Cleopatra Records Spins Into U.S. Distribution With Morrissey Biopic ‘Steven’ - Deadline

Cleopatra Records Spins Into U.S. Distribution With Morrissey Biopic ‘Steven’ - Deadline

Excerpt:

EXCLUSIVE: Brian Perera’s LA-based label Cleopatra Records is expanding into film distribution and production; eyeing projects focused on indie music and its icons. Its first move is acquiring all U.S. rights to Morrissey biopic Steven with Jack Lowden as the legendary British singer and front man of The Smiths. Jessica Brown Findlay also stars.

First-time helmer Mark Gill is directing Steven from a script he co-wrote with William Thacker, his collaborator on the 2014 Oscar nominated short The Voorman Problem. HanWay is handling international sales on the project, which is scheduled for production this month. EOne previously acquired UK rights. Cleopatra is planning a day-and-date release.

This is the first project to be theatrically distributed by Cleopatra’s film division, following a number of smaller ventures and partnerships on indie titles. It is looking to produce, finance and distribute three to four films a year.

Excellent news! Record contract to follow would make our year. I hope he gets on with the President and it could work out this time. He may have to put in his own money but it would be worth it.

If he was ever going to sign with an indie label Cleopatra would be a great fit. I know buying the distribution rights to this biopic means little to nothing in terms of a record deal but it doesn't hurt to dream, right? They seem to have a very nurturing attitude toward artists.

Last edited:
When is he going to stop this or is he?

Morrissey doesn't need a record deal when he can sell out venues in California in 5 seconds on livenation and ticketmaster with not having to travel more than 500 miles from his house.

So it's a "day-and-date release". I could be wrong, but to me that's the same as "straight to VHS".

"Straight to VHS"? LOL. Try DVD. I'm just worried this movie won't capture the Moz accurately. But I hope it does. Fingers crossed.

#GoVegan

So it's a "day-and-date release". I could be wrong, but to me that's the same as "straight to VHS".

That's got to hurt. A film made without his consent about himself distributed by a record company expanding it's reach into the film industry. The irony is spiralling on itself. Surely this film will have no Smiths music in it as far as the soundtrack goes.

That's got to hurt. A film made without his consent about himself distributed by a record company expanding it's reach into the film industry. The irony is spiralling on itself. Surely this film will have no Smiths music in it as far as the soundtrack goes.

It is quite an amusing thought or you could say : because Morrissey's teens were so miserable they made a movie about it which then was picked up by a record company which then liked Morrissey so much they gave him a record deal. Tears of joy from pain..oh , the irony....

Though it probably doesn't need Smiths music, I guess. Only 60s/70s music. I'm not sure what the timeframe of the storyline is, though.

The Damned are on this label. I smell a new record deal. Note to Morrissey: i know the yes men you surround yourself with won't tell you this. For once, for yourself, swallow your pride , keep a level head and go for it. The damned have a record deal for god sake.

Though it probably doesn't need Smiths music, I guess. Only 60s/70s music. I'm not sure what the timeframe of the storyline is, though.

Yeah I imagine this to be the case. a jobriath song here a damned song there with probably a new York dolls one added as well

I just meant as far as promotion goes it wouldn't hurt the film having There Is A Light... blasting over the preview. A sound yet to be heard as it was or more accurately will be.

- - - Updated - - -

which is why they so cleverly didn't go into the Smiths years. Though they will have a shot of them doing 'I want a boy for my birthday' with Maker on maracas! So,there's something to not look forward to.

It's nice to imagine him as a teen but that was the least interesting part of Autobiography for me personally.

which is why they so cleverly didn't go into the Smiths years. Though they will have a shot of them doing 'I want a boy for my birthday' with Maker on maracas! So,there's something to not look forward to.

What about singing Peppermint Heaven, with Slaughter and the Dogs?

A nosebleeds song would be neat but I can't imagine him wanting those out there. Should probably have a Bowie or ramones song but those will be to expensive to license

I can see him NOT signing BECAUSE of the film rights they will acquire. Or signing in exchange that they don't release it in the States. Or...

unfortunately, me too. I think he has changed though. Err, i think he sees the error his ways?

Does it really matter which label or how they treated him if the end goal is a great tour, great new songs, and he gets to hang with the band again?

Hopefully boredom will get the best of him

A nosebleeds song would be neat but I can't imagine him wanting those out there. Should probably have a Bowie or ramones song but those will be to expensive to license

Nosebleed tunes couldn't be any worse than Happy Lovers At Last United, Fantastic Bird, Safe Warm Lancashire Home or the equally powerful Lifeguard On Duty.

Now tell someone tell me they are hidden gems. Well they're not hidden anymore but...

Last edited:
Nosebleed tunes couldn't be any worse than Happy Lovers At Last United, Fantastic Bird, Safe Warm Lancashire Home or the equally powerful Lifeguard On Duty.

Now tell someone tell me they are hidden gems. Well they're not hidden anymore but...

Oh you could argue they'd be are worse. I've never heard them or really looked for them but depending on how they were recorded I'm betting you could argue that the production is probably worse. Be neat just for the historical alignment though

Oh you could argue they'd be are worse. I've never heard them or really looked for them but depending on how they were recorded I'm betting you could argue that the production is probably worse. Be neat just for the historical alignment though

I get the curiosity but for me personally I don't need or want every mystery solved, because you know what happens to mystery then don't you?

Tags
england is mine movie

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom