon Vert (1986) -- a Golden Lion winner at the Venice Film Festival -- and Boyfriends and Girlfriends (1987).
And in the 1990s, he completed his "Tales of the Four Seasons" including A Summer's Tale (1996) and Autumn Tale (1998).
Occasionally, Rohmer ventured into the costume genre, and those films have their admirers as well, notably The Marquise of O (1976), Perceval (1978), The Lady and the Duke (2002), which used new digital technology to place the characters in front of painted backdrops, and his gentle final film The Romance of Astrea and Celadon (2008).

I really adore Rohmer's films and very grateful to his contributions (Tarantino also admitted he's influenced by Rohmer as well).

I found Tom Milne's obituary from The Guardian:
http://www.guardian.co.uk/film/2010/jan/11/eric-rohmer-obituary

RIP.

Last edited:
A true legend.

Folk singer Kate McGarrigle dies
Quebecer teamed with sister Anna to record 10 albums
Last Updated: Tuesday, January 19, 2010 | 11:27 AM ET

Canadian folk and roots music singer Kate McGarrigle, best known for her work with her sister, Anna, as the McGarrigle Sisters, has died at age 63.

McGarrigle, born in Montreal, died Monday night after battling a rare form of cancer, confirmed her brother-in-law, journalist Dane Lanken.

She is the mother of musicians Rufus and Martha Wainwright through her previous marriage with American singer-songwriter Loudon Wainwright III and a beloved folk icon in Canada.

Reports that McGarrigle was critically ill surfaced over the weekend after her son, Rufus, cancelled his tour of Australia and New Zealand, scheduled to begin in February, to be with her.

Kate and Anna McGarrigle, known for the originality of their music and their vocal harmonies, performed together for three decades.

The McGarrigle sisters recorded 10 albums in French and English, and their songs have been covered by artists such as Linda Ronstadt, Billy Bragg and Emmylou Harris.

Kate McGarrigle was born on Feb. 6, 1946, in Saint-Sauveur-des-Monts, Que., of mixed English and French-Canadian heritage. Her sister, Anna, is two years older. They took piano lessons from the village nuns and sang together as a family while growing up.

In the 1960s, while studying engineering at McGill University, McGarrigle began performing in the Montreal folk scene with her sister. In a 2005 interview with The Canadian Press, Anna McGarrigle said her father objected to them performing.

"He would have hated the idea of us becoming professional musicians because he thought professional musicians were bums, people that wandered from town to town," she said, after accepting a lifetime achievement award from ASCAP, the respected American songwriting association.

They began composing their own songs, including Heart Like a Wheel, which was picked up by Ronstadt. On the strength of their songwriting, they were offered a contract with Warner Bros., recording their debut album Kate and Anne McGarrigle in 1975. It was named album of the year by Melody Maker and the No. 2 record of the year by the New York Times.

Other internationally acclaimed albums include Dancer with Bruised Knees, Pronto Monto, an all-French album, Love Over and Over and Heartbeats Accelerating.

Their repertoire includes songs such as:

Heart Like a Wheel.
Goin' Back to Harlan.
Complainte pour Ste. Catherine.
Love Over and Over.
Heartbeats Accelerating.
Talk to Me of Mendocino.
On My Way to Town.
The 1996 album Matapédia and 1998's The McGarrigle Hour earned them Juno Awards for best roots and traditional album of the year.

The McGarrigle Hour, featuring performances by Loudon Wainwright, Linda Ronstadt and Emmylou Harris, became a TV concert special and a DVD release the following year.

The McGarrigles have appeared widely on television, including on Sharon, Lois and Bram's Elephant Show, Saturday Night Live, CTV and CBC.

The McGarrigles performed and recorded with Irish group The Chieftains, Leonard Cohen, Joan Baez, Maria Muldaur and Quebec's Gilles Vigneault.

In the 2000s, Kate and Anna were invited by producer Hal Willner to participate in a series of concerts celebrating the work of Harry Smith, the filmmaker and collector of American folk music. They performed concerts in Los Angeles, London and New York with artists such as Brian Ferry, Nick Cave, Van Dyke Parks, Jarvis Cocker and Lou Reed.

Rufus Wainwright said in an interview with London's Telegraph that his musical parents helped set the course of his life.

"The truth is, I've drawn a lot of my creative inspiration from Mum and her background," he said. "She's a very earthy, very instinctual woman, and that comes out in her music. I knew very early on that, like her and Dad, I wanted to be a singer-songwriter."

The McGarrigles' final album, released in 2005, was The McGarrigle Christmas Hour, though they contributed to the Northern Songs in 2008. Kate McGarrigle gave her final performance in Montreal just before Christmas.

In 1993, McGarrigle was appointed a member of the Order of Canada.

Jean Simmons (1929-2010)

simmons3_1564742c.jpg

One of the most versatile British acctresses of 20th Century.
She appeared in many classics such as Great Expectations, Spartacus, Guys and Dolls.

RIP.

Last edited:
R.I.P Zelda Rubenstein

The extraordinary talent that was Earl Wild.

By MARTIN STEINBERG, Associated Press Writer Martin Steinberg, Associated Press Writer – Mon Jan 25, 2:09 pm ET

NEW YORK – Grammy-winning pianist Earl Wild, who learned his craft from students of Liszt and Ravel and became one of America's masters of the keyboard, has died at age 94.

Wild died of congestive heart disease Saturday at his home in Palm Springs, Calif., publicist Mary Lou Falcone said Monday.

Despite his advanced age, Wild continued to teach until last week — he listened to a pupil play his "Porgy and Bess Fantasy," said Michael Rolland Davis, his companion of 38 years and sole survivor.

Wild's last public performance was at age 92 at Walt Disney Concert Hall in Los Angeles, where he was presented with the National Academy of Recording Arts & Sciences' Presidential Merit Award.

In 2005, he gave a robust recital at Carnegie Hall to celebrate his 90th birthday, displaying great elegance with his thick white hair and nimble fingers. At that concert, which came months after a quadruple bypass and two eye operations, the 6-foot-1 Wild walked slowly to the piano before settling into a 90-minute performance. He played eight works by memory, never losing his way.

Months earlier, his 57th album — "Living History" — was released. In all, Wild recorded more than 35 piano concertos and 700 solo pieces.

His other awards include being named Musical America's Instrumentalist of the Year in 2005. He won his Grammy in 1997 for best instrumental soloist performance for his album "The Romantic Master," which included works by Saint-Saens and Handel.

Born in Pittsburgh, Wild started playing the piano at age 3 and studied with teachers who were taught by Ravel, Ignace Jan Paderewski and Ferruccio Busoni. Two of his other teachers studied with pupils of Liszt.

His earliest musical memories dated to 1918, when his mother brought home a recording of the opera "Norma."

"It starts with a G minor chord, just three notes," Wild recalled during a 2005 interview with The Associated Press. "I was a little thing and I reached up on the piano and played it. So they knew I was musical."

He said he started taking lessons and liked to practice to drown out the quarreling between his parents. "Practice was a refuge," he said.

In 1937, he joined the NBC Symphony as a staff pianist, performing under Arturo Toscanini. During an NBC broadcast two years later, he became the first pianist to give a solo recital on American television.

Wild went on to perform in countless orchestras, including those led by Fritz Reiner and Otto Klemperer.

He also played and wrote music for comedian Sid Caesar for three years and performed for six American presidents, from Herbert Hoover to Lyndon Johnson.

During the 2005 interview, Wild vowed never to stop being active.

"When people are alive and they are able to do something, they should do something even if it's basket weaving, because to not do something is to give up. ... So never give up."

His memoirs will be published soon by Carnegie Mellon Press, according to his Web site.

No memorial service is planned, Falcone said.

"He said he didn't want one," she said.

Wax Trax co-owner Dannie Flesher dies

Dannie Flesher, who oversaw the internationally acclaimed Wax Trax record store and label in Chicago during the '80s and '90s, has died at 58.

Flesher died Sunday in his hometown of Hope, Ark., of pneumonia. He had dropped out of the music business after Wax Trax folded and his life and label partner Jim Nash died in 1995. Flesher had returned to Arkansas in 2005 to live with family members.

Flesher and Nash opened a Wax Trax store in Denver in the '70s, then moved their operation to Lincoln Avenue in 1978. Their store, stocked with imported punk and electronic music, defined cutting edge and was like the city's island of misfit toys, where punks, freaks and outsiders gathered to buy music, advertise shows and plot their futures.

In the '80s, the store expanded into a label that became the world headquarters for boundary-pushing artists who bridged disco, electronic music, rock and the avant-garde. Some dubbed the sound "industrial disco," an umbrella term that included Ministry, Front 242, Underworld, KMFDM, and My Life With the Thrill Kill Kult, underground acts that went on to sell millions of records.

Whereas Nash was the flamboyant label spokesman and talent scout, Flesher was the quieter but no less important half of the franchise.

"Jim was the face of the label, but Dannie played a major role; he and Jim brainstormed everything together," said Reid Hyams, whose Chicago Trax studio hosted countless recording sessions by Wax Trax artists, including legendary bacchanals overseen by Ministry's Al Jourgensen.

Chris Connelly, one of the label's key artists, was based in Scotland when he was invited by Jourgensen to participate in a Chicago recording session in 1986. "I had never been to America before, and Dannie came to get me at O'Hare," he says. "He and Jim pretty much adopted me. Dannie was the rock with the aviator shades and a cool menthol-light cigarette hanging out of his mouth at all times. Amid all the craziness, a scene made up of complete flakes, he was the reliable one. To live with (Nash) that long, or to be involved with Trax, you had to bulldoze through."

Connelly was struck by the modesty of the operation. "I thought every record label in America was in a high-rise, but here they were in an apartment above their store, with stacks and stacks of records in the toilet," he said. "But they had something people wanted, they had great taste in music, and for a while it just got bigger."

In a 1991 interview with the Tribune, Nash laughed at the notion that he and Flesher were businessmen. "We're in the business of chaos," he said. The duo's cavalier attitude toward business eventually did them in. They never signed contracts with any of the bands they discovered and ended up losing most of their artists to major labels. Wax Trax went bankrupt and folded in the mid-'90s but left behind a towering legacy.

"A lot of things opened up in this city thanks to Jim and Dannie," Frankie Nardiello of Thrill Kill Kult once told the Tribune. "They brought a lot of culture and coolness, a whole bunch of punk glitter, to a place that really needed it."

Flesher is survived by four brothers, three sisters and numerous nieces and nephews. No memorial plans have been announced.

from: http://www.chicagotribune.com/entertainment/music/chi-0114-obit-flesherjan14,0,7390893.column

Back
Top Bottom