Capital Punishment

Capital punishment

• Yes! kill the bastards, all of them!

Votes: 3 8.3%
  • Yes,but only in certain cases.

Votes: 15 41.7%
  • No! it is barbaric ,we live in a civlized age.

Votes: 12 33.3%
  • No! it is far more a punishment to spend their life in prison.

Votes: 5 13.9%
  • I do not know.

Votes: 1 2.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

oye terence

ampersand after ampersand
What are your feelings on capital punishment? Barbaric and unjust? an eye for an eye?

It costs more to hold a prisoner on death row than it does to hold a prisoner for a life sentence.Would your opinion change on the matter if capital punishment was more cost efficient?

If you are for capital punishment, should it only include certain crimes? Child killers? Cop killers? Anyone who commits first degree murder?

It actually costs more to put and keep a prisoner on death row than it would cost to give that same prisoner a life sentence.

It costs more to hold a prisoner on death row than it does to hold a prisoner for a life sentence.Would your opinion change on the matter if capital punishment was more cost efficient?

Wow, I never knew that though I'm not sure whether it changes things.
On one hand I agree with capital punishment because prisoner still has a life maybe a very low standard but never the less a life. I can't agree with the hypocracy of it and then there's the (hopefully very small) chance prisoner was wrongly convicted.
I don't know. :o

It's a faulty system. Studies have shown in past years that a great many death row inmates are actually innocent. Many have been exhonorated due to DNA evidence years after their improsonment.

Atleast with life in Prison as the max sentence, they have a chance to appeal, get new evidence admitted or bring new facts to light. How many innocent men have died for a crime they never commited? Until the judicial system becomes flawless (which it never will be) then the courts have no right to sentence a human being to die in my eyes.

Too many errors. Too many innocent deaths.

How so? Higher electric bills for the chair, or the high cost of the injections?

Report of the California Commission on the Fair Administration of Justice

* “The additional cost of confining an inmate to death row, as compared to the maximum security prisons where those sentenced to life without possibility of parole ordinarily serve their sentences, is $90,000 per year per inmate. With California’s current death row population of 670, that accounts for $63.3 million annually.”
* Using conservative rough projections, the Commission estimates the annual costs of the present (death penalty) system to be $137 million per year.
* The cost of the present system with reforms recommended by the Commission to ensure a fair process would be $232.7 million per year.
* The cost of a system in which the number of death-eligible crimes was significantly narrowed would be $130 million per year.
* The cost of a system which imposes a maximum penalty of lifetime incarceration instead of the death penalty would be $11.5 million per year.

MARYLAND New Study Reveals Maryland Pays $37 Million for One Execution
A new study released by the Urban Institute on March 6, 2008 found that Maryland taxpayers have paid at least $37.2 million for each of the state’s five executions since 1978 when the state reenacted the death penalty. The study, prepared by the Urban Institute, estimates that the average cost to Maryland taxpayers for reaching a single death sentence is $3 million - $1.9 million more than the cost of a non-death penalty case. The study examined 162 capital cases that were prosecuted between 1978 and 1999 and found that seeking the death penalty in those cases cost $186 million more than what those cases would have cost had the death penalty not been sought. At every phase of a case, according to the study, capital murder cases cost more than non-capital murder cases.

The 106 cases in which a death sentence was sought but not handed down in Maryalnd cost the state an additional $71 million. Those costs were incurred simply to seek the death penalty where the ultimate outcome was a life or long-term prison sentence.

It's a faulty system. Studies have shown in past years that a great many death row inmates are actually innocent. Many have been exhonorated due to DNA evidence years after their improsonment.

Atleast with life in Prison as the max sentence, they have a chance to appeal, get new evidence admitted or bring new facts to light. How many innocent men have died for a crime they never commited? Until the judicial system becomes flawless (which it never will be) then the courts have no right to sentence a human being to die in my eyes.

Too many errors. Too many innocent deaths.

this one of my issues with capital punishment.human error,i have no problem putting someone to death is they are indeed guilty.

And dare i say it but if it was more cost efficient to put someone to death rather than a life sentence then i would be much more for the death penalty.:eek:

I believe in the death penalty so passionately that if in real life the conversation comes up with family or friends i have to walk away.

But I think wanting it is pointless.The world is full of too many liberals and I can't see it ever coming back in the UK

I can live in hope I guess.

I believe in the death penalty so passionately that if in real life the conversation comes up with family or friends i have to walk away.

But I think wanting it is pointless.The world is full of too many liberals and I can't see it ever coming back in the UK

I can live in hope I guess.

Yes, well, you've stated numerous times that you think that meat-eaters and those who wear fur should be put to death, so it's hard to take your pro-death-penalty stance very seriously.

Yes, well, you've stated numerous times that you think that meat-eaters and those who wear fur should be put to death, so it's hard to take your pro-death-penalty stance very seriously.

I have never ever said carnivores should be put to death.My children and family eat meat!!So get your bloody facts right!:mad:

I think those men responsible for such atrocities as the Canadian Seal cull should meet a sticky end simply because its one of the most barbaric and inhuman deeds there is.

And yes child killers,serial rapists etc should fry.

Forensic evidence makes the mistakes of the past less liable to happen.If at all.

Barbaric, unjust, and unjustifiable. I don't care how long it takes to keep the perps alive on death row.

But I'm ok with abortion and euthania. Weird, huh?

Have you ever been the victim of a brutal crime or known family/friends who've been victimized? I only ask because I have had a semi-brutal crime touch my life so I definitely support the death penalty. If (god forbid) something happened to someone close to you, do you think you would have a change of heart?

yes, seal hunters would get the spiked hammer of everlasting thud right through the cranium.

yes, seal hunters would get the spiked hammer of everlasting thud right through the cranium.

Agreed.

I don't think cruelty to animals is worse than cruelty to children.I think its equal.Not because animals are more important than humans,but because cruelty and evil is just cruelty whomever it is directed at.

If you can club a baby seal to death and go home to your wife,what could you do to a human?

The death penalty would not eradicate murder,but it would reduce it because there would be a very real consequence to your actions.

And besides what's wrong with retribution and revenge?

Some people are plain evil and deserve to die.

If there was a definite criminal (pedophiles - they cannot be cured.) first and second degree murder, and people who drive under the influence and kill someone because of their actions. It's harsh, but that's just my opinion. And, answer me this- why haven't they fried Charles Manson yet??? We do lethal injection here but after the murder of Sharon Tate he should've been dead decades ago. His appeals for parole are hilarious. Also, rapists should be murdered too.

Last edited:
agreed.

I don't think cruelty to animals is worse than cruelty to children.i think its equal.not because animals are more important than humans,but because cruelty and evil is just cruelty whomever it is directed at.

If you can club a baby seal to death and go home to your wife,what could you do to a human?

The death penalty would not eradicate murder,but it would reduce it because there would be a very real consequence to your actions.

And besides what's wrong with retribution and revenge?

Some people are plain evil and deserve to die.

amen! :)

Tags
theo vs arsenal yuck! troll containment
Back
Top Bottom