Cruel World Co-performers, English Beat's Dave Wakeling suggests fans can leave early before Morrissey plays

Dave Wakeling, frontman of English Beat and Co-performer of Cruel World Festival, tells fans they can leave early before Morrissey show....

unnamed (1).jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Dear Dave: I confess that I will arrive after your set. Put your money where your mouth is. Just boycott the festival and play in front of the usual 48 people at the Balboa Cafe.

pil will always have Lydon to boost there profile and the damned have really worked to keep up a profile in the us releasing albums and touring with newer bands
Hasn't Lydon got a butter advert to be getting on with?

Dave Wakeling, frontman of English Beat and Co-performer of Cruel World Festival, tells fans they can leave early before Morrissey show....

View attachment 73625

Dave Woke-ding a ling KNOWS there's a lot of consternation about the headliner of the festival.
The rational amongst us don't buy tickets to festivals if we don't like who is headlining it. Trying to get a little controversial publicity for self is not cool english git.....teat...whatever.

Sadly, although misplaced, there is genuine widespread hatred for Morrissey out there in the indie world and this is an indie festival. I can't see him ever being invited to a UK festival again, let alone headlining one, unless he makes it very clear that he is a not a supporter of (or campaigner for) the far right, which he has yet to do.
Of course, we all know that he doesn't have consistent right-wing politics - he's praised Corbyn, Galloway and Sanders in relatively recent times - not just the various right-wing figures. Unfortunately, though, it was only the far-right politics of For Britain that he gave an official endorsement to, and that's what's stuck in people's heads.

Last edited:
:mad:
unknown twat.:blushing:
'nerak' has more twitters than this dorko_O
odds are hes from yorkshire(n)

🇭🇷>.:hammer:

Sadly, although misplaced, there is genuine widespread hatred for Morrissey out there in the indie world and this is an indie festival. I can't see him ever being invited to a UK festival again, let alone headlining one, unless he makes it very clear that he is a not a supporter of (or campaigner for) the far right, which he has yet to do.
Of course, we all know that he doesn't have consistent right-wing politics - he's praised Corbyn, Galloway and Sanders in relatively recent times - not just the various right-wing figures. Unfortunately, though, it was only the far-right politics of For Britain that he gave an official endorsement too, and that's what's stuck in people's heads.
:rolleyes:

shouldnt you be organizing the latest bogus auction?(n)
glue a couple of old album covers together and auction as
a gold record?(n)

🇭🇷>:hammer:

To be fair, I didn’t read any objection in the message. In fact, it seemed quite dismissive of the ‘problem’ to me: ‘if you don’t like him, don’t watch him!’.

They should like him though! It's insanely overblown.

To be fair, there will be a lot of people there to see Bauhaus primarily, and many of them will most likely leave straight after. When you read posts about Cruel World on every other artis's/band's social media, there is an overwhelming moaning and disdain for Moz headlining, and whether right or wrong, I think that it just goes to show how far his unsavoury comments and views have hurt him over the last four or five years.

Lest we forget , as Moz wrote in Autobiography , Dave Wakeling turned up at his flat n London in 1984 and Moz didn't know who he was!!

To be fair, there will be a lot of people there to see Bauhaus primarily, and many of them will most likely leave straight after. When you read posts about Cruel World on every other artis's/band's social media, there is an overwhelming moaning and disdain for Moz headlining, and whether right or wrong, I think that it just goes to show how far his unsavoury comments and views have hurt him over the last four or five years.

Only one shitty comment from someone on The Bunnymen's twitter feed. Unfortunately they provided a link to the For Britain wikipedia page where it mentions that Morrissey declared his support for them in 2018.

Only one shitty comment from someone on The Bunnymen's twitter feed. Unfortunately they provided a link to the For Britain wikipedia page where it mentions that Morrissey declared his support for them in 2018.
Nope. I've seen loads of disparaging remarks on Bauhaus/Peter Murphy pages, DEVO's, The Damned, Cold Cave, Christian Death, etc., and these are the pages that I happen to follow on Facebook and/or Instagram.

Oh dear - I didn't know he was on their Wikipedia page. So it looks like he's in the same paragraph as Tommy Robinson, the BNP and the English Defence League. Ugly stuff.
If he ever wants to climb out of this hole he's got himself into, he needs to formally retract his support for these f***ers. He can save face by saying it was only Anne MW that he was ever interested in, and at least she was in the Labour party originally. He could still praise her as a pro-animal rights feminist. Otherwise, if he does nothing, the stigma will never leave him as we're seeing three years on.

Given the wide-spread hatred of Morrissey amongst the social media crowd, I think him playing any festivals is going to be chancy. It's much better that those folks who hate him leave the venue before his set starts, rather than stick around to boo and throw cans of drink etc. This particular festival looks so retro and 80's I think he'll be OK, but I can easily see a repeat of Finsbury Park 92, with him getting bottled off stage at some venue.

I can easily see a repeat of Finsbury Park 92, with him getting bottled off stage at some venue.
80% of the people at the festival are coming for Morrissey, and 80% of that 80% will be mestizos who don't give one flying f*** about his politics.

I seem to see a pattern here. Anyone that says anything remotely off putting about Morrissey the crowd run to assume it's a horrible statement about Morrissey (the Mozster mentality strikes again!). Dave is not saying anything nasty about Morrissey. He is simply just stating the facts that if you were not going to the festival on principle that Morrissey is playing still come and skip his performance. He is actually just helping to promote the event. No slam on Morrissey.
Yeah, subtly like that is often lost here. While Morrissey is headlining it doesn't mean the entire crowd is there for him. As someone else mentioned, I hope he does more of a "hits setlist" in acknowledgment of this... but we all know he won't.

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom