Crimbo Number 1?

Hey all, as we all know the Brits are suckers for novelty, charity or curio records over the festive season.

How many of you would think it to be a good idea for him to shack up with Rick Astley to do a reworking of "The Last Of The Famous International Playboys" to release in time for Christmas? After all, he used the pic of them hobnobbing on Top of the Pops in 1989 for the Major Minor re-issue back in 2014. I think it'd be fun.

Also, I don't think that Morrissey hated Stock/Aitken/Waterman's music. Their first number 1 record was with Dead Or Alive's "You Spin Me Round" in 1985, and Morrissey praised it as being "A hallmark of British pop music, and it'll never, ever date!" He also apparently asked Rick "How is dear Sinitta?" when he first met him. Sinitta at the time had a string of pop hits like "So Macho" and a cover of the 1975 soul hit "Right Back Where We Started From" produced by S.A.W.

The only artist from their stable that I know of him to have attacked was Kylie Minogue some years ago, but she graciously took it on the chin.

In a pop quiz in Smash Hits magazine, Tony James from Sigue Sigue Sputnik incorrectly guessed Morrissey for the quote "Stock, Aitken and Waterman are polluting the minds of young people". It came not from him, but from Wendy James of Transvision Vamp who back then was almost as big a loose cannon as Morrissey with her less than charitable comments about several pop stars of the day.

After three years of Christmas number 1's about sausage rolls, we need a break and have one about a serial killer. No offence to Ladbaby, I think they're great but musically they're pretty much overdoing the one-trick-pony theme even though the money they make goes to a noble cause.

Hey all, as we all know the Brits are suckers for novelty, charity or curio records over the festive season.

How many of you would think it to be a good idea for him to shack up with Rick Astley to do a reworking of "The Last Of The Famous International Playboys" to release in time for Christmas? After all, he used the pic of them hobnobbing on Top of the Pops in 1989 for the Major Minor re-issue back in 2014. I think it'd be fun.

Also, I don't think that Morrissey hated Stock/Aitken/Waterman's music. Their first number 1 record was with Dead Or Alive's "You Spin Me Round" in 1985, and Morrissey praised it as being "A hallmark of British pop music, and it'll never, ever date!" He also apparently asked Rick "How is dear Sinitta?" when he first met him. Sinitta at the time had a string of pop hits like "So Macho" and a cover of the 1975 soul hit "Right Back Where We Started From" produced by S.A.W.

The only artist from their stable that I know of him to have attacked was Kylie Minogue some years ago, but she graciously took it on the chin.

In a pop quiz in Smash Hits magazine, Tony James from Sigue Sigue Sputnik incorrectly guessed Morrissey for the quote "Stock, Aitken and Waterman are polluting the minds of young people". It came not from him, but from Wendy James of Transvision Vamp who back then was almost as big a loose cannon as Morrissey with her less than charitable comments about several pop stars of the day.
He was dissing Kylie Minogue because I was favoring her over him.

christmas no 1 should be about christmas.it lost all meaning when the winner of things like pop idol would go straight in like a bullet to the top of the charts.we have heard wizard,slade and mud a million times but they are christmas songs because they bring back memories of childhood of when christms was a special time,tinsel and cards in the shops in september,people going mental for a cheap tv on black friday,unless you have kids its a sunday with a better dinner.

Surely a better song would be a duet with Rick Astley singing Fairytale of New York. The best Christmas song of all time and a nod towards Kirsty.

Always wanted him to sing over this track, i can almost hear him.

Sadly, no. Britain has succumbed to the politically correct Gestapos and banned the song from airplay because of the use of the word "f*****" in it.

Kirsty MacColl was singing a f***** free version back in 1992, they were sensitive to and aware of Alf Garnett syndrome back then.
And here's Shane himself understanding why the word would get bleeped outhttps://www.irishtimes.com/culture/...-f*****-reference-in-christmas-song-1.3723622

Fine song and i don't have a problem with the word from a song writing point of view.

Back
Top Bottom