Bruce Springsteen to tour in 2012

Fulham Road Lights

Ill-adjusted
http://brucespringsteen.net/news/index.html

First chance I've had to see Bruce and I cannot wait. One of my top 3 artists along with Morrissey and Nick Cave and he's finally coming back to the UK. I've never been to a show in a football stadium either, it's going to be amazing. Anyone else going to one of these shows?

I saw Bruce twice in 1985, at St. James(Newcastle FC) ground. Utterly AMAZING...both shows.
However, the price of the tickets for his latest shows rules me right out...as do most gigs these days....Live music ticket prices are killing live music....

Re: Springsteen / Morrissey

Comparing the two is an apples and oranges thing, but only superficially. I'm a huge Springsteen fan, and I never wanted to be. I always wrote him off as a bad rock cliche that people my parents' age liked. But about ten years ago, I drove across the country with my girlfriend, and she had his Greatest Hits CD. She liked him mostly because he was handsome; I doubt she was actually that into the music. But as it played I was completely taken aback at how strong the lyrics were, and the sense of melody, and the musicianship. He was conveying these extremely serious, intellectual things but in the context of catchy, adrenalized rock and roll songs. It was poeticism without pretention, and very very few people can pull that off. He is one, Morrissey is another. (Aimee Mann, too, but I won't get started on her...)

Anyway, after that trip I dove seriously into his back catalog and was blown away. While I'm not a song-for-song obsessive like I am with Morrissey, I'd say that 90 percent of what I've heard of Springsteen's (which is a lot) is up there with anything Morrissey has done. And even the stuff of Springsteen's that I don't like I generally only reject on melodic terms; lyrically he can't be touched.

While it would have shocked me to read this post ten years ago, Springsteen and Morrissey have a great deal in common. Unless you absolutely cannot stomach The Boss, listen to Darkness On The Edge Of Town, Magic, Born In The USA, Nebraska...amazing, amazing music.

Just my opinion, but you might be surprised. Or not. Either way.

Hear hear!

Funny to hear you mention Magic. Personally I can't really stomach anything he's done post-Ghost of Tom Joad! Particularly the last album Working on a Dream really seemed to me to be Bruce caricaturing himself and everyone who groans on about him being too American would actually be right on the strength of that record alone.

Back
Top Bottom