China considers end to mandatory animal testing on cosmetics

Iona Mink

Despitemybetterjudgement
Does this deserve its very own thread? Dunno. It's getting one though.

China considers end to mandatory animal testing on cosmetics

By Zhang Dayu, CNN
November 15, 2013 -- Updated 0649 GMT (1449 HKT)

131114233121-china-white-rats-story-top.jpg

A worker holds white rats at an animal laboratory of a medical school in 2008 in Chongqing, China.

Hong Kong (CNN) -- Cosmetic companies and animal rights groups have welcomed a proposal by China to allow sales of some cosmetics without requiring them to be tested on animals.

Animal testing would no longer be mandatory for "non-specialized cosmetics", including shampoo, soaps and certain skin products manufactured in China from June next year, according to a document posted on the website of the China Food and Drug Administration earlier this month.

Beauty companies have long faced an ugly dilemma in China.

Local laws and regulations require animal testing for cosmetic products sold in the country, which has made the lucrative market a tricky area for brands that want to sell in China without alienating consumers in other places that frown upon animal testing.

"Non-specialized cosmetics produced in China could avoid toxicological testing after going through risk and safety checks," the China Food and Drug Administration said.

Imported cosmetics are not covered in the proposal. But the document indicated that China would gradually ease regulations on animal testing, which would allow more international firms opposed to animal testing to enter China's 134 billion yuan ($22 billion) cosmetics market.

Current regulations require all cosmetics to go through a lengthy approval process known as "toxicological testing" which involves testing on animals like rabbits and guinea pigs.

"The Body Shop welcomes the signals that the Chinese authorities are adopting a new approach to cosmetic testing," spokeswoman Louise Terry said in emailed comments from London.

"We have campaigned against animal testing for over 20 years and we look forward to selling our products in China one day."

Cosmetic brand Urban Decay last year abandoned plans to sell its products in China in response to pressure from consumers and campaign groups, according to Cruelty Free International.

Dave Neale, animal welfare director at campaign group Animal Asia, told CNN the planned changes had come quicker than expected given that local campaigns against animal testing have only been going for two years.

"That's a very significant development because it took many years for European Union to allow these products to be sold (without being tested on animals)."

Earlier this year, a complete ban on the sale of cosmetics developed through animal testing took effect in the European Union.

But Neale added that this proposal would not mark the end of animal testing in China.

"As far as I'm aware, products can still be tested on animals. It just opens the opportunity for non-animal products to be sold," he said.

Test on humans. There's plenty of us out there and at least they can volunteer for a small sum, unlike animals who have no voice and get no reward.

Test on humans. There's plenty of us out there and at least they can volunteer for a small sum, unlike animals who have no voice and get no reward.

I don't think you would be as cheap as a mouse Davie. Or would you? I suppose once you factor into housing the animals, feeding them, making sure they are in the appropriate health, perhaps it does work out cheaper.

How are cosmetics tested in the EU now if not on animals? Does anyone know?

I think this is a positive step in making animal testing a thing of the past. And of it can happen with cosmetics, hopefully pharmaceuticals will be joining the trend in the not so distant future as well.

Now if only Saudi Arabia will allow their women to drive.

yeah, I would love to applaud China on this one:thumb:
but the truth is that here there is an ample number of incredibly poor people who would willingly "submit" to such testing :eek:
in order to get paid some tiny amount :straightface:

yeah, I would love to applaud China on this one:thumb:
but the truth is that here there is an ample number of incredibly poor people who would willingly "submit" to such testing :eek:
in order to get paid some tiny amount :straightface:

But Robby...they have the choice.

I don't see it that way :straightface:
the choices that people make out of hunger or not wanting to be homeless are not really "choices" :o

In Britain we actually had volunteers who began programmes for nut allergies. From what I've heard, it was peanuts they were paid, but they did it out of hope. Not materialistic stuff.

I think testing on humans is the lesser of two evils. Animals don't even have a voice to be heard. They don't get paid. They usually get killed after their "uses". I doubt that would happen with humans.

In Britain we actually had volunteers who began programmes for nut allergies. From what I've heard, it was peanuts they were paid, but they did it out of hope. Not materialistic stuff.

I think testing on humans is the lesser of two evils. Animals don't even have a voice to be heard. They don't get paid. They usually get killed after their "uses". I doubt that would happen with humans.
wow, I really don't see it that way at all :confused: let me be clear though, I think testing on animals should only be legal of medical purposes :straightface:
its despicable that testing on animals goes on for something as frivolous as cosmetics :cool: but people(mainly women) have the power to change this with the products they choose to buy
and science is making strides in other areas like
http://www.examiner.com/article/synthetic-livers-developed-to-end-animal-drug-testing
synthetic livers to run drug tests on, I have faith in "Science" helping us to feel our way out of this moral quagmire
scientist-emoticon.gif
on that front
however, reiterating the point in my first response to this thread :o
I am pretty sure that here in China the move towards ending "mandatory"* cosmetic testing on animals has 0 to do with some kind of moral epiphany by the government here
its more that companies would rather use human test subjects they can now select from the ever growing teeming mass of incredibly poor who have been left behind by the move from "Communism" to what basically amounts to "laissez-faire capitalism"**:eek:
but then again I am humanist not an animalist first and foremost, so yeah, of course some weirdo like me :rolleyes:
is going to care the most about the plight of my fellow human beings and after that about animals

*=so yeah, this law is probably not strictly enforced anyways, nothing is here, bribery is the rule, not "enforcement"
**=think of China as a vast, mostly hidden "Kleptocracy" unlike say in Russia where it is very in your face, here it is more subtle but all pervasive

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom