"Cosmic Dancer" b/w "That's Entertainment" vinyl 7" released today (February 19, 2021)

73E2BCA0-9201-4EE6-BED2-10A7EE68EA21-min.png

First mentioned last August and 3 months after the digital release of Cosmic Dancer, today sees the official release date of the double A-side black vinyl.
This release appears to be very widely available with HMV, Mporium, most Amazons & Indies having good stocks.
Amazon & HMV briefly listed the release date as January 29, both revising it shortly thereafter.
It will more than likely chart quite high on the vinyl singles chart based on previous releases.

There is no matrix message on either side of the record.

F3295296-12F1-4065-A4ED-84477B0B0410.jpg
5DDA0BD0-3A92-42AC-81FB-BE2F21C9584A.jpg

(above pics via @AngelosBarry)

Cosmic Dancer is mis-dated as February 6, 1991 (the Kill Uncle Tour didn't start until the end of April, '91).
The actual date of the gig was June 2, 1991 at The Great Western Forum (the venue's name at the time).
This appears to be an error based on the US/UK dating systems and clearly wasn't checked thoroughly.

PXL_20210215_1044252962~2.jpg

The Morrissey Central assertion re: That's Entertainment:
"...The recording is not the aborted version from 1994..."
may well remain a mystery (or perhaps is as erroneous as the dating of Cosmic Dancer).

Update:

That's Entertainment became available on a variety of digital music hosts/shops some time after midnight UK time.
The track appeared on YouTube thereafter too (with comments turned off):

Regards,
FWD.

Related Items:

WMG: "Sure Sam, no problem kiddo..." doh:

Thank You for the footage. Still chills.

"Oh, at the request of Morrissey? The Morrissey? Well, in that case we're happy to make an exception..."

What do people feel about the new version of "That's Entertainment"? I wish it was a bit more acoustic. That would have been cool with just a bass, piano and a vocal. Morrissey never seems to highlight his voice which is so amazing! He blew me away when he sang "Bye Bye Blackbird" acapella in Myrtle Beach. Maybe something like what Nick Cave did with Cosmic Dancer (didn't like his version at all). I have to say I like the original better since this seems kinda like a demo of that version.

Last edited:
What do people feel about the new version of "That's Entertainment"? I wish it was a bit more acoustic. That would have been cool with just a bass, piano and a vocal. Morrissey never seems to highlight his voice which is so amazing! He blew me away when he sang "Bye Bye Blackbird" acapella in Myrtle Beach. Maybe something like what Nick Cave did with Cosmic Dancer (didn't like his version at all). I have to say I like the original better since this seems kinda like a demo of that version.
I don't think the additional instrumentation is an improvement on the original really. I prefer the rawness of the earlier version. Less is more, I suppose.

I don't dislike either track, but I don't particularly adore them either - just... meh. With That's Entertainment, I cannot understand why Morrissey wants to fiddle around with a recording he made almost 30 years ago - it adds, in my opinion, nothing to his canon. That being said, his voice on That's Entertainment is on fine form; I keep anticipating the song to build in energy, but it just meanders on before fading away...

Regardless, it was lovely to receive this 45 in the post this morning. I suppose only Morrissey knows why he chose to release this 45, as I doubt he will make much money from it all - no song writing royalties for either track, and a joint effort on the A side. Pure vanity - what else would we expect from the wonderful Moz!

I don't dislike either track, but I don't particularly adore them either - just... meh. With That's Entertainment, I cannot understand why Morrissey wants to fiddle around with a recording he made almost 30 years ago - it adds, in my opinion, nothing to his canon. That being said, his voice on That's Entertainment is on fine form; I keep anticipating the song to build in energy, but it just meanders on before fading away...

Regardless, it was lovely to receive this 45 in the post this morning. I suppose only Morrissey knows why he chose to release this 45, as I doubt he will make much money from it all - no song writing royalties for either track, and a joint effort on the A side. Pure vanity - what else would we expect from the wonderful Moz!
It most likely has nothing to do with Morrissey at all. Most here are not familiar how record contracts work (and why should they).
More often than not an artist gives away the right of all recordings to the label for the duration of the contract period. The label can release the recordings in any form and any time they want to, in return the artist receives promo, studio money, etc, what's agreed on between them.
So when you read X mainstream singer signs a million dollar deal for 3 albums,it means the label has the right to re-cycle the recordings made countless times on Best Ofs, Christmas compilations, whatnot.
Of course, if there's good relationshiop between the parties, they can reach out to the artist regarding the artwork, extra tracks etc, but they don't have to. In short: possibly after the video leak last the summer (?) Parlophone just thought they'd cash-in.

I was hoping this version of That’s Entertainment might be a new, more raucous rendition, so I’m disappointed to note that it’s a slow, acoustic snooze-athon like his previous attempt.

After a couple of verses, I was about to switch it off when I noticed it was almost over; it seems even Moz was so bored of it that he couldn’t even be bothered to finish singing the whole song?

A decent version of That’s Entertainment might have persuaded me to pick this single up, but I definitely won’t be now. I love Morrissey singing Cosmic Dancer but this version with Bowie simply isn’t good; their voices just do not blend well & Bowie sounds awful.

I think the only reason this single exists is so that Morrissey could see his name next to his childhood hero’s on a record sleeve.
My copies just landed, have to agree with all of this. Was hoping for a "live in Dallas" type blast of 'That's Entertainment ' Ah well I like the sleeve......

I don't think the additional instrumentation is an improvement on the original really. I prefer the rawness of the earlier version. Less is more, I suppose.
Spot on here, the earlier version has a raw charm and is superior I think. I was expecting something a bit more up tempo.

Bowie was never "indie" or anti-commercial though, whereas Morrissey was (is?). So if you're making a point it's a very lazy one.
Moz is anti-commercial? The guy who signs other peoples records and charges a fortune for them?

Moz is anti-commercial? The guy who signs other peoples records and charges a fortune for them?

The scale of that is so tiny, it's not commercial. It's like they're trying to make the petrol money back.

And hilarious that the original unearthed Tim treasure has now been removed from SER's YT due to copyright concerns from WMG. The sheer slick professionalism of the whole affair buggers belief. The Dame would be in awe...

Does anyone still have it?

🙄

The scale of that is so tiny, it's not commercial. It's like they're trying to make the petrol money back.
Yah but Moz isn't a new artist trying to scrape a few quid together to buy a microphone. He's a multi millionaire worth around $50 million. He's been rich since near the end of The Smiths.

But I do get your point. He wouldn't reform The Smiths just for money, or wouldn't make an album just to be commercial.

Morrissey has made a career of being the outsider. People are making such a big deal about signing some records of other artist that Morrissey likes ("ultimately saying listen to these albums"). It was all just a bit of fun and marketing. The venom that came after was solely about his politics. Again, he does not have meet and greets like all these wankers who criticized him do. That is low, but they are not talented so they have to do that. It's not like he was selling them at Woolworths for goodness sake. It was at a couple of shows. I would have loved to buy one, but the price tag was a bit too high for me. I think they were like $500 or something. I am sure those will be worth more one day!

P.S. Does anyone have one for sale? I would love to buy.

Last edited:
None. Apart from kerching $$. I think the Bowie Moz duet is shit anyway, they aren't in sync with each other and I much prefer Moz doing in live himself on his own, as heard on the b-side of Preggers For The Last Time. Of course Marc Bolan's original version is the definitive one.
Yeah it's a poor version alright. Bowie's voice just doesn't work with Morrissey's voice very well. How much cash can you hope to make from this release anyway? A vinyl pic disc of Honey you know where to find me, now this one. I await the next release with no anticipation whatsoever.

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom