Boy for my Birthday - Dale Hibbert Q&A

It's been 24 hours, if anyone has questions....fire away. I will do my best to answer them. I suppose the main question is "why now" ? It's been a long time. I once had a friend, who found a singer, for six months we rehearsed, talked, examined possibilities. The friend convinced me to leave the band I was with, and join him. We were kids, to be fair, but...

It's a sweet, innocent, charming recording and one that I am fond of.
Anyhow, this means a lot more to some people than it does me, it's out there because it brings joy to people.
We change as we age, if you can make people happy then do it, that's "why now". It was set to premiere on my birthday because anticipation is exquisite, we now live in an "on demand" society, I prefer the old ways.

If anyone is old enough to remember the excitement of Thursday evenings, or the countdown on Sundays, cassette recorder at the ready, fingers hovering above play+(red)record, you will remember the old ways.

Related item:

Last edited by a moderator:
ahhh the good old days of recording the top 40 on a sunday,you had to wait till the disc jockey stopped speaking then speedily press play and record.everything is too easily available nowadays.

Last edited:
Dale,
I bought and read your book when it came out. Have to say it's one of the best books I have read relating to the Smiths. Whereas Marr's memoir is safe and shallow to the point of being colour by numbers, your book was intriguingly deep.

I love the way you really delved into your own personality and thoughts with honesty and passion. I know we all recall memories differently, but I never doubted for one minute that every word you said was true. That takes a good writer. And good writers understand that real writing means exposing yourself vulnerably.

Both Moz and Marr should have perhaps taken this on board before putting pen to paper for their respective memoirs. Marr in particular, who seemed uneager to show himself in a bad light ever. I'll definitely re-read your book one day.

Dale, you said you were an aspie. Many people think Moz might be too. Thoughts?
Proven beyond any doubt in the case of Moz. But in this world it is the people free from letter combinations that struggle.

Everyone seems to be asking a similar question about the selling of the reel to reel tapes. No answers have been forthcoming. I too bid on your tapes (if this is really you) and it was stated that no copies would be made. So now this turns up on your you tube page. What do you say to these repeated questions of the original sale of the reel to reel and tape?

There's a lot said about aspergers, but in my day it was just being called shy. That is now an illness. No one's allowed to be shy anymore. No one's allowed to be private. If you don't share yourself 24/7 you have aspergers. IT'S CALLED BEING SHY FOR HEAVENS SAKE.
Shyness is nice.

ahhh the good old days of recording the top 40 on a sunday,you had to wait till the disc jockey stopped speaking then speedily press play and record.everything is too easily available nowadays.

Why won’t you return my messages!

I feel guilty for being shy. I wish I could hide my fear of others like everyone else does.
best thing for anybody who is shy is to get a job in retail,you meet people all day and its amazing how your confidence grows and before you know it you can tackle anything,worked for me a long time ago.

best thing for anybody who is shy is to get a job in retail,you meet people all day and its amazing how your confidence grows and before you know it you can tackle anything,worked for me a long time ago.

Were you doing this on the side or before you became a doctor?

Were you doing this on the side or before you became a doctor?
oh no the cats jumped right out of the bag,i couldn't be a doc as I would be struck off after a week.
female patient-doctor iv got a sore pinkie.
me-that's fine remove your clothing.
patient-what, ALLof it.

oh no the cats jumped right out of the bag,i couldn't be a doc as I would be struck off after a week.
female patient-doctor iv got a sore pinkie.
me-that's fine remove your clothing.
patient-what, ALLof it.

I removed my clothes and you wouldn’t even write me back! :rage::coldsweat:

Everyone seems to be asking a similar question about the selling of the reel to reel tapes. No answers have been forthcoming. I too bid on your tapes (if this is really you) and it was stated that no copies would be made. So now this turns up on your you tube page. What do you say to these repeated questions of the original sale of the reel to reel and tape?

He has sold the tapes, believe me. They are in the hands of a private collector whom I know.
The reel to reel tapes of the Decibel-demo's (Suffer and Hand) reside in a vault in Belgium. The buyer had the reel to reel tapes converted to digital though and has made several mixes of both songs which I have heard. The mixes sound great, (with all respect) ten times better than what Dale has uploaded on YT. He played me these mixes in June together with the recording of Boy.

I Want A Boy was not on a reel to reel, but on a regular cassette tape, of course.

Last edited:
He has sold the tapes, believe me. They are in the hands of a private collector whom I know.
The reel to reel tapes of the Decibel-demo's (Suffer and Hand) reside in a vault in Belgium. The buyer had the reel to reel tapes converted to digital though and has made several mixes of both songs which I have heard. The mixes sound great, (with all respect) ten times better than what Dale has uploaded on YT. He played me these mixes in June together with the recording of Boy.

I Want A Boy was not on a reel to reel, but on a regular cassette tape, of course.

Do you happen to know what this person is going to do with the tapes?

Waiting for some label to step up and offer big bucks for them?

Don’t know if Dale broke ‘contract’ promising to not make copies, but glad he had the heart to share them with everyone.

I don’t really think Dale sharing it devalues the price. Especially if Dale’s
are just copies and the quality isn’t as good as the originals, your friend or a label can still clean them up and remix and still make a profit, whenever that will happen, if ever, who knows?

I wonder what Morrissey thinks of it? he probably hasn’t heard it since.

I imagine the owner of the masters is currently reading this. Hey! Thank you for doing such a good job of preserving that old Ampex tape; I hope everyone hears your versions of Suffer Little Children and The Hand That Rocks The Cradle someday.

I don't think he'd mind me saying that he was in contact with Warners about an official release of some time ago but when it comes to such things everyone seems a bit scared of Morrissey.

Yes, I am aware of the gentlemen who won the reel to reel. I meet him back in the 90's in London at a Morrissey show. The point is still interesting that the sale said that copies would not be made. Obviously, copies were made and then shared the other day. I am sure our Belgian friend can't be pleased or was an agreement made? Just curious since I personally bid for the reel to reel myself. I also think that this would only enhance the value of the tapes. They will go for much more than what he paid for them at auction. I was keenly aware of that fact then.

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom