Cancel The Tours!

ADAM

No One You Know
I will be wildly unpopular for stating this, but I would GENUINELY like to see Morrissey cancel the tour — UK, US, ALL SHOWS — and take a meaningful amount of time to rest. Am I completely alone in this?

I've had my share of shows canceled. I've lost money, and I mean a LOT of money. I've been peevish about it, but he collapsed on-stage. (I believe this is a first except for the time he got bottled.) [I await Jukebox Jury's official word on this one.]

I hate to see fans upset. It can't be a pleasant experience for him, either.

OK, there's my 2¢, and I am dodging under my fire-blanket. I'm hoping for some meaningful discussion, but I'm not peeping out until someone sounds the all-clear.

I also agree, after having been at Swindon and hearing how bad he sounded I would rather he rested for a while and re scheduled when he was feeling 100 percent again.

I tend to agree also....sure I'll be beyond gutted if the RAH is cancelled on me AGAIN but Morrissey's health MUST come first.

I'd rather have a Moz firing on all cylinders and in tip-top condition than a lack luster affair from a man who clearly needs to put his feet up and be pampered for a while (a job I'd happily take!;))

I do wish we'd get some official word soon though as travel arrangements are afoot and my babysitter is chomping at my heels! :rolleyes:

GET WELL SOON MOZ!

Love Alma xxx

Depends on the severity of the illness. It may have just been a bug or something that lasts a few days.

Imagine the costs involved in cancelling a whole tour. I am sure there is some insurance taken out to cover this but wonder if it covers the full amount. Also the band will probably need paying regardless of whether they play.

Obviously if the illness is something more serious then I would agree.

I would certainly give this weeks shows a miss.

It would be a mistake to cancel if he only fainted though? If it's more serious than that, then obviously he needs to reflect on whats best for him.

Surely he must be feeling significantly better if he hasn’t axed at least the next week of shows by now. Just b/c you feel like shit one day desn’t mean you are on death’s door. He probably has a bug, and was also dehydrated, both made worse by 8 hours of jet leg, and he went down. Nothing a few days of rest and some fluids won’t take care of.

I’m sure the last thing he wants is a repeat performance of Swindon, so I would trust him to make the right calls. If he turns up at RAH, you can probably surmise that he is feeling a hell of a lot better and is confident he can get it done.

Last edited:
Believe me when you are 50 it takes a lot longer to get over things than when you are younger. You do not have the same energy or defences as a younger person and are not as able to shake things off easily. In my opinion he needs to take a long rest and reflect on what is best for him. If that means only a very few occasional performances then so be it.

It would be a mistake to cancel if he only fainted though? If it's more serious than that, then obviously he needs to reflect on whats best for him.

I agree. We have no idea what happened - were it serious and doctor's had advised him to cancel the tour or part of it, i'm sure he would have done so.

It seems as if they've simply told him to have a day or two's rest, and then he's ok to continue.

Tomorrow night, if it goes ahead, will answer a lot of questions.

It seems to me that Morrissey (maybe more than any other singer) exists in the moment of the music. I believe him when he says that he is only fully alive on stage, and I believe him when he says that life offstage seems a bit unreal. Premature retirement for a man like that would be devastating.

Part of me hopes he does stop touring, though; he's clearly been struggling for most of '09, and it's painful to see. He's played some brilliant shows, but most of the time he has seemed clearly below par. Constantly disappointing the fans and getting your name in the media for being physically unwell is a terrible way to go.

I truly hope that he can find his way back to health and recover his mojo, but at this point he really seems to be pushing himself way too hard. That seldom ends well.

I agree. Moz should have a long break from touring after this incident. Losing consciousness and collapsing on stage doesn't bode well for the future.

And it's unfair, not only on himself, but for the fans that fork out a hell of a lot of money, travelling thousands of miles, following the band.

I'm with ADAM on this, even though I dearly want to be there for all the Dec. dates. He should take his time...and quit agreeing to such an insane touring schedule.

Why did I not see this thread earlier?

I’m sure the last thing he wants is a repeat performance of Swindon, so I would trust him to make the right calls. If he turns up at RAH, you can probably surmise that he is feeling a hell of a lot better and is confident he can get it done.

Cogent reasoning, except I don't trust El Mozzer to make the right calls, not recently and not about his health maintenance. : /

"Oh well, I'll never learn" springs to mind.

Hah, I should talk as I am currently ill and in bed. The difference is I'm not going to subject myself to returning to work until I'm all well. I also wouldn't want to expose immuno-compromised patients to pathogens from my own illness if I could help it.

I agree. As I posted on the RAH thread, exactly what is motivating him at the moment is unclear.

His cancellation record to date this year and Swindon bode ill. But what concerned me most was the fact that he looked overweight, unfit and unwell at the START of a tour in Brum. Who is advising him? Does anyone know who guides him?

There are many options which would be less tiring, but maintain his unique connection with the fans.

Mozza is a legend whom i have followed from the start of The Smiths. But if ever a career needed managing it is his, now.

Last edited:
Tags
adam idiot
Back
Top Bottom