Collecting "Shakespeare's Sister"

Here's something to contribute, I hope.

I was playing around with my copies Of Shakespeare's Sister when I noticed that my UK Rough Trade 7" had what looked to me like a second label. I have a few records that have two labels applied, and it's usually a pressing error of some sort. I have a copy of The Fall's "Slates" that had the Rocky Horror Picture Show soundtrack label on it. So no big deal, right?

photo 1.JPG

But on further inspection (I was bored) I noticed that the printing on the bottom label didn't quite match. I couldn't make it out, but it was definitely different. Grabbing a lens, I noticed that my label had a flap. Why would it have a flap? Well, it was a manually-applied sticker over the original label, and the backing paper hadn't been completely removed. I decided to chance it, and delicately raised the 26-year-old label up, and here's what I found:

photo 3-1.JPG

Different credits for Shakespeare's Sister. Now who knows if this means that there was a second version of the song that was produced by Porter, or if it was simply a copy-editing error. These credits do match the production credits for "William It Was Really Nothing," the previous single by the Smiths. Mystery or Mistake?

For Stephane, the spine codes are: RT 181 A-1U-1-1-X1 / RT 181 B-1U-1-1-X1 and signed by TimTom

Back
Top Bottom