"California Son" track listing posted on Morrissey Central

The Morrissey Covers Album - Morrissey Central
December 5, 2018

The track-list for Morrissey's California Son recording:

MORNING STARSHIP (Jobriath)
DON'T INTERRUPT THE SORROW (Joni Mitchell)
ONLY A PAWN IN THEIR GAME (Bob Dylan)
SUFFER THE LITTLE CHILDREN (Buffy Sainte Marie)
DAYS OF DECISION (Phil Ochs)
IT'S OVER (Roy Orbison)
WEDDING BELL BLUES (Laura Nyro)
LONELINESS REMEMBERS WHAT HAPPINESS FORGETS (Dionne Warwick)
LADY WILLPOWER (Gary Puckett & the Union Gap)
WHEN YOU CLOSE YOUR EYES (Carly Simon)
LENNY'S TUNE (Tim Hardin)
SOME SAY I GOT DEVIL (Melanie)

The album is produced by Joe Chiccarelli and will be released by BMG.

Swooning over the fact that he's included Lady Willpower. That's been a guilty pleasure of mine as well over the years. It alternately reminds me of Lou Rawls, Tom Jones, Elvis...

He's perverse enough to do either.

JFC, why put the effort into doing a studio album at all if it’s just to end or fulfill a contract? when he could of just put out a live record, saved money, done.

I feel he really wanted to do this record, doing covers for him seems almost as important to him as his original songs, as far as sharing with the public his innermost thoughts and who he is.

Oh my God.For me these are awfuls songs( at least most of them).When i try to listen i become to feel so depressed.I wonder why Morrissey songs are so great.That's because they were made by others ,not him.
Maybe his voice and music engineering make these songs better and good to hear.At least Back on the Chain Gang is a great song.

I reckon a classic American artists (except for one) covers album by the All-American California Son. Tim Hardin and Melanie? Blikey Uncle Steve, talk about deep cuts mate. I reckon me thinks "If I was a Carpenter" duet with Aunt Nancy would of been TOP ACE MENTAL. I reckon me thinks that you were going to cover "Under the Bridge" with John Frusciante but reckon that will come out later on the "Sunset Sound Sessions" and what the fek 'ell are you guys doing down there almost every day? Good on ya Uncle Steve mate inn nnn nnn nnn n n n n din't inn n nn n n n n it.

Why do you insist on coming here only to post what is essentially the same tired message ad finitum?

I assure you, you’re the ONLY one who thinks they’re funny.

JFC, why put the effort into doing a studio album at all if it’s just to end or fulfill a contract? when he could of just put out a live record, saved money, done.

I feel he really wanted to do this record, doing covers for him seems almost as important to him as his original songs, as far as sharing with the public his innermost thoughts and who he is.
I imagine the contract would read X number of albums of new material. The loophole being "nobody said original!"
I dunno. He's a very odd man. Teases mainstream by covering Pretenders, Ramones, etc, and then prepares to release anything but mainstream. Whatever the motivation, it should be interesting.

I have not heard of a single one of these songs although I have heard of 8 of the 12 artists. That's not a complaint. It's also not a surprise. Most of previous covers were songs I never heard. I'm hoping there are some pretty big reworks like he did with That's Entertainment because it's interesting to see how he re-imagines the songs.

Last edited:
I imagine the contract would read X number of albums of new material. The loophole being "nobody said original!"
I dunno. He's a very odd man. Teases mainstream by covering Pretenders, Ramones, etc, and then prepares to release anything but mainstream. Whatever the motivation, it should be interesting.

Has he ever released something mainstream?

Yes, an odd man ... THANK GOD !

so let’s not be so quick to draw conclusions based on such thin to nonexistent evidence.

Either way, I can careless about his reasons for doing things, just as long as he keeps doing it.

:):cool:

I can’t think of many mainstream covers he done even when in the smiths. Maybe the ramones and possibly Bowie but really here in the states it’s hard to find any young people who would recognize drive in Saturday. Most here I. The states don’t even really know back on the chain gang. Really though if we’re just talking about popularity Dylan Orbison Mitchell are all pretty well known legends and Carley Simon and Dionne Warwick aren’t exactly unknowns. What would be examples of mainstream songs you thought he might cover

I can’t think of many mainstream covers he done even when in the smiths. Maybe the ramones and possibly Bowie but really here in the states it’s hard to find any young people who would recognize drive in Saturday. Most here I. The states don’t even really know back on the chain gang. Really though if we’re just talking about popularity Dylan Orbison Mitchell are all pretty well known legends and Carley Simon and Dionne Warwick aren’t exactly unknowns. What would be examples of mainstream songs you thought he might cover

Generally you're correct but to say "Chain Gang" is not really known is absurd. It was a top 10 hit in the U.S., spending more than 6 months on the Billboard Top 100 and peaking at #5. I remember hearing it endlessly on the radio in the US at the time.

https://www.billboard.com/charts/hot-100/1983-04-02

Songs don't get much better known than that -- though granted there are some on that the chart that I have mercifully forgotten. :)

Has he ever released something mainstream?

Yes, an odd man ... THANK GOD !

so let’s not be so quick to draw conclusions based on such thin to nonexistent evidence.

Either way, I can careless about his reasons for doing things, just as long as he keeps doing it.

:):cool:
I think 100% he has attempted to release mainstream material and court the charts at points, and it was just as embarrassing as when others with integrity have attempted it before him. It always sticks out when an artist of worth attempts the big money single. I definitely agree with your last statement, though the inevitable specters of retirement or death loom large.

Yeah it’s what I think. I don’t expect animal rights activists to disown and attack every meat eater they know or to judge them solely on that one aspect of there being
That’s fantastic logic! Shame it doesn’t apply to Morrissey. ...a person who has and continues to make a living and name for himself by doing JUST that.

Give your wee noggin a rattle. You’re out to lunch here.

Playlist of the originals

Cheers for this. Listening now - it does actually make an interesting collection of songs and a great Spotify playlist.

I love the last 3 tracks none of which which I was overly familiar with.

I think 100% he has attempted to release mainstream material and court the charts at points, and it was just as embarrassing as when others with integrity have attempted it before him. It always sticks out when an artist of worth attempts the big money single. I definitely agree with your last statement, though the inevitable specters of retirement or death loom large.

Well, it depends on how you define mainstream.

Morrissey like any artist desires to have their
voice heard, but he has always attempted it on his own terms, Morrissey in the mainstream charts is more of an infiltration and not so welcomed by those who have bought their way into those same charts.

And considering this, he’s doing very well.

Tags
california son info

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom