"California Son" review by Oliver Thompson (1/10) - Exclaim!

Link posted by an anonymous person (original post):

California Son review - Exclaim! (1/10)
By Oliver Thompson

Excerpt:

For the most part, Morrissey sounds like a cheap facsimile of himself; an aged crooner without any latter-day grace. Moreover, the features list on this album, including Billie Joe Armstrong of Green Day, occasionally comes into play with no impact. Coupled with Morrissey's complete lack of finesse in his vocals are the instrumentals, which are, for the most part, the dictionary definition of clinical.

California Son represents a deep-rooted cynicism at the heart of a man who utters one thing publicly, yet cannot abide by it in his performance. However, its main problem is that it's just terminally boring. Do not listen to this album.

where does it actually say 1/10,its just a number 1,i would say its one out of five,very sneaky indeed to write it that way,its almost clickbait,im sure david t will let us know where he got that rating from.

Thickyboy. Other (far better) albums have scores of 7 and 8. Are they out of 5 as well?

Keep burying your head you thick, Scotch prick

Well, obviously this guy isn't reviewing the music here...

It's amusing how he seems to basically criticise Morrissey for other people's lyrics!

I agree with the review and I haven't heard the album yet, nor will I. What a grim bunch of songs. Completely pointless release.

What kind of music review makes zero mention of the actual music? Some of which has been well-known and well-liked for years so 1/10 would be ridiculous for that reason alone. It’s not as if Morrissey is doing some unlistenable thrash-metal version of these songs. Farcical.
No, he's doing bleak, early 70's (terrible era) AM radio schlock.

The eternal truth - those that have brown noses will hate the lower-grade reviews, while praising the knob-shining ones.
Twas ever thus. All comments on reviews are therefore null and void.

Any review of a work of art is extremely subjective... and yet a review that gives a piece of art a 1/10 is, at least, VERY weird.
No need to say that the review is strongly biased.

Anyway, a few days ago I remembered William Burroughs writing that the purpose of a "bad review" was not giving the readers an opinion about a book, but leading the readers to think that they don't want to read that book... His idea gets confirmed with this review, since the journalist wrote "do not listen to this album".

To be honest, I can't think of ANY album that deserves a 1/10... If we were meant to review posts, not even yours would deserve a 1/10. The journalist is simply showing that he is a fool rather than writing a proper review... 1/10 demonstrates it.

Morrissey's band are technically competent but hardly inventive and everyone knows what Morrissey's voice sounds like. He's not given the reviewers much to work with and they're making the least of it.

The eternal truth - those that have brown noses will hate the lower-grade reviews, while praising the knob-shining ones.

You are horrid just because you couldn't give him that shite blow job you dreamt of

Twas ever thus? Who do you think you are Mozzs twin? Bet you crack the chain attached to the pen in the voting booth for Cat Weasle and any other inane vote as long as you think it is right on as if it's a microphone cord

Last edited:
Unlikely, considering Morrissey is a homosexual. It’s a shame he’s so ashamed about it though. Especially as it’s 2019.

Is that true though? Noel Gallagher told a funny story about Morrissey's reaction to his wife when they met for a night of drinks. Seems like Morrissey appreciates the female form

This is the album where Johnny Marr finally smiled and said to himself, "yeah, I made the right decision." Can you imagine Johnny's reaction if Morrissey came to him and suggested that they do "Wedding Bell Blues?"

I will admit I am not a big fan of the album, mostly because I don't like the original songs that much to begin with, with a few exceptions like Wedding Bell Blues that I really love, but that review is just ridiculous, it's the kind of "I hate the guy, I will say nothing good about the music either" type of thing some so-called journalists put out when they can't do better.

Tags
california son info california son review

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom