Book: "Save Us Morrissey" - due Christmas by Jared Morris & Brian Clymer (October 14, 2020)

full

Regards,
FWD.

Further, via the author:
"Hey gang. I was asked to provide some more info.

The book is a chronological comprehensive collection of essays re: every non-album recordings + all live bsides and alt versions Morrissey has released. A biographical telling of Morrissey, band members, cowriters and producers thru 478 sources, music theory, analytical review and commentary. Unlike list books, each essay is a "deep dive". every entry gets between 2-18 pages. It's told in a conversational AP style and includes information about live performances, other artists cover versions, reissues, record store day releases etc. It's also not negative! I love Morrissey and his music so there's not any of the snarkiness you find in most writings about Morrissey and his work. It also explores some of the press coverage in recent years which, with my broadcasting career, I feel I have a unique take on.

600 pages? It's cause it goes in depth on every song and recording covered. I didn't intend to write so much, but it's also illustrated to an extent.

Qualifications? It's my fourth book, I have a degree in Communcation, I've been a radio talk show host for 15 years, I've been a radio rock DJ for five years. I've written for newspapers, magazines, radio and TV. I'm also highly trained in music theory and audio production and have produced numerous albums for musicians in my area. And I've been playing music for 28 years at various clubs and venues in the Northeast. I also have 22 albums that are currently actively in print. There's also an art to it that I think makes it more compelling.

I wrote it because I wanted to further explore the very rare tracks of Morrissey and his co-writers. I started writing in during Covid quarantine to keep from going crazy. It was Alain Whyte's stay-at-homes sessions that inspired it.

If you "hard pass" on it, that's fine, Nobody has to buy it. But, there's no reason to be a dick about it. Just move along. Thanks - JMX

Edit: the cover star is named Joe Elmer, 1943. I don't think that's the finished cover art."

Update:
The final cover art:

finfished.jpg

Further details and a sample chapter:

Last edited by a moderator:
That orange hue on the cover reminds me of List Of The Lost. Actually, that name would fit this book as well, being b-sides and all.

The gayest thing is the eBay ad attached, with fake - overpriced vintage swag. I’m in the wrong business. Stay tuned for my online store. Gonna be loads of garbage for trash-heap slugs to buy. 25 years ago, Melvis might have sued me. ...but he’s had a falling out with his lawyers, over their insistence that he actually pay them and shut the f*** up.

I have nothing to do with that Ebay thing, nor do I have an eBay account. Seems like there's a ton of bootleg merch these days though.

Thanks. It's supposed to be a humorous-ish parody. People being jerks about it makes me want to keep it.

I appreciate that it's a parody of the List of the Lost book cover, but why would you put a cover on your book that makes people less likely to buy it? The cover echoes one of the nadirs of Morrissey's career. I'd do a re-think unless your book is a parody also.

I don't get the need for 'parody', or indeed 'humor' [sic], at all.
It's a book about Moz & his work after all isn't it?
To many, that's serious stuff, and any associated flippancy would just get people's backs up...which could affect sales/interest. Just my 2-penneth.

so you'd literally judge a book by it's cover?! Brilliant!
That's not what I said. It's an unattractive cover that doesn't draw me in. If I saw a Moz related book in a shop I'd read the back cover to see what it's about. But I wouldn't read the whole book before buying. So in some ways you are right: I judge a book by it's cover (front and back) and from reviews (from real people, not critics). Or I'll read the first few paragraphs to see if it's well written.

If it's in my library I'll read it and will buy it if I like it. I don't mean any disrespect to you. You've done something none of us will ever do.

Last edited:
I appreciate that it's a parody of the List of the Lost book cover, but why would you put a cover on your book that makes people less likely to buy it? The cover echoes one of the nadirs of Morrissey's career. I'd do a re-think unless your book is a parody also.

As you've no doubt read,
I don't get the need for 'parody', or indeed 'humor' [sic], at all.
It's a book about Moz & his work after all isn't it?
To many, that's serious stuff, and any associated flippancy would just get people's backs up...which could affect sales/interest. Just my 2-penneth.

Ha. No you misunderstood. The mock-up was a parody/tribute to List of the Lost. I'm not a graphic artist. Like I noted. That probably isn't the finished cover. I'll have to sign off on it, but I'm not the one designing it. I appreciate your guys input. The cover's mostly out of my hands, though and, interestingly, the thing that I've thought about least. I'm not much of a visual artist, unfortunately. Good ears, bad eyes. Thanks though and thanks a million for the interest. You guys are all great! I look forward to sharing with you all whatever the graphic designer comes up with (I'll give you her email address and you can give her hell if it's not any good!)

That's not what I said. It's an unattractive cover that doesn't draw me in. If I saw a Moz related book in a shop I'd read the back cover to see what it's about. But I wouldn't read the whole book before buying. So in some ways you are right: I judge a book by it's cover (front and back) and from reviews (from real people, not critics). Or I'll read the first few paragraphs to see if it's well written.

If it's in my library I'll read it and will buy it if I like it. I don't mean any disrespect to you. You've done something none of us will ever do.

Haha. I was just kidding around! I just couldn't resist the book by its cover line. Sorry, everything's wordplay to me. I appreciate your input though and it means a lot to me that you guys would offer advice and opinions. Like I said, that cover was just a mock up. I don't know what the graphic artist is gonna come up with. Hopefully it'll be sometime that we all like! Thank so much for your reply! If not... Well, I'll just feel sad. lol.

List of the Lost is a surreal horror classic waiting to be rediscovered !

It's not a nadir.

Although nadir is a fabulous word given to us by Arabian science. 💫

'List of the Lost' was an an embarrassing career low for Morrissey - sales were so appalling the publishers cancelled the audiobook version, and the lack of any fictional follow-ups suggests even the man himself realises it was a car-crash and he should stick to music in future. Not sure why anyone would think it a good move to try and jump on this particular bandwagon.

List of the Lost is a surreal horror classic waiting to be rediscovered !

It's not a nadir.

Although nadir is a fabulous word given to us by Arabian science. 💫
If only Vincent Price was alive to star in it. Don't ask me what character though cos I couldn't get past the first ten pages and have blowtorched those from my memory.

If only Vincent Price was alive to star in it. Don't ask me what character though cos I couldn't get past the first ten pages and have blowtorched those from my memory.

He could be the Hobo. Ghoulishly reminding Ezra you can't escape guilt.

You should have stuck with it - it's about a kid in a coma thinking back through everything that inevitably went wrong.

Paperback available now on Amazon, ebook to follow November 20.

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom